A tip for frying steak:

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by kat in the hat, Dec 22, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was watching Iron Chef the other night :)embarassed:), and the secret recipe was bison. Bison is lean, and mean lol. Anyways, my boy Bobby Flay shared a tip that could be valuable to us regular humans. I eat my steaks rare to medium rare. If you like to cook yours all the way through, this tip will be of no value to you.

Anyways, I consider myself a pretty good steak cooker. Ever wonder, though, how they fry a steak to rare, or medium rare, but have a good, dark sear on the outside without overcooking it, or drying it out? On a grill...no problem. In a skillet, I don't know how many times I have slightly overcooked a steak waiting for the right color. I cook on medium/high with butter, and usually have good results...but not always. An overcooked steak is worthy of the trash can IMO. I like dark, crispy edges, but pink and juicy in the middle.

Here's the deal. When a steak cooks, it releases it's juices...mostly water. The water boils. Boiling water can only get so hot. 220*, I think. To get a good sear, ya gotta get much hotter than that, and the juice from the steak actually acts as an insulator from the heat.

The fix...Brush your steak down with lard before you slap it in a hot skillet. This will allow for a quick sear without drying the meat out, or scorching it. This could also be invaluable for game, like venison, that is very lean. Puttin grease, or butter in the pan is not enough, as the steak kinda floats on top of it, and allows for the insulating effect.

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hmmm, I'll have to try that on a deer steak sometime. Thanks

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats good to know Matt,Thanks. I'm with you gotta be rare to med rare to me or its junk.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep, a good steak whether it be beef or wild game, seasoned just right and seared perfectly outside while rare inside is a gift from the GODs....:cool2: Damn, I just made myself hungry.:confused2:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Another tip is that you only turn the steak over one time. It's OK to shift it 45 degrees to get those pretty grill marks, but you only turn it over one time.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Blood on the plate.:big_smile:

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    This might be a dumb question but here it goes. Can you buy lard at the store? I just don't remember the lard section

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    They have it in the grocery store here I know. If you don't see it around the crisco section and such then check the mexican specialty section, they often have it there also.

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Most of your meat or processing places will have lard!

Hope this helps!:roll_eyes:

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    thanks for the info. Lard is just not a staple in this family:big_smile:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Lard,Cant make tortillas without it:cool2:

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Most of the stores I go to seem to have it.

13. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Yep I've seen Lard with the shortenings and stuff in many stores, including Walmart, which we all love to hate.

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I keep lard for my pie crusts. It is usually kept in a cooler section with bacon and such. Don't fret none if you cant find it any oil you have will do the trick. I prefer a coating of olive oil. I get my cast iron skillet hot with out any grease then lay in the steak. Knock off the horns and run it through the fire. Thats the only way to eat red meat.:big_smile:

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds Good

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sounds good however. In my opinion and mine alone anyone that puts a steak in a fryin pan should be "PISTOL WHIPPED" LOL!

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I agree. But if you want some good old fried taters and onions to go with that steak, drag out that big old cast iron skillet.

18. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Actually some cuts cook up pretty nice in a skillet. We do that sometimes and I like it quite a bit.

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Yup, KO the horns, give the other end a wipe and proceed to devour. I use stainless and get it screaming hot, a touch o olive oil and touch down. Pull the steak out and add a touch of wine and deglaze the pan, make's a great sauce. :cool2:

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gotta agree,on the pan part,But theres times when Ya just cant grill outside,The cast iron gets a workout at my house