A weekend in the life of a catfisherman....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BKS72, Jul 28, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    A weekend in the life of a catfishman while the family is out of town...

Friday - 6 PM to 7 PM

Arrive at KCI from CA. Call fishing buddies on the way home for fishing report.

7:30 PM - Arrive home. Check bait tank. Call buddy and see if he wants go for a boat ride. (He plays guitar and I don't have a radio in the boat:smile2:)

8:00 PM - Realize boat battery is still dead after a week on the charger. Swap batteries between truck and boat and jumpstart truck.

9:00 PM to 1AM - fish, quench thirst, and listen to my buddy play old Johnny Cash and blues songs.

3AM - Arrive Home, check BOC, go to sleep

Saturday Noon - Wake up. Decide I need to do something constructive.

Noon Thirty - Stand in driveway, think about fixing bilge pump on boat. Go to gas station, get soda. Come home. Look at boat some more. Go in house and watch TV.

2:00 PM - Try to catch perch for bait.

2:30 PM - Decide it's too hot to catch perch for bait. Go home and stand in driveway, looking at boat. Think about fixing bilge pump. Go in house and watch TV while fooling on BOC.

4:00 PM - Realize I need to get boat ready to go fishing with Tom. Load boat, get bait from freezer, fill livewell and put in boat.

5:15 PM - Get to ramp, meet Tom, and launch boat.

Saturday 5:30PM to 9:00 PM - Try to catch bait. Throw net for an hour or so. Catch approximately 3 fish big enough to use for bait. Decide it's too hot to throw net. Do donuts in Fishing River trying to get carp to jump in boat. Stupid carp won't jump in boat. Drive around river trying to find a place out of trash to fish.

9:00 PM - Set up on first spot.

10:00 PM - Put on poncho as rain begins.

10:30 PM - Decide to move down river to new spot. Catch back up to rain and exactly match speed of boat to rain clouds so we stay in rain storm.

10:45 PM - Tom notices lots of water on deck. The $%^* bilge pump isn't working and the bilge is full and overflowing! Stupid bilge pump. Try to act as if I had no idea bilge pump was broken and ask Tom to pull plug as we run down river to drain water.

11:15 PM - Check out new spot.

11:20 PM - Hang boat up on sand bar. Stupid sand bar. Spend 10 minutes rocking boat until it gets unstuck.

11:30 PM to 12:30 AM - Fish. Rain finally quits. Realize now I'm wet AND cold. Try not to snivel in front of new fishing buddy.

12:45 AM Sunday - 7:00 AM Sunday - Move to new spot. Sleep fitfully in folding chair using poncho for blanket. Rememeber dry bag with sweats in it! Check dry bag. It's empty. Took clothes in last weekend to wash them. Stupid dirty clothes. Sit back in chair and try not to snivel about being cold and wet. Catch no fish.

8:00 AM - Arrive home. Eat healthy breakfast of Spam and potato chips. Lie down on couch. Fall asleep in middle of "GoodFellas".

1 PM - Wake up. Survey the disaster area I've created in the house while family is away and ponder doing laundry, dishes, and just generally cleaning house.

1:20 PM - Stand in driveway looking at boat. Consider fixing bilge pump. Go back in house and rewind "GoodFellas" to where I fell asleep.

2:30 PM - Consider cleaning house and doing laundry. Lie on couch, watch TV, and surf BOC

3:00 PM - Call Gary F for river report in KC.

3:30 PM - Time to do something constructive, like clean the house!

3:35 PM to 5:00 PM - Lie on couch, watch tv, and surf BOC. Gathering strength to fix bilget pump and clean house!

5:05 PM - 7:00 PM - Drive to Cooley Lake ramp to see how trashy river is. Talk to guy bank fishing. Drive to bait spot and try to catch perch for bait. Can't catch any perch. Stupid perch.

7:00 PM to 8:00 PM - Get boat ready, go to Cooley Lake ramp, launch boat.

8:00 PM to 10:00 PM - Fish first spot. Stick gets in one line and tangles it into other three lines. Curse trash, river, and fishing. Untangle lines. Get bite on one pole that's not involved in tangle. Notice lightening off to North. Think about moving. Don't want to get caught in rain, stupid bilge pump is broken. Move to new spot.

10:00 PM to 12:00 AM - Fish and enjoy view of night sky. No bites. Stupid fish.

12:00AM to 1:30 AM - Fish new spot. No bites. Turn bait loose (all native species caught either in the river or it's tributaries) and curse fish. Go back to ramp and load boat.

2:00AM - Arrive home. Look for something to eat. Find another can of Spam. Wish my wife was here. She does this thing - "cooking". Make promise to self to learn how to "cook" before wife goes on vacation again. Realize I need a shower and have no clean clothes. Start laundry. Finish laundry and take shower.

3:00 AM - Write up long and pretty much pointless synopsis of my weekend on BOC. Make solemn vow to clean house and fix bilge pump tomorrow. Or rather later today:wink:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like a HillJack fishing adventure. Better luck next time

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Love it!! Better get that bilge pump fixed!! LOL

4. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I love your use of the word "stupid"! that's great! lol That sounds about right for me as well although I must say I usually put some kind of fish in the boat hehe.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    LOL, my side was hurting... :smile2:

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I love it Branden! Sounds alot like my weekend. I quess we need those every once in awhile or we wouldnt know a good weekend when it came along.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ambition????/ What did wife have to say about all that didn't get done?:smile2:

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    LOL thats great a couple days to myself:006::003::0a22::worship::003:

9. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Hey, at least you have a boat!:smile2: Great post!

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    LOL
    Good thing you got all that rest.
    have a good one
    just

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Branson.. that sounds like my luck.. Wanna go fishin..

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Ah, it wasn't a bad weekend. Peaceful and if the fish had bit it would have just been a bonus:wink:

The fam is back on Wednesday, so this was my last bachelor weekend of their summer vacation:smile2:

Mickey, believe it or not I actually got some things done today. Laundry is almost done, house is as clean as it was when Shawna left, (I waited too long to call the gal that I usually call for the post-vacation cleanup and she was booked) and I've thought really hard about fixing that bilge pump:big_smile: I've got to go to Dallas tomorrow for work, so I'm packing now. Works out well, if there's something I forgot I'll be out of town when she finds it:wink:

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Or as a wise man (Josh aka Crazy) said after losing an anchor, Stupid River :smile2:

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    That's why I always liked fishing with Josh - great minds think alike:smile2:

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
  16. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Well Hell that is pretty big fish for sure! See I said I usually put some kind of fish in the boat and you repped me ... You then went out and put in one, worth all of mine for this year lol. Good Job!