a very bad day on high rock

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by McDreamy, Nov 20, 2007.

1. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    well yall i finally got time to go fishing today so i hooked up my pontoon and headed to my spot on the rock well im running wide open and catch some kind of rope in my prop looked like a ski rope but no skier attached to the end of it so after an hr of cussing and cutting om on my way back up the lake to my secrect lil hole when i turn a corner and all of a sudden my steering cable breaks so im out there in the middle of the river doing doughnuts and trying to hit the switch to cut it off.i finally did hit the switch and broke the key off so i was done mad as a hornet now i said im just gonna fish right where i was. i went to grab my anchor buckets and my rope was there but no anchors i guess they got borrowed for the other boat. so then i said ill just do some drifting. i drifted for about an hr and i had one hit but i missed it so fired up the trolling motor to go back across the area and it doesnt want to work. so i called my old man for a tow parked the boat and went to work i think from now on im gonna stick to bank fishing before i have to go to work

2. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like some of :wink:my trips. Maybe better next time. Thanks for sharing.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    well, that kind of stuff always happens.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like something that happened to my dad and I when I was a kid. We set up our pontoon upriver from dam. As he dropped anchor, we learned it wasn't tied off as anchor and all the rope shot overboard. We started drifting toward the dam, so he fired up the big motor, the motor mount broke, and the motor sank into the river! Luckily however, there was an area of shallow rocks above the dam, and it being fairly slow flow over the dam, we bottomed out and didn't go over. We got a buddy that was a diver, but the motor was never to be found.

5. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Man that was a bad trip. Makes me want to go home and do preventive maintenance on my boat.

6. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    We've all had those kind of days and it can be discouraging as Heck!!!!

7. tigman

tigman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Eric, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune while trying to wet a hook. It reminded me of a cold windy November day I had at the mouth of Merrel's Inlet in my father-in-law's boat. The steering cable popped off and the motor quit. Ithink we all have those days.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    One thing about boats and water is that Murphy's Law is very much in evidence. Not that I would know that. LOL Later Andy

9. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Eric, Sorry to hear about the rough day. I had to be towed back to York Landing one time, with a broken sheer pin; after paddling my john boat 1/2 mi. Once we got back, I realized that I had brought an extra one in my tool kit. :roll_eyes: We do all have them, makes the good ones that much better.

10. Knalves

Knalves New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ouch! :eek:oooh:

Well I guess a bad day of fishin' is still better than a good day at work...

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was going to say the same thing! I hope that you have much better days in the future Eric.