A timely reminder.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Recently had the misfortune to discover that a fellow Catfisherman(?), who claimed to be a "Catch and Release" fisher, isn't. So I thought I'd post this reminder and possibly change his mind, but knowing the individual, I doubt it. Maybe it will make other's think twice though.
    I hope you can increase the size to read it, it's as big as I could keep it and still have it come up.

Attached Files:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thanks for the good info and I hope that the fellow changes his mind in the near future.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Benji, thanks for the support. It wasn't so much the fact he kept them, it's the fact he always claimed he released them. I know there are some Catfishermen who do keep the big Cat's, that's their prerogative. I realize there are some fisheries that can support keeping the bigger Cats, as far as Milford Lake is concerned, paragraph three in my attachment aptly describes the condition here. I've personally experienced the decline. 3-4 years ago I'd catch a lot more big Cats than I do now. The more popular Catfishing became, the more the big one's kept disappearing. I caught a few this year, but not like I used to. 20+ Cats over 15lbs up to 30lbs were fairly regular, not in the last couple of years though. Between me and my fishing buddy, we've caught 7 up to 30+. Heard a lot of the guys that would keep all the big ones they caught asking if anyones been getting big fish, they haven't like they used to, they just don't understand. Oh well, enough whining here.:sad2:

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    You are the man Jim, thanks for sharing.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    It ain't whinein Jim. It is what it is. And until folks wake up and smell the coffee it will get worse. Its mankinds way pretty much. Take,take,take! With no regard to the long term affect.

Now I'm sure that a certain portion of our great intelectual members will start chimein in with everything we don't know about keepin big fish. I say, "BULL"! If ya keep rapein the waters the affects will be felt.

6. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Jim: I may have read that article wrong (I was unable to increase the size much) but from what I read they were advocating catch and release. If not, there were a bunch of good reasons why one should practice CPR.

7. kscathntr

kscathntr New Member

State:
    Olathe, Ks
    thanx for the info.

8. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Recently there was a post about Milford Lake and blue catfish and the person was telling how many big blues he had caught and where he had caught them and what he was doing with them and not alot of it made any sense. #1 you cannot in the state of Kansas catch fish and transport them to another lake and release them with or without a permit. Not how it is done as far as I can get any info on it.He also was detailing a series of river channels in Milford that had defined edges and so far have not found them on Navtronics or on the water exploration in several trips. Yes there is several areas that the depth changes but not a ledge per say that blues would stack up on.The size of the fish do not add up to what we have found from talking to the fisheries people and the original date of the blues being introduced into the lake was different than what was told by fish and game people. Now this person was not Jim as he has always been a guy that tells it like it is and I have to believe him as he spends way more time on the water than anyone else that I have found over there. As far as him calling someone out maybe someone needs to be as they might be hurting a fishery more they thought they were.If I was someone that needed info on Milford Lake , Jim is the man I want to talk to as he spends alot of time on it 12 months out of the year.Lets not dogpile him on something that doesnt need to be done. He made a statement and he will back it up I would say.

9. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was unable to read the entire piece Jim posted because of the text size. But I don't think I saw anywhere in his message where he mentioned anyone by name. From what I understood Jim to be saying he was disappointed to learn that a person who claimed to practice only catch and release of large bluecats was, in fact, killing them. I think that was the main problem Jim had with him.
    I've known Jim for quite a while and I know him to be a man of his word and unwavering integrity. If Jim gives you his word you can take it to the bank. He is passionate about catfishing, especially at Milford Lake. Next to his family those blues in Milford are the essence of his soul. If you kill a big Milford blue you have poked Jim with a sharp stick. It hurts him and he doesn't like it.
    Not everyone agrees with the idea that all big fish should be released. Like TDawgNOK said, there are situations that call for keeping the fish instead of releasing it to die. I know Jim has no problem with that.
    But Jim lives his life by the code that his word is exactly what he says it is. He lives by his word and was disappointed to learn that someone else apparently did not. Unless I missed something in his post I thought he was pretty diplomatic about how he approached the subject. Being shy hasn't ever been a problem for Jim. I think if he really wanted to call someone out he knows how to do it.

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Well, without getting to deep into it, I Practice catch and release 90% of the time. But If a man buys a license does it not entitle him to the fish that he catches?. Believe it to be his option as to keep or not keep. I understand Jim has a passion for the lake that he fishes on, but he doesnt own it nor control it ! Do you know what this member has done with the fish? Member eat it? waste it? or do you know? What about the reason for keeping fish? Does this person really have to explain it? If CPR is pushed This hard then no one will want to buy a fishing license anymore, then the fishing money for the states will be gone. There must be a balance.

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I think some are missing his point here. What I read is that Jim doesn't really care if he keeps the fish, since that's his right. What he is concerned about and I think some are missing is that he says one thing and does another. It's an integrity thing. He's also concerned about his fishery, and hope's his post will change this guy's mind, but that's not his main point from what I read.

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am a little confused on what buying a fishing liscense has to do with keeping fish or not, or this post. Their is really no corralation between the two. Jim is simply saying the somebody, and he did not use any names, is not being truthefull about his practices. He does not condem the person for keeping the fish, just not practicing what he is preaching.

In my book, give me a man who keeps every freeken fish he catches, as long as he is honest about it, does not preach to me to release all the fish I catch (big fish), while he is keeping all of his. I will fish with that guy 100 times, before I fish with someone that is not truthfull and honest about what he is doing.

Personally, I release ALL fish I catch 99% of the time, simply because I really don't care to eat fish. Some of my family does, so I may keep a few every now and then, or give some to the property owner who gave me permission to fish his property, but other than that, I have no real need to keep any. I do not judge anyone who does keep them however, just be honest about it, like anything else in life.

That is the message I took out of the post.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jim (Little Mac), sorry I didn't make my point clearer. I've never critized anyone for keeping big fish. I have tried to explain to them some reasons for releasing the bigger fish though, I always will.
    I don't believe I said anything that remotely insinuated that I "own or control the lake", just the way it is being abused (in my opinion). As I stated earlier, the big fish just aren't caught in the numbers they were a few years ago, because they're being kept. I've seen two guy's take home 6 Bluecats, all over 15lbs at least, (I'm a fair guesstimator). They were catching what I call "eater" fish too, and throwing them back, they would cut down on their creel limit of "Trophy Fish". They weren't once or twice a year or even a month "catchers", they'd fish almost every day the big Cats were running up at the North end of the lake, keeping all they caught. Their "right", absolutely.
    This year some of those same guy's were heard asking around if any one was catching any big Blues yet! Which they weren't, and probably won't next year either. It just doesn't make sense.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thank you every one for your reply's. I guess I wasn't as vague as I thought.

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Hey Matt, it's a good thing your name was there, I'd never have recognized you!:big_smile: , you're looking great! The "Little Princess" is a real doll too. Has she out grown here T shirt yet? Nice hearing from you.

16. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Mr. Leonard, I just read into it wrongly. My opologies to you. Mac

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mr. Jim, no apology necessary, I've misread and misunderstood things I've read myself more than once. Thank you though.

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    She has not outgrown it yet Jim, I'll be placing another order when she does. hehehe

Hope all is well buddy.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Matt, you let me know when she's ready. Next time I'll send her a full size shirt, small of course. But it'll have the full size logo on it. Give the little Lady a smooch and hug from CatfishFever for me, LOL. Got your PM, address' on the way.