A Teacher And The Student!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishrollo, Nov 25, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been fortunate in my almost 31 years on this planet to get to hunt and fish with some of the higher educated in the outdoors in my opinion. However, I got an education today that ranks at the top of all memories! I have had an interest in trapping for many years now. Although I am an avid hunter for many different animals, I have never tried, nor been around trapping. Fellow friend and BOC member Garry, (RetiredToFish) was good enough today to run his trapline this morning, then offer the opportunity for me to learn a new sport! He drove out of his way to share his "know how".. Likesaid, I have been around some great outdoorsmen over the years, but the education in a few hours from this man's lifetime of hunting, trapping etc. was one that I will always remember and hopefully pass on to my chidren. He showed me what sign to look for, feeding areas, difference in active dens and runs, to inactive ones, how to set traps, what traps are better for certain situations, and even brought a muskrat from this morning to show me how to skin, and even stretch the fur. etc. I will be lucky to remember it all! LOL. The eduacation I recieved on trapping that he gave me was simply amazing! Guess, I do have his recently published book on trapping to refer back to what he taught me if needed.!:wink: So I would like to thank him personally for his time and effort to help someone like myself learn something new that I will be able to give to another generation , and hopefully be passed on down the line. To me, " that is what a "great outdoorsmen" ,"hunter" , "fisherman", " or "trapper" how ever you want to label it,, Should Mean! Thanks again Garry! Greatly Appreciated!!!!:big_smile: rollo

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have always looked forward to reading Garrys posts. I would say
    you are learning from one of the bests. He knows his stuff.

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i used to trap in my younger years but it hard to get any time to do anything now i do get to hunt a little now and then. i am taking all next week to go blast some deer tho

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jason,

I hope we will be able to get out another time or two, so you can really sink your teeth into the enjoyment and work of trapping. I enjoyed writing the book on Muskrats to try and help others learn the sport, but one on one teaching is so much more enjoyable.

Although we didn't have the greatest setting to look for sign today, I think we had a place that most would have walked away from, but yet will were still able to find the elusive little "rat". When you get into really great rat habitat you will see what I mean.

You are a good student too Jason and since I have no one interested in learning the knowledge I have stored in this old brain of mine, you are welcome to it for the asking.

Garry-

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ain't no better way to train a pup than to run it with an ole' dawg.:wink: Trappins alot of work,,,but it's fun.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jason,Just wait till you have your first catch,You'll be hooked for life. Thanks Garry,and reps for taking the time to pass on an age old art.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can't wait! I am an outdoorsman of many things, but when I stepped into that first muskrat run, and started understanding where I was, and understood why!,,, that gave me some confidence I would be able to try, and possibly be decent at learning a new sport in the outdoors!! rollo

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Jason after reading your post I got to say you are one lucky man cause like you I have never trapped and a lot of other types of outdoor things like deer hunting hog hunting or even caught a bragging size fish but I keep on triing on the fish and I hope one day to learn on the deer and hog hunting I have coon hunted behind some good dogs in my younger day and would like to again maybe one day I will get to

9. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jason,

I was thinking about you today while running my line. I have been feeling a little better so decided to add a few traps. As I was wading up a small stream I saw 2 muskrats feeding ahead of me ... so have pin pointed their locations. Then was at another stream, which is much larger, made a couple of sets and wished I had a young strong person there to help explore and make some sets, but just too much for this old fart to handle safely now days. Ended up with only 4 rats today and 2 tripped traps. Catching is slow but adding up ....
    43 rats
    8 coon
    1 mink
    1 skunk
    2 possums
    2 coyotes

Garry-

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Trapping is fun, lots of work, I haven't done it in over 35 years, but I'm hopin to get back to it soon. Almost all my old grounds are taken over by a guy who knows what he's doin. He covers a lot of ground and takes the cream off, then moves on to another spot.

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Good post... reminds me of my youth 50 years ago when we trapped game for a zoo of sorts in an old butterfield stage station in the Cleveland forest by Mt. Palomar. Just happened to see my traps the other day....rusty from the salt air here at the beach

Merry Christmas bayrunner Ray

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    havent traped in many a year and when i did i ran the rivers here.going from point to point in a canoe and seting for coon was a hoot.i used the hole and bank sets mostly but when it got to costing me more than what i mas making i quit.sold all my traps and i had a few,5 dozen# 1 3/4 double coils,and 6 dozen # 110 conibears.i still got 3 dozen asorted size wire stretchers dont know why but maybe prices come back some day.