A weekend to remember!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by riverrat85, Aug 3, 2008.

1. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    Well where do i start. A couple buddies of mine and I decided to fish a tournament on the kaskaskia at smittys friday night. we have been on the river practicing for this for the last 4 weeks. Found some real good holes so i was very confident going into the night. Tournament time, cant find fish if our lives depended on it. 3am we finally get into some fish and was able to weigh in a 62lb stringer for the 8am weigh in. That weight was able to get us 4th place overall with the winner bringing in 120lbs Well me and my buddy was sure there was fish there so we rebaited out lines before the weigh in and checked them the next morning and wow the cats were there afterall! we brought in 28 fish with a combined weight of 240lbs! biggest being 33lbs 29lbs 24lbs and a 15lb flatty. this would of definetely brought us home with tournament win but i guess it just wasnt our time to shine. 1/2 a day late can you believe that. oh well were still winners in my book. heres the fish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Fish that big should have been let go to get bigger..

3. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Looks like a bunch of dead fish to me, i can understand keeping some eaters but pics of a pile of dead fish don't impress me to much.:embarassed::angry:

4. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    different people have different opinions.dont get me wrong i dont agree with keeping every fish you catch,but thats your choice.Seems like every time you turn around there is someone here trying to tell someone else how they should or shouldn't harvest fish.how bout this?next time your out in the woods and see a 180 inch buck walk by you just shoot a pic of him to show all your friends that you just let a monster buck walk by just because,no i didn't think you would:roll_eyes:.

5. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I kinda think the posts you are talking about are opinions...I don't think they were telling anyone what to do...there was no mention of how they harvested the fish...

6. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    All i have to say Travis is congrats and it looks like u n yer buddies had one helluva good time. When's the cook-out? haha

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    looks like a great time and dont worry about the other guys :wink:

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    :beat_brick::beat_brick::beat_brick: her comes the CPR bashing again, why not tell him WTG, Great Catch, then SUGGEST the cpr route.... I think you will get a better response rather than telling someone " that doesnt impress me much", or 'you should have let them go to get bigger"....that gets really old & has started plenty of heated discussions on this board...I think maybe we need a section on CPR'ing for the future where it describes all the benefits of it where you could direct them to it IF they want to read it, just like replying to their thread or even reading it if YOU want to!!! jmo

Who knows, maybe these huge cats ppl are holding up in their avatars would be floating the next day, just because they swim off doesnt mean they make it all the time!!

9. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    congrats! sounds like a great time was had by all...:wink:

10. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    Travis, keep doing what you enjoy, just keep it legal!:wink:
    Harold, I agree not completely with what you said, But I would defend your right to say it to the best of my ability!:cool2:
    everyone remember opinions are like backsides, some only more attractive than others....:smile2:

11. riverrat63

riverrat63 New Member

State:
    ill
    i dont think its any of your business whether he keeps the big fish or not. i think as long as he buys his fishing license he is allowed his 50 hooks and as long as there is no length restrictions he can keep whatever he pleases. maybe he has friends who eat alot of fish? maybe his family eats alot of fish? the river is full of them bigguns so i dont think the population is hurting very much. btw the fish were caught on trot lines and rod n reel just in case you are curious. i guess the next thing we will hear is trot lines are wrong:roll_eyes:. is PETA in the building??? congrats on the big blues travis! Keep stackin them piles high:smile2:

12. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Congratulations travis on a nice catch! What were you using for bait? Everybody's opinion is just that, that's what makes this country and this sport so great. I would've probably released the bigger ones, but that's my choice. I also know that running sets is very hard work and if a man wanted to keep everything he worked for, it's his business to do so. By the way- if everybody is that worried about keeping big fish, then write your congressman and tell them to put more restrictions on commercial fishing. Anyway, congrats on the catch Travis, and i hope you enjoy the fish frys to come:wink:

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    All the pros & cons !!! Dont even want to comment , would be wrong either way !!!!!!! :confused2:

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Trotlines......................who needs em? Folks who can't catch fish with rod-n-reel. Oops did I say that out loud! :eek:oooh:

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Travis thanks for sharing the Pics of a great outing on the river. Nice fish.

16. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Ditto that. The sign on the console of my boat says it all.........:confused2:
    http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj156/gmvk30/1216953322.jpg

17. kyleh

kyleh New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great looking fish you have there RiverRat.

18. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    man o man did i stir the pot or what!:smile2: i just figured id share a story of a great outing with a bunch of great people and i all i get is the guns drawn on me :wink: i honestly do not care if anyone thinks i should put them back or not because its my decision and i wanted to keep em. the bigger blues taste better in my opinion. Kinda like a good bottle of wine, only taste better with age. also im frying fish saturday for around 100 people so they will not go to waste. I am willing to hear you all out on it though, i personally dont give a crap, but i am willing to hear your side. instead of off the bat bashing me you can explain alittle better. I always figured that turning loose the smaller ones was better because they have yet to get the chance to grow big. Now the bigger ones have lived a long life so why not take the big ones in order to make room for the smaller ones to grow big? am i making any sense? As for the trot line thing i absolutely love trot lining. it is so much fun to take my father and other family members out early and running those lines feeling them big guys tug on the other side. its a total rush. but what you dont understand is we always leave some hooks bare on our lines so we can pole fish. I have caught numerous 30+ fish this year on a rod n reel. I may not have caught as big as some of you but that dont bother me cuz its the memories that count. So bash me all you want but im happy, im definetely full:wink:, and i will continue to share my experiences with all of you on this board. happy fishing

19. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I'd be happyto just catch one that size. I'm beginning to think all fish hate me. BTW what was you using for bait.

20. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    1st of all i wasn't bashing anyone, 2nd i was only posting my opinion and thats all i believe others turned into what it became. You have the right to catch a legal limit everyday and what you keep is up to you just remember just because a your local fish biologist or the State of IL. says theres plenty of fish in the water doesn't mean their right. Whens the last time you have even heard of a state of the catfish population survey done on the Kaskaskia River or a law change on catfish limits? Catfishing has become very popular over the last 10 ten years and there is twice as many persons fishing for trophy catfish than in years past and i haven't seen any laws being changed in the State of IL. to keep up w/ this boom in catfishing. Also remember that the commerical fisherman in the state of IL. have lobbist in Springfield to keep things the way they are. As for releasing the small ones and keeping the bigger ones i'm not sold on that fish are a renewable resource but it doesn't happen over night only time will tell i really feel once a gene pool is destroyed its gone forever. I was not trying to bash you i was just posting my opinion hope your fish fry goes well and good fishing to all! If i'm wrong please correct me.