a very good day

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ncfowler, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I got to get out today at my local lake, Oak Hollow, fishing with my friend Chuck. we were able to net some shad right off the bat, just enough for a few hours of fishing. With in a few min we had a small white around 3 lbs then another 4lbs the all Heck broke lose with a 12lb cat, in all we got over 15 cats, a 12,10,2-71/2,several 5-6lbs and a few smaller ones nothing under 3lbs. I did get to see fellow BOC member riddleofsteel (dave and his son hunter). Over all we had a good day on the lake action was constant and fell off around 1:30

Attached Files:

2. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Sounds like a good day. Congrats on the fish thanks for sharing.:cool2::wink:

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    CONGRATS GOOD DAY ON THE WATER

4. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Congrats to ya! I didnt fair to well. As a matter of fact I rode around an hour after dark, trying to find the boat ramp to come home. Belews lake aint hitting on much right now. Guess Im gonna have to make a trip to Oak Hollow and let fowler teach me a thing or two.

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I did see Jeff today. It was the high spot of our day. He even gave us a bag of frozen shad as we were unable to catch a single one in our net.

Things seemed to go bad from the jump today. :eek:oooh:

When we got to the lake my cranking battery was dead. :angry:

That was a first ever. I had to take the trolling motor battery so we could get cranked up and do some fishing. When we finally got some bait the wind had picked up and it looked good for some excllent drifts. I had a new drift sock and was set up. Well, without a trolling motor my only choice was to pick a starting point and drift as the wind took us. That worked about 1/4 of the time. Most of the time we spent trying to say off of the bank as the wind was blowing quartering to the channel. We caught one dink the entire time.
    Finally I moved to the other arm of the lake where the wind was blowing down the channel. We completed several good drifts and my son hooked up on a fish that had to be in the 15 to 20 lb range. He was using circle hooks and I guess it was hooked in the corner of the mouth like these hooks so often do. I told him his drag must have been too tight because the hook pulled out just as the fish came to the top.

:crazy:

By that time we were getting close to the early winter closing time so we packed it in. When we got home I had ran all the wires in my system to make sure I did not have a short that might have killed my battery. When I tested it it was DEAD. I did not find anything so the next thing I guess I should do is make sure the engine is charging properly. This is a 575 cranking amp battery so it may take quite a while to charge up at the 5 amps per hour my plug in charger puts out.

All in all a bad day that was better because we were fishing.

:wink:

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like a good day....alot better than mine today 10 hrs on the river and only a 35lb blue to show for it:sad2::angry::crazy:.

7. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    I went out yesterday as well but @ Lake Lucas in Asheboro..... David I know exactly what you mean about the wind.... only it did blow me right up on the bank..... lucky thing Im in an aluminum boat... Used my cast net for the 1st time EVER and actually caught shad and one bream... I was just happy I was able to throw it!! LOL:big_smile: Didnt catch any fish but loved being on the water!! That made the day worth while!!

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great day on the water.

9. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    congrats jeff i was @ tillary all day not catching anything well at least it was a good day um this sat im going out to hollow where were the shad i need some but if i cnt get any ill get bait using worms well im glad to see some decent cats well till next time good fishing ttyall later
    :wink:

10. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Nate the shad were poping near the camp grounds and in front of the golf corse. They were deep bout 15-20' if water, you need a larger net i was using my big net and letting hit bottom. i was able to ge enough shad for the day in my second throw "by luck" I may be out this weekend too not sure yet. got to see what i need to do first.

11. dirtydawg

dirtydawg New Member

State:
    nc
    Good to hear someone is gettin-r-done on the water..congrats

12. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Had my cranking battery tested at place I bought it. Thy told me it was in good shape. Leaves the mystery as to why it was down that morning. I guess I will have to have my engine charger tested for proper output. Most of the smaller lakes I fish I guess I am always cranking more than I run flat out to charge the battery back up. My plug in charger is set to not overcharge a battery so I guess a temporary solution would be to run an overnight charge on it just like I do for my trolling motor battery.

I do know I do not want to spend another day on a windy lake without a trolling motor to keep my drift on track.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like a great day on the water, thanks for posting the story and the pic :cool2:.

14. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Sometimes you got to take the good with the bad. Everytime I go fishing I call it a learning experance....

15. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    and speaking from the coastal area..no fish to be found!!!! Hoping to get to Sutton Lake this weekend.

16. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    sounds like a great day of fishing to me. thanks for sharing