a talk with a marine biologist

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by poopdeck [patrick], Feb 7, 2008.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I had written a earlier post about no snagging at chain of rocks and a lot of people were wondering why. As I have a rather inquisitive nature I called up horseshoe lake where they have a marine biologist and this is what he told me. He said it is to protect the pallin sturgeon. Well I did not know what that fish was and he said they are down there and they get up to one hundred pounds. Now I want to catch one.:smile2: Anyway he said they eat similar to a catfish and are in the heavy current. I did ask him about snagging at alton and he said it is still allowed.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Interesting that is the only place they reside :wink: guess you will be hitting the heavy current this year :smile2:

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would like to catch one of them too....Rod & reel..100 lbs. sounds like fun to me:eek:oooh:

4. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I had caught sturgeons down there before but they were small about a pound or so. He said they were the stubnose are something and they get to be about five pounds. The way he talked theres a lot of them big ones around down there.

I told him about this site, he was going to look it up. Maybe he will come here and tell us how to catch fish.:big_smile:

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've never seen one harvested down there, has anybody else? One time we seen one where the Gasconade River meets the Missouri. It was enormous and it just came up and porpoised and went back down. She would have really put a strain on somebodies line I bet.:roll_eyes:

6. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I have never seen one either and I go down there a lot and have for years.

7. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm not sure, but I think that particular sturgeon is endangered or threatened. That is probably why you don't see many and why they may not want snagging where they are most plentiful. I'll tell you what though one hundred pounds sounds good to me too, I guess you can always go up to WI and MN for some lake sturgeon!

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey Patrick that sounds like a lot of fun 100# ,its got to be !!!

9. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    We have 3 sturgeon species in our area.

The Pallid Sturgeon
    http://wwwaux.cerc.cr.usgs.gov/MICRA/PALLIDST.HTM
    is an Endangered species and one of great concern lately. There is a lot of press and regulations going into effect the last couple years mostly concerning these guys and because of the new pressure on our caviar industry since the collapse of the Russian and Persian caviar fisheries.

The Shovelnose Sturgeon
    http://www.fws.gov/midwest/Fisheries/topic-shovelnosesturgeon.htm
    is our most common sturgeon and is still in decent numbers in our area. However they are starting to manage them more carefully as well for the same caviar reasons I stated above.

Most our Pallid sturgeon are similar size to shovelnose sturgeon and are difficult to differentiate from each other with an untrained eye. So tighter restrictions on all sturgeons come into being mostly to protect the endangered species.

The Lake Sturgeon
    http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/lakesturgeon.html
    can also get quite big and is often the one that is seen jumping or porposing during certain times of the year. Its head and nose is more rounded and it's "body armor" is more soft and rounded so it's pretty easy to tell them apart. These are a Threatened species as well, but we don't seem to be hearing much about them for some reason.

10. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Man Eric u must know a lot about fish:wink::wink::smile2::smile2:

11. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    This is a Lake Sturgeon that my friend caught. It was caught and released. He wasnt sure what kind it was when he caught it and wanted to keep it because the shovelnose sturgeon are legal to keep. But he wasnt sure so he released it. He showed pictures to a biologist and its a Lake Sturgeon. The guy said it was over 50 years old. Glad he didnt keep it thought because they are endangered. Definitly not worth the fines for some meat.

Well i cant figure out how to post it again so heres the link. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35594&page=4