a weird fish???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Johnny B, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    So my buddies went boating today and he stoped at my work afterwards to show me a pic of what they found... I'm not sure what they call them but I think it was a shovelnose...It was long and had a bunch of fins and its eyes were on top of it's long paddle like nose...It definately wasn't a gar and this thing was about three feet long. It was still breathing but it was hit by a boat and the nose was broken on it. I looked up the species in the Illinois river but this thing wasn't one of them. Would any one have any idea what it was or have any pictures of them. I looked online but I'm not sure what they are called.:confused2:

2. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    No the eyes were on it's on a long wide nose...It almost looked like a paddle. I'll try to post the pics of it tommorow if I can get them

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  4. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Yes I just got done researching and it is a Paddlefish. Them are crazy looking. Are them another kind of fish you have to snag to catch? I'm thinking twice about swimming in the river...:embarassed:

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yes Johnny!! Paddlefish have to be snagged in order to catch them!! As a matter of fact, I applied for a snagging permit to catch one of those beasts. If chosen, I will be fishing the Missouri River, close to the South Dakota border. I heard these fish taste awesome. Kind hard to believe they can get so big from just eating plant matter and plankton!!:eek:oooh: My friend invited me to try it this year, so I'm hoping I can get the permit!! Like $21!!

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Nothin to worry abou tthe eat only plankton...they are the only fish around here that absoultly wont bite you have to snag...all the carp and such bite around here...but no the sponnbill!

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Make the trip to yankton and fish right below gavins point dam...best spoonbill spot north of the ozarks!!!Did you apply for it in nebraska or SD...In iowa we just snag we dont need a license just a sport fishing license

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I applied for the license on the Nebraska side. Resident snagging permit.

9. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Spoonbill are awesome to eat !!! They are some of the best fish I have ever eaten !!!!!!!!!!:big_smile:

10. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    We call 'em paddlefish and I have taken a few here in So. Dakota behind the dam at Pierre, SD. They are snagged with a large rig of Treble hooks and a weight. OK to eat, but I prefer perch or walleye.

11. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
  12. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    one of my dads old friends brought some to us to eat he showed me a pic of one an i was kind iffy bout eating it but once i ate sum i was in love it was sum of the best eating fish iv ever had:big_smile: wish we had sum in the james

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    nice fish, spoonble lololol:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: man there funny looking but id loikie to get one