Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Well, there are guys who can read about something and with just a little experimentation have it figured out (Tom) then there are guys who just have to be shown in person (me). Not wanting all your secrets but three questions, #1 what type of sinker worked for you, I have read cannon balls give one a better feel of the bottom due to increased area but in the videos I have watched they are using all types as you said changing the weight as current dictated. #2 Did you use a float to assist in keeping your bait up or just allow the current to lift it? #3 When you taking me? ;)
Hey Jay, good to hear from you. I am guessing Evansville is not too long of a drive for you.

I have also heard that cannon ball sinkers give the best feedback when hitting the bottom. But I didn鈥檛 have any of those and am not sure if there are any close around here. So, I made my own. Years ago when I was fishing for stripes in the Chesapeake, I would troll with 14 or 16 ounce bell sinkers. For my bouncing sinkers, I use the same mold. I put a swivel in the top of the mold and then just use a tablespoon or small ladle to add the lead. So, it turns out to be like a bell sinker that was only partially filled. Then I weight them and use a marker on the bottom to list the weight. I was using 2.1 and 2.3 ounce sinkers Saturday in about 30 feet of water.

Body jewelry Wood Ornament Jewellery Earrings

The smaller one is about 2.5 ounces and the bigger one is 3.7 but the mold was not hot enough yet, this the wrinkles.

I did not use a cigar float just above the hook but May next time. It is bound to help keep the hook up off the bottom where it can get snagged. On one of Steve Douglas鈥檚 video where he and Larry Muse are discussing Dragon sinkers, Larry suggests a small balloon no bigger than a golf ball. Of course with very light weights even a smaller balloon would be better. The float would help move the bait back because of the current. Larry thought the balloon in a white or tan color would have no effect on the fish because it resembled the air bladder on a fish.

I think we should go. But with the spawn coming on, the latter part of July might be better.

tight lines

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Those that are thinking about going and trying bouncing, Mike Greenwell, a local said the best bouncing water was when the Evansville gauge was around 20 feet.

I saw him on the water Saturday and stopped to say hello. He helped me with his videos showing what he was doing.

tight lines.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
How deep were you catching? I couldn't buy a catfish Friday in Lawrenceburg area. Fished from 2 to 30-35.

Hi Dave, sorry for the delay in replying. This was my first time to this location so I was not familiar with what the bottom was like. I ended up fishing just out far enough from the bank to be in 25 to 30 feet of water. I would guess I covered about a mile all together.

I did see one individual about three hundred yards below the dam in the really strong current bouncing also. I don鈥檛 know if he did any good but he was out there for a long while. If he did hook a fish, because of the strong current, he would have to just drift with the current to get a fish in.

good luck.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts