...A Way of Life

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nathan8372, Nov 27, 2006.

1. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Catfishing is a way of life for most of us here at the BOC. I, personally, am in love with the sport if I may say so.

I am only in my mid 20's but that doesn't matter. My Grandfather is 76 years old and my Dad, 46 or so. I learned so much from them that I don't know where to begin.

'A way of life' means that catfishing is in your blood, your soul and mind. You must also have it in your heart for it to be real. My Grandfather taught me so much about it, though he fell ill and cant go fishing anymore I take him pictures of my catches. It's something you feel when you are out there with a rod and reel in your hand isn't it? Fresh live bait and maybe some dip bait.

The heritage goes back 100 years or more for a lot of us, think about this next time you are out on the water. Think about what your Great-grandfather was doing when he was your age, etc. Think about conservation and maybe 'every-now-and-then' letting the 'big' one go.

Good luck and best wishes,

Nathan

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    I let every fish go that i catch. not that i dont like to keep them but...i guess i just like to let them go. let them get bigger. definately a post that made me thing. thanks.

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    My rule: if I have enough meat in the freezer to last me to my next fish fry, they all go back. Regardless, 10 lbs. or bigger cats all get put back in the water when fishing from my boat. We can take all the pictures you want but the fish goes back.
    That 49 lb'er in my avatar, immediately after the pic was taken, I put her right back in the water. Not that this makes me better or worse than anyone else. And I certainly do not do it for any "holy'er than thou" reasons. Mainly comes down to 3 reasons, all of which are basically selfish reasons.
    I fish for blues mostly. I personally think the 3 to 5 lbs'ers taste better and are easier to clean. (call it the lazy, want the best taste reason).
    Being "low" or out of fish in the freezer is just another excuse that I have to go fishing.
    The last reason has to do with the fact I want the fish population to be as numerous as possible so it is as easy as possible to locate and catch. Am I worried about over population? Not where I fish. Does anyone know what age/size a blue has to get (normally) before it starts to spawn? It may surprise you.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've been fishing since I was 4yrs old. My big brother (10 yrs older) taught me so he could dump me off at the crick while he goes out with his friends. he hasnt fished since. I havent stopped. I keep what I need and release what I dont. I cant imagine not being able to go fishing.

5. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Blues, as studied in Texas, reach sexual maturity between their 3rd and 6th year.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nathan, I appreciate your post very much! You are so correct young man that catfishing is in your blood. My grandad passed it on down to me as a child and that was back in the day when girls were suppose to stay at home and learn how to keep the house cook and clean.It was considered strictly a mans sport and women were not to be involved! Well thats too bad cause I'm a woman and when it's spring time and I can go fishin I will go!:big_smile:

7. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    As well as it is my teo little girls. I never had any boys. But I try my best to make tom boys out of them girls. But their mama works harder at keeping them nice little girls. But I know anytime I mention going out catfishing they will drop almost anything. they love to get out on the creek or the river. Just give them girls a fishin hole and they are happy. For a little while anyhow. Unless their biting then they will stay there until you make them leave. I will always let them keep a good mess of them if none is in the freezer. But then will make them start releasing them.

8. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My grandfathers started me too! Is long as I can remember fishing has been a huge part of my life. I wish they were still here so often. I can remember fishing when i could hardley hold a rod. I hope that the last thing I remember is the same thing. My son is just really getting to where he likes to go, I just hope one day he loves it as much as I do. He loves going to the river he just don't care to set there with a rod all day. Good post Nathan! I sometime stop and think about my life with my grandfathers and though it makes me sad all I can do is smile!

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a very nice Story!