A trophy for another day...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by C_wernett, Feb 3, 2008.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I know this gets discussed alot on here, but it was finally my time to make a choice. Now, a lot of people may question, because yes, the fish in question is a yellow bullhed, but in my eyes, a trophy is a trophy. I had a way to keep this beauty alive for long enough to get weighed and back into the water, but after several calls, I wouldn't have been able to get it certified untill Monday, two days later. So I did what any honest fisherman looking to protect the trophy fishery of any species would do, I got a couple good pictures and sent her packing for another day when we can do things right and get her back after being certified.

Attached Files:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    What did it weigh? Was it a potential state record or what???? Anyway, thanks for letting her go!

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Conrad, You done good! I bet it was a good fight.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cool! Ain't nothin' wrong with that. Nice catch, and good luck catching her again.:cool2:

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    that's a nice fish,congratulations bro.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Congratulations Conrad,GOLLY thats a Big Bullhead!!!! You Did the Right Thing in this Mans Book Sir.We are All PROUD of You. J.D.:wink:

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Congrats C, I will always release a fish if I cannot get it certified in a timely manner. As long as I get a few pics with a witness, I'm sure you guys will accept the weight. No sense killing a once in a lifetime fish for my name in the paper, or on the books.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree. all i need is pic.s of the fish. i don't even care if i have a witness! i know what i caught and if anyone doesn't want to believe me, then tough sh2t! LOL...rollo

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    "Possibly"...but that was the problem, everyone at Game and Fish is off on the weekend and I wasn't going to risk the fish if I didn't know 100%. I didn't have a scale with me, but I got one last year that was 17" long and weighed right in at 3lbs, and this one was right in that same range. I'll know for sure by the next time I get out after another one though, and everything will be ready for the transport. However, Murphy's Law states that I won't catch one again once I do that! lol

10. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    a trophy fish is a trophy fish regardless of a certification or a "record" who realy cares the point is you caught you know it and im sure you had fun doing it and hell you was FISHIN:big_smile:

11. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    COngrats on the nice fish!

12. bull68dawg

bull68dawg New Member

State:
    Georgia
    wtg congrats i bet that was a good fight.

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Actually, the funny part was, instead of the "the one that got away", this is a story of "the one that ALMOST got away". I was fishing a bait fairly near a log jam when he hit and ran directly into the trees. He could take line on the other side, but I could only pull forward to where my sinker was before it would get logded and stop. After a minute I finally had to make the choice to lay into in and hope it popped free, instead of breaking the line, which is what usually happens! Well, the wood it was lodged in broke free, and I actually had a little piece of wood about 2" in diameter still hanging on the line when I drug that big bugger in.

14. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    wow that was a nice bull head thanks for sharing pics!!!

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice bullhead to say the least!!! Thanks for doing the right thing!

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Conrad - That is one big Bullhead! :big_smile: Congrats on the catch and rep for using CPR! :cool2:

17. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bro., you are the MAN of the week in my book. Nice catch and release.

18. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone for confirming that what I thought to be common sense was, in fact, the right thing to do!:big_smile: I always wondered, if ever in that situation, what I'd do, and when it came down to it, it was simple. Now true, it's not a 90lbs. blue, or a monster flattie, but it's like I told a buddy one time, a trophy is a trophy. A 2lbs 'gill is not a common fish, nor is a 1lb. flier or a 3lbs bullhead for that matter. I've had to explain that to people before, that just because the fish doesn't get as big overall, doesn't mean that it doesn't have it own, "trophy class" fish. Last year my daughter caught a redfin pickeral that was nearly a foot long, the biggest redfin pickeral I've ever seen! She didn't even hesitate..."Get it back in the water daddy!!!"