A towing question

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by iceman, Feb 26, 2008.

1. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I have a 24 ft. pontoon boat and tandom trailer. I kept the boat in the lake until the water went out and had to buy a trailer for it. i had a buddy of mine pull it home for me. I have a 1991 Ford explorer sport which is a 2 door with a v6 in it. I've been wondering if with a class 3 hitch would this vehicle would pull the pontoon and if so what about out of the water up a boat ramp? does anyone use a vehicle this size to pull there 24ft. pontoon? any info would be apprecated.

GARY:big_smile:

2. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have a kiai rice burner and pull a 17 ft lund with no trouble saw a guy with one like mine pulling a boat like yours they are wide long but not real heavey i think it would work bob

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Gary, you can check the owners manual for towing capacities, but I can tell you the explorer will be overloaded, especially pulling up a steep ramp. You can probably get by for occasional towing, (don't use overdrive), but I wouldn't recommend continual use. The auto transmissions in those earlier models weren't too stout; I know from experience.

4. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    the hitch wouldnt be the first of my worries i dont think.. thats a bit of weight for a V6 i dont know about that you got a tow package? a heavy tranny? i would be worried about burning up the tranny.. hills speed distance. and over working that V6. id check with the towing capacity before pulling it down the road.

5. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    You may get by for occasional towing but I would stay off the interstate and keep your speed down. On a windy day that big pontoon can overwhelm that small a vehicle.

6. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Probably depends on how much furniture etc. you have on there. Some pontoon furniture is awfully heavy. If the boat has been stripped of some furniture you might be OK. I have a friend that has pulled his 21 foot Party Barge Pontoon for the last 16 years with a Ford Ranger and he's had no problems. Let us know how it works out for you

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It's too much boat for extended use. If you just put it in in the spring and out in the fall and live less than 50 miles from the ramp it might be ok. Use 4wd at the ramp and do it all slow and easy.

8. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Thats an awful big boat to be pulling with that short wheelbase on the vehicle. Its REALLY not the towing that i would worry about-- hope you don't have to come to an abrupt stop, cause you won't be stopping.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I used to tow a 1200 lb Hull weight bass boat with a S-10 2 wheel drive . but I would use the outboard to push the truck off the start. And shut the outboard off before it came out of the water.
    AS it was a stick shift truck. And with my wife driving it. She only had to let me start the truck moving and then take off. Worked out good.
    But its not towing the boat. Its stopping it that is the problem.
    Pete

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i think the short wheel base would be your worst problem getting in & out of the water on a steep ramp!!!! I think i would trade that explorer for a pickup or larger suv....as for the towing capacity, it will hold it or pull it rather-it's just the awkward size & flat surface across the front that would be a problem in a head wind as the boat sticks up over the top of a small suv.. I pull a 21ft toon with an '04 f150 supercrew w/the 4.6 liter v8 & the wind will sway the vehicle around a bit, i think it would be worse with an explorer, just my opinion..I have seen ppl at the ramp pulling toons w/a jeep or ranger but they say they dont have to drive far from the lake....also mentioned above the tranny is the a4ld in that older explorer and not too stout!!!!!

11. bomber

bomber New Member

State:
    SC
    It should be fine. To be sure and to save you transmission try pulling it in a lower gear like 3rd gear. I will use more gas but will save the transmission.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have a 21 foot pontoon and a V6 Nissan Frontier. I have towed the pontoon with this vehicle, but you know it is back there. You will feel it on hills and you will be gearing down.

With that said, my Nissan is a 2001 and I would bet the horsepower, while not great, is more than a 1991 model vehicle.

Like Blackwaterkatz said, for occasional towing it will be ok, but you will not want to tow it to the mountains or anything like that.

13. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I wish someone would have told be about overdrive pulling when I bought my '89 big Blazer with a towing package. I finally had transmission problems after about 10 years (low mileage as only used for boating). I now don't ever put in overdrive even when in the flat, low country of SC.

14. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Although I don't like uhaul for renting my local dealer knows what to put on your vehicle to tow what you want. If its not feasible they will tell you.

later..
    Ron