A White Minority

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by anchorpuller, Jan 9, 2008.

1. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I was just thinking about a friend of mine that lives up in Western North Carolina. She's a yankee transplant and one of the sweetest ladies I know.

She introduced me to a beauty, I'd never seen. The white squirrel.

I'm not talking about an albino squirrel here. In Brevard County, where she lives, they are a healthy protected population. When visiting her the first time, I was astounded by the beauty of the animal.

There is a story behind them coming there, but I really don't remember it. Something about a carnival truck overturning and some getting loose.

Anyway...have any of you ever seen the beauty of the white squirrel?

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJedQ6N9694

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Laura, pretty animal. What do you think their population is? In my timber there is getting to be a colony of black squirrels. Very aggressive and are pushing out the reds and grays. Wonder if the guys you took pictures of are the same.

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    they are pretty but i don't like squirrels. especially when they get their beady little hand on shed antlers before i have time to find them. lol

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Cute little critter, didn't know they came in that color. John mentioned black squirrels, I've never seen one of them either.

5. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    they are pretty. there is a town here in MO. that when you enter the town sign says HOME OF THE WHITE SQUIRREL

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There used to be a few black squirrels around here. Don't know what happened but I haven't seen any in awhile. Squirrels here are gray, although I did see a fox squirrel here once.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Like Mike said, Marionville Mo. post a sign stateing it's the home of the white squirrle.

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Cool looking squirrel Laura! Never seen a white one before! Thanks for the pic & video! :big_smile:

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  10. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Gary, that was a good read on em. I do believe that circus caravan got around! :big_smile:

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Yep Marionville Mo. is known for the white squirrels.
    Council Bluffs Ia. is known for the black squirrels.
    Arkansas is known for, LOL well never mind.....:wink::big_smile:

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Didnt ya mean North Carolina Spoon:wink:
    Oh hi Miss Anchorpuller:haha:prety cool lill critter there.
    Beetle put me up to it:wink: I swear he did ............AHhhh YUP thats my storey and I am sticking to it:big_smile:

13. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Laura, good pictures, I have never seen a white one but we do have a lot of black ones in Council Bluffs. Thanks for sharing, tried to rep you but they said I had to spread the love around a little LOL
    Sharon

14. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Marysville, KS has a sign on the edge of town that says "Home of the Black Squirrel" also.

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I was very young we lived in Franklin Ohio. There were white squirrels all over the town. I think they were albino though with pink eyes. I have never seen the white ones like in your photos. Thanks for the good pics.:smile2:

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in good old Danville Ohio (the best one out of three) we had a fox squirrel with a white tail. He came to our bird feeders one winter. As soon as spring broke he got ran over by a car. I guess having a white tail didn't make him any smarter. Sure was pretty to look at though.:sad2: