A terrible Weekend

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by TOPS, Jan 16, 2006.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
  2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am glad that it didn't get any worse for them, man what a weekend!!!

Really glad everyone is Ok!!!

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sounds like a really bad weekend, but it could have easily been much worse. In the fall of 1983, just after moving back to Arkansas, I saw two older guys run over their anchor rope right below the powerhouse at Dardanelle. Took about 5 seconds for the boat to fill and turn over. The only reason the two guys lived through it was that they were wearing their life jackets. I'm beginning to think more and more that some kind of winch system for the anchor is worth the trouble and expense. Even just a powered capstan to pull in the anchor line would be safer than trying to do it by hand in a bad current.
    Would a 'safety link' of parachute cord be both strong enough to hold a boat in strong current, while at the same time being weak enough that it would break under power from the outboard?

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That was a bad time for sure, but it could have been worse, glad you are ok.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Man, glad y'all made it home. Hope them ribs are gonna be ok. Y'all be careful out there, and tell Lil Mac not to make such a strong anchor next time, lol .

6. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Well, I'm glad you guys are ok. Could have been a lot worse. Hope your ribs heal up quick!

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Top, real glad to hear everyone was all right .
    Thats one of those trips you don't want to have.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Top, glad to hear that everyone is OK, including the driver in front of Tin!
    We'll make sure that Keystone is much better!! LOL :0a22:

Not sure about that. I've used parachute cord for many different things, including pulling tree stumps. Only had it break a couple of times. Positive thing about it though, it is quick and easy to cut, much more so than normal anchor rope.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Glad to hear everyone is OK, bad thing happen to good people.

10. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Man thats got to be the worse fishing story ive ever heard. Glad to hear that yall made it back ok.

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Man...what a weekend..Glad everyone made it to fish another day:) I got stuck on a stump also and liked to turn over before getting off..Glad GOD watches over us!;)

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Yep, I am glad to hear they made it ok.

13. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Jeeez,
    Made my hair stand on end.Glad to hear that you guts ending up only losing your composure.Looks like a anchor in the library or a quick release in in your futures.My son and I copied the one in the BOC library and use the nylon ties to the top eye.Sure works well.
    BILL

14. WestFork

WestFork New Member

State:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Hey folks - I'm new to this site and really haven't gotten the hang of "posting", but hope this gets through and is appropriate for this thread.

My dad use to tell me stories about catfishing the Arkansas River some 60 years ago with a relative of ours in the Cecil area and sure wish I could have been there to experience those old times before the river was changed by the locks/dams, etc. I've recently returned to Ark, recently retired and hoping to renew some of the good times I spent fishing the River around the Spadra/Clarksville area some twenty plus years ago. Been out in the mountain west most of that time and have to relearn all about catching cats that inhabit these waters around here.

Reading about the folks with the unfortunate weekend trip really brings to home how some little thing can ruin a trip and possible result in injury or worse. It's a sure fire reminder for me, that's a fact. Looking forward to reading all the posts about catfishing these waters. I'm sure I'll learn a great deal from you folks. Thanks for having me!

15. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Sure am glad to hear you guys are OK !!!!:0a20:

Wally

16. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    im glad you guys are ok. i went on a river boat ride on the miss. out of natchez once. i saw 2 giaant whirlpools just appear out of no where . either one of the could have easily swallowed a big jon.i guess ill just stick to the arkansas it has enough danger for me

17. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    YIKES!!
    If you can get back on the horse again after a trip like that.
    You will appreciate the future trips all the more.
    Glad everyone was safe in the end.

18. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Wow, glad it was'nt worse! The next trip can't help but be better!

19. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    That's is sad to hear about , but everyone was ok and that is always a good thing.

20. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I hope all is well Dennis. I have to admire your attitude Dennis. As for crippled old man, No way, you are still a spring Buck buddy. How many people can take a pounding and ready for another fishing trip.

Jaime