A Trip for Big Blue Catfish turns into many a Skippy!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Shad Man, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Well fellow BOC members let me tell you a story of two BOC members and an unfortunate friend who set afloat on the mighty Ohio on Saturday. It all started Friday night when I made vocal communications with Shane aka Skippie2use. We conversed for what seemed like 5 minutes and planned our adventure for the following day. The next day I would arrive at his dwelling at 6 in the morning and we would head south to the mighty raging Ohio River. Well at around 6 my beast of a truck began to crunch gravel down his lane. Suddenly I had to jam the breaks!!!!! Shane's mobile catfishing RV was cranked sideways in his drive and his clean, organized and not smelly boat and trailer was jackknifed over his pond dam. At first I thought Shane must have been out late the night before like me and my friend and missed the driveway. But I soon realized he needed help. I then prosided to pull his entire rig out of certain distruction with my mighty truck. All while my companian coninued to saw logs in the passenger seat beside me. We then quickly gathered up our gear and began to head south. We stopped at the Speedway in Laweranceburg to gather all the needed supplies because we knew that we may not set foot on solid ground for 8 maybe 10 long hours. After we launched the mighty vessel on her not so maiden voyage we quickly headed to our super secret bait hole that only a select few river rats will even venture. We began by casting super secret lures into the mighty boils of the Ohio. Quickly we realized that recent reports about bait must have been a secret plan to keep us away from the river. We began to fill the cooler with Skippys and Shad because we thought that any minute the bait would surely disapear forever. But guess what it didn't!!! After we had caught what we thought was enough bait we proceeded to try and tangle with the mighty blue cat. Recent reports from fellow anglers sounded promising. Many bluecats had been reportedly caught in the 30 pound range in the last few days so we figured it was going to be a "catfishing montage" Well Shane's secret method of fishing soon proved to be useless. Shane not knowing what to do began to drive in circles in the river as if he was herding the massive brutes to the surface. This goto method of Shane's soon provided us with priceless fishing information. We then began to fish other likely areas. ALL in which provided us with not even a nipple from a paper sack!!! SO WE DID THE ONLY THING WE THOUGHT WOULD KEEP US FROM GETTING SKUNKED!!!!!!! We fished some more.hahaha
    By this point in our voyage our rations of mountain dew and chew were running dangerously low. So Shane did what he swore he would never do again. He got his boat stuck in 6 inches of water. Let me tell you this method of anchoring the boat where motor and the bottom of your vessel are stuck in the mighty river mud is not considered anchoring because the anchor is never deployed.
    Anyway I digress. Shane soon found himself handycapped. His lifeline, his goto method now proved useless. He could not watch his High Def. Depth Finder for fish raising from the bottom. No the only thing he could see was a flashing screen that read nothing. Shane then began to pace wildling in the boat as he realized he could not catch fish. My buddy and I quickly began to preform an intervention with him to save his sanity. He then scanned the mudflat and realized he still could fish the only way he knew how because the catfish were tailing in the shallows. So now that he could see the fish he began to fish like he was in the Flordia Keys fishing for bonefish on the flats. Shane soon boated several huge channels all weighing around 3 to 4 pounds. At this moment I realized I had forgot my camera. As we hunted down the tailing catfish like African Lions we soon grew tried. We regrouped and discussed our original objective of our voyage. It was to drift fish using a depth finder and boat giant blues. So we got the boat unstuck using secret methods and we heading out into the river. We soon realized that the conditions of the river had improved so we began to fish again. At this point the last rays of the sun where disappearing behind the trees and we knew we were running out of time because we needed to see our loved ones again before we forgot what they looked like. As we drifted back to the creek it happened!!!! Shane's rod bent over almost in slow motion. He quickly grabbed his rod from the JUSTIN WALTERS CUSTOM ROD HOLDER (for sale for 19.99 plus S&H) and began to wrestle the beast from the depths of the Ohio. Soon we were looking at the biggest blue that either of us had caught (since our last trip!!!). At this point we realized that we were out of gas, battery, food, drink, and tobacco so we hammered down and loaded up the boat.

THE END!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for reading:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

2. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I just remembered that Shane was the one who forgot the camera.:angry::angry::angry::angry: Not me:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Attached Files:

3. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    glove box. That was just a little joke. We thought that we would take over for WRBC since he got the boot. Was a fun day, even though fishing was tough. For a short time I thought that I was back at turtle creek. Only then I realized we werent getting an inch of rain an hour. At least after I got the anchor out I realize I was stuck in the mud, and didnt need it. You know you are shallow when you can see the back of a 3-4# channels back sticking an inch and a half out of the water. I will try it again when I get the trolling motor that I DONT need, but I can get it about $500 cheaper than an 80#. After I have mine in my possession I will tell you guys where I found mine for $800 if anyone else wants to upgrade. Thanks for the info on the auto pilot Chris it is much appriciated.

4. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good story Justin, sounded like a eventfull trip.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    dredgin channels out the mud sounds like fun

6. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What he didnt tell you is that all of my batteries where in the garage when we got to Lawerence . I had forgotten to grab them after I went over my dam. As I was planning on gutting the rest of my boat. Luckily Dr. Pepper had left 2 in my van from last week. Thanks Bill.

7. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I second the thanks Bill!!!!

8. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Were you guys out to fish or write a outdoor story for outdoor life? Maybe we should call shad man grizly adams or marty stoufer.:smile2: Just kidding. You guys caught fish any way and sounds like it was fun. Just remember that every trip is an adventure. That is what usually happpens to me and doug. We eventually catch fish but always have some problem that will arise sometimes little and sometimes big. You will always learn from the mistakes or accidents that happen out there so they dont happen again. Good story shad man! Maybe they should put a section on here for story time or at least the adventures of the B.O.C crew. Looking forward for another story real soon. Good luck and be safe out there.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats cool! Glad that worked out... no batteries, that woulda sucked big time!

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Maybe they really do follow a name. :crazy: Shane and Justin, ya'all crack me up with your lil adventure. Keep up the good work boys!
    Oh yeah, sweet blue! Congrats.

11. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good story Justin. Sounds like a fairly normal trip with Shane.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

12. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I really do think that the BOC should pay me to be on here. I could just fish and document my adventures and then retire. It would be great!!!!!

13. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Comedy does pay well. 3 things to good comedy.
    1:have to have someone to cut on! Got that! gave us plenty of ammo
    2:need bad things to happen to people because of stupidity. Got that I give
    U plenty of ammo.
    3:A old neat tidy freak! Got that! Steve gives you that!
    If you see his garage you would never believe his boat would stay that neat with so little stuff in it. You would think it looked more like mine with every thing under the sun in it. Like old screws he found on the job in 1953! If you cant find it in the hardwear store call Steve. I bet hes got it. Really he has saved me ton of money. Couldnt ask for a better friend.

You do need to learn to type first though. Hunt and peck, you will go broke!!!!!!I under stand that from Steve with the nubs! I think that is why he only has 80 posts in 4 years.:eek:oooh:

14. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Don't stop him from reeling in the big ones tho!!! O yeah Ashley said she has that CD gonna start tonight.

15. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Cool glad you found it, and at home even.

16. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Wow thats an epic adventure if I ever heard one! lol when will the book hit the shelves! I want a signed copy!

17. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    Great story guys! Wish I could've been there. I just want to know how you jack knifed Your boat over the dam Shane? Thought you were a pro at backing with your van.:smile2:

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You can't see a damn thing backing up that van of his.... you gotta use the force like luke skywalker lol

19. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well, it was 4:30 am, I had another vehicle parked between the garage and the boat. Instead of moving the other vehicle I though I could get around it. Well having NO chew I was hurring so I could run to town before Justin got there. Then once you get both trailer tires over the dam, WELL, ITS TO LATE. The short virsion.

20. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Too Funny!:smile2::smile2::smile2: