A trip not to have....

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by C_wernett, Oct 18, 2007.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, finally worked out the "odds and ends" on getting out of Beaufort Inlet on a buddies boat. We've been working out the details on how to make the trip work, and all looked good. He brought his 22" Wellcraft down. Myself and another coworker set up the gear, I provided local water knowledge, and our 4th set us up on the food.

To start this off, I'm saying I'm never going fishing on a boat with someone who INSISTS on drinking and fishing. It's turned out to end up being too much of a hastle for someone that takes fishing as serious as I do. He ends up not being able to drive to the dock in the morning, or run his own boat, but he does insist on using the trolling motor, with the foot pedal, WITH HIS HANDS!

But, to get to the story. We head out a mile off to check what's going on at the artificial reef. Waters good and clear, too clear, and I can't net bait. So we decide to set up some drifts and troll a little after seeing a couple nice king mackeral pass under the boat. But after our drunken captain with his new found playstation controller wraps our lines around the marker bouy two or three times, and number 4 starts complaining about the rollers and getting sea sick...we decide to try something closer to shore.

I suggest something right off the beach at Shackleford. On our way in we see some fellows doing battle with false albacore, but we aren't set up and might have some luck closer with spanish and bluefish.

I spot a pod of pogies getting torn up in the surf, and here's where the fun really starts. Two of us start chucking lures after seeing blue and spanish macks cutting it up. Blue start off first and we boat three in the 2lbs. range quick...but our nifty navigotor on the trolling motor can't grasp the concept to put the bait ball between us and the beach. Then number 4 starts heaving over the rail...but ralleys good and gets on the big motor to get us out of a couple of jambs when we get too close in. We cannot get good position on the bait, and he won't give up the controls...we start going AWAY from the bait and we're all getting pretty frustrated at the drunk at this point...especially once he turns us around, puts us on TOP of the bait and starts doing 360's. Then turns us broadside in a roller and tosses one guy overboard!

At this point, we've all about had enough and tell "Ralphy" to head us back into port. We're all up on the bow when for some reason he decides to part tow 30-35' sportfishers coming head on at full throttle...the last thing I felt was a bump, and then looked down from 4' about the boat...I came down hard. Drunk captian somehow grabbed the rail and didn't go overboard...

We dock beat up and ready...it's what I call a learning experience. I hope someone other than me can learn from this and not experience it "quite" the way I did...lol

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    tough luck man. that sucks.

its one thing to crack open a cold one while your sitting anchored off at the river and waiting on a bite. its a whole new ball of crap to get stupid drunk while trying to manuver a boat, especially near the surf. what an idiot.

better luck next time.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you know i dont mind if someone wants tyo have a couple of brews while fishing, especially if its at night and we are posted up in a good spot for the evening. but its totally diffrent to take someone out and get stupid drunk and then mess up the fishing for everyone that you are with. if it were me i would not be going out with that type of person anytime in the next century or so.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My boat rules are no drinking,water and alchol are a dangerous combo but when we get in to the docks there is usualey a iced cooler with liquid refreshments fer us to clean the vittlles........................................
    You are testament to why I dont go for alchol in my boat

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Worst part is that it sounds like there were plenty of cooperative fish around and the jerk ruined all of your chances for a really good day of fishing!!!

Oh well. I don't think I would fish with him again.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    He never went to fish. He wanted to drink. Lesson Learned at everyones expense. Leave the Jerk home next time.

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, I've never been opposed to having a cooler along when we're hitting the surf, or when we're pitching baits at the river from the shore. I never drink myself though, and I feel the same that it was more of an excuse for him to drink than to enjoy the day and do some fishing. It was sad, because the fish were there, and we had a good shot at spanish mackeral, king macks, false albacore, bluefish, flounder...just a whole mess of stuff.

It could have ended a lot worse, so I count my blessings there...but you won't see me on that boat again unless I'm borrowing it.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't allow alcohol on any outing of mine, weather it is fishing or other activity. The drunks don't know they are the drunks. For them it is normal. They are just looking for a place to drink. I drag race also. I do not allow any alcohol in my pits. You would not believe the number of people that won't come racing or fishing with me because they can't drink. I am not against drinking at all, and I do enjoy a bourbon and coke from time to time. But when you absolutely won't participate in an activity because you can not drink for 8 hours, you have a problem. We always stop at wally world and get a 6 pack of yoohoo before a race. That is our victory drink if we win.

Sorry your trip was ruined, but you are the wiser for it. Next time will be better.