A way to keep liver on your hook

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by daniel-delarosa, Oct 29, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    My roofer gave me a tip today about keeping liver on your hook. I thought I'd share it with ya'll.
    He said that you get a piece of pantyhose, cup it around a piece of liver, tie it at the top with some string and put it on your hook. I tried it and it worked well. I also tried it with some stink bait.

2. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you take the pantyhose and wrap like you said around a treble hook with a liver on it and then put them back in the container and freeze them then you will have a bunch of pretied ones that way your not having to tie them on the water. You can also throw the livers in a blender and puree them. Dump them into a bowl with some flour and cotton balls and make a paste out of them. The cotton fibers help keep it on the hook better.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I prefer to cure it by adding salt and garlic powder and letting sit out in the sun for a few hours on each side untill it gets a little tough that way it wont come off your hook and you dont have to mess with string and pantyhose and stuff like that.Unless your into pantyhose then hey go for it lol:smile2:

4. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you do use the pantyhose, don't forget to use NEW pantyhose... In addition to keeping the wife/significant other from tearing into you, the cats seem to be able to tell the difference... :wink:

5. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I prefer pantyhose wrapped around gals. IMHO

6. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    iv'e always just wrapped it with some sewing thread. Works great and I think its a more natural presentation. Maybe I just got some picky cats here in California!
    Linz

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks for the tips.

8. sbirnel

sbirnel Member

State:
    TX
    hmmm ive been wondering if empty tea bags would work good to hold chicken livers together? I know you can get empty tea bags to make your own tea blends...seem like they would work for liver/stink bait etc? anybody ever try it?

9. Boedonvito

Boedonvito New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I tryed that nylon stocking thing as well mostly so I can get some more distance on the cast it seemed to work. Keep in mind though that I am pretty sure these things get weakened when cut I tied up a nylon rig with some material I had in my box for about 3 months and 1 cast shredded the nylon like a wild badger. Ageing them in the sun toughens them up alot but I can see why people get concerned about a fragile bait like liver cause no one likes to have there bait fly off the hook on the cast out not realizing it on those realy dark nights.

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I've tried the panty hose thing several times with no luck. Use fresh cold liver, or cure it with garlic salt. I can cast cured liver really far even with a baitcaster. With fresh liver I use a spinning rod and kinda lob it out.
    Chip

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i dont use trebles ar anything

bait keeper and thred :wink:

12. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    the bad thing with the hose is its a pain to get off once on. We use trebbel hooks and rubberbands works. Although you can always just be careful and just lob it.

13. Kev-Man

Kev-Man Guest

Use the pantyhose and yes, use new ones. Get those knee high jobbers that way when it's time to use bait all you need do is drop it down through the top (where the woman sticks her foot in) put whatever amount in there you want shake it to the bottom, make a good tight ball of it and tie a knot in it then tie a knot above that one and cut between the 2 knots. Then you'll have your baitball and the panty hose will be ready for you to do it again. I do all the time with most all my baits and it works great.

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    When you tie your hook onto your line...after tying your knot...leave a tag end hanging off of it about 12" long.

Put your liver on your hook of choice...leaving the point exposed...and wrap the tag end around the liver.

Cinch it down...but not too tight, or you'll never get it untangled...and will have to retie.

This works well with any type of bait difficult to retain on the hook.

15. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    cheese cloth!!!!! works great, is easier to get off of you hook, and the kitties dont seem to drop it near as much as they will panty hose. JMHO