A true giant catfish makes its way to the US to replace our tiny american cats! :)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mkman, Apr 16, 2009.

1. mkman

mkman New Member

State:
    USA
    Your wondering what it could be, its not a North American Cat as they aren't giants.

Could it be a south american cat like the piraiba which can attain lengths of 7+ ft and 300+ lbs? Nope, tail on this beast too long.

Could it be one of the asian catfish like the mekong or the paroon shark that can attain lenghts of 9+ ft and 600 lbs? Nope, body shape and the tail don't match up.

Could it be a goonch catfish seen on the River Monsters show? Nope, body shape completely off.

That leaves you with one category left of giant catfish, a giant catfish from Europe, without further adou I present to you guys a baby one :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    You have that lil guy in an aquarium?!

3. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Is that a Wels?

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've seen some pictures of some awful big Wels from Europe...

5. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    to think about releasing one (or 'stocking' them ) is perhaps tempting..but consider this

the blue cat SHOULD (and did) get up to 200-300#'s in the large American waters. Whats holding up size is not the fish, but habitat, and too much harvest (both of recreational and commercial fishermen)

+ it would take decades for a little wels to get to the size of the big ones of europe. :wink:

as far as that aquarium goes, feed him too much and he may outgrow your tank:smile2:

6. mkman

mkman New Member

State:
    USA
    Yes its a wels! It will go into a pond when its much larger. Right now it is hanging out with a Pacman catfish aka Lophiosiluris Alexandri (sp?)

Jolie, can you give me a documented report of a blue catfish at 200-300 lbs? I don't trust fishermans tales and all the other stories about finding catfish the size of a volkwagen at the bottom of a dam. None of it has been proven and underwater, things look bigger than it actually is.

National Geographic has a video of a Mekong catfish (pangasius gigas) that was 9ft 640+ lbs. The photographic evidence of that makes it reliable.

I'm aware that it make take a while for this guy to grow massive :)
    Its the same case with some large catfish like the piraiba, slow growth but its the opposite with the Red Tailed Catfish......the RTC grows very quick.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I wouldnt reccommend puttin that fish in a pond.
    Thats how we get invasive species.
    If he was meant to be in our waters he would already be there.:wink:

8. mkman

mkman New Member

State:
    USA
    Here are some other giant catfish world records

Mekong catfish (pangasius gigas) 118 inch 293 kg, 9+ ft, 646 lbs.

Wels catfish (silurus glanis) 109 inches, 144 kg, 9 ft, 317 lbs.

Piraiba (brachyplatystoma filamentosum) 93 inches, 142 kg, 7+ ft, 313lbs
    Larry Dahlberg got a large one, it may have been bigger than the current record.

Lake Biwa Catfish (silurus Biwaiensis) 106 inches, 150 kg 8+ ft, 331 lbs

Blue catfish 62 inches 124lbs by Jeremy Pruitt

Flathead catfish 61 inches, 123 lbs
    Questionable account of a 154 lb one caught in 2004

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    No there's no contemporary accounts of 200-300# fish, HOWEVER, blue fish seemed to have been much bigger in the lower mississippi/missouri river before the 20th century. Plenty of accounts of very large fish during the 18th and 19th century, including some that have been weighed by very methodical folks; such as the smithsonian.

A few of these records are documented in my catfish book, 'catfish' by Keith sutton; part of the freshwater fish series.

as for that , I do believe catfish grew much bigger back then. before white men came to pennsylvania, brook trout grew 20" big; nearly darkening the water as they swarmed up to spawning waters and big down. We've polluted, dredged, warmed, silted, damned and crowded up countless waters.

This has in turn affected all the major american fisheries; causing the extinction of some and minimizing many others.

wels catfish would only be another long list of invasive species puttin a hurting to the trophy catfishing in the mississippi if it were introduced. the fact that there once WAS 200# bluecats and now likely ISN'T 200# bluecats, means that we need to fix problems limiting their growth.

I would hope that sportsman respect the need to keep invasive species OUT Of america. Invasive species have already down enough damage to American fisherys.

10. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Jason I have that same book and you are right the blue catfish was that large in the 1800s. the only reason they are not found today is because they were over fished. As for your response to Mike's post I say right on:smile2: a true American cat fisherman would not let this fish go in any water but it's own home waters.:cool2: So think about what you are doing before you do it-thats what I say!!!!

11. mkman

mkman New Member

State:
    USA
    I agree that invasive species need to be kept out of our rivers and lakes as certain ones can damage the entire ecosystem. Wels are cool water species and could easily flourish in some of our rivers.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep i agree. one lil speciman could result in devistation of inland waters. look at the asain carp. they were contained too till a flood. oops.

cool looking cat though.

13. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    i dont like telling me what to do, but i tend to agree that introducing non-native species can, and usually does have disastrous consequences for the current fishery and the habitat. I would just like to say do so with caution, and consider it thoroughly before you make a decision.

14. mkman

mkman New Member

State:
    USA
    All suggestions are being taken in. Don't worry all as this cat will not get into the waterways. It will go into a private pond far away from a water source.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    DO NOT PUT THAT FISH IN ANY POND!!! I don't care if it supposedly isn't close to any water source, don't put that fish anywhere except a fish tank. That would be a very irresponsible move to put that fish outdoors. You seem to know enough about fish to know the effects it could have. Once again, do not under any circumstances put that fish in a pond. If it gets too big for the tank either sell it or kill the fish. All invasive species got into our waterways by people doing exactly what you're talking about doing, I just can't reiterate enough how bad of an idea it is to put that fish anywhere except a tank.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    This is from an official MO website:
    "...in 1854 P. R. Hoy wrote to the Smithsonian Institute about a 136-pound catfish caught from Grand River near Chillicothe. In November 1879, Dr. J. G. W. Steedman, chairman of the Missouri Fish Commission, received a request from the United States National Museum for a large Mississippi River catfish. He sent a reply accompanying the fish: "Your letter requesting the shipment to you of a large Mississippi Catfish was received this morning. Upon visiting our market this P.M., I luckily found two–one of 144 pounds, the other 150 pounds. The latter I ship to you by express." Captain William L. Heckman, in his book Steamboating Sixty-five Years on Missouri’s Rivers, mentions a 315-pound blue catfish pulled from the Missouri River near Morrison."

17. mkman

mkman New Member

State:
    USA
    if you are going to use what someone wrote, then I present to you accounts that you can find on a search online of reported wels catfish caught that were reported to be 800 lbs.

I would accept accounts that are backed with photographs or multiple witnesses.

18. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    ok, I'll go with the gist that a little wels in an aquarium isn't a threat to america, and as for a pond. please be careful....

but, ok..now if we're disputing the big fish thing. 1854 predated widely available photography so we're not going to prove the existence of a 150# cat in 1854 with photographs.

I'm sufficiently happy with the credentials of Dr steedman as a chairman of the missouri fish commission to accept the existence of a 150#cat in a fish market.

I'll surf a little bit and get back to you.:wink:

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    He wont stay little for long:wink:!

20. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    WORD!