A Tale of Catfishing Disaster

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by alienascii, Sep 19, 2009.

1. alienascii

alienascii New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Don't really know where to start but here's the deal:

I go fishing maybe 6 hours every 2 days for the past year, every time I go I set out a dedicated catfish line, and about 20 times I have made dedicated catfishing trips, trying to catch only catfish.

I have never caught a single catfish, nor had a single bite.

I have done countless hours of research, been to about 10 lakes that contain cats, and many times everyone around me was catching cats, but not me.

am I cursed?

I have used all kinds of fishing poles, everything from 4-20 lb line, circle hooks, baitholders, dip worms, and trebles of all sizes 8-6/0.
    I've used shad, crawfish, minnows, goldfish, bluegill, chicken livers, beef livers, strawberry dough, 6 kinds of dip bait and 9 kinds of dough bait, mussels, worms.... probably a few more I'm not thinking of...

I have fished at all times in all conditions, spend huge amounts of time, money, and research, with not one fu__ing fish to show for it.

I would appreciate some insight, what am I doing wrong? with all the research I've done as well as being a fisherman a while I don't think i'm making any major mistakes, but I could be wrong.

I love catfish and everything about catfishing, I just wish it would work for me. let me know what you think before I give up this hobby for good.
    thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    You have to cast out! LOL :smile2:

What types of cats are you targeting?

Seriously, that's the way it goes sometimes. We've all been there dude. Don't give up and welcome to the BOC!

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Well Derek it doesn't sound like you are doig anything wrong. You know they call it fishing for a reason. I can't explain why your not catching anything but bait presentation bara metric preasure moon phase water temp wind direction time of day water temp (at the bottom and surface). Those are just a few things that I consider when go fishing almost everytime. Hang in there buddy when happens it will be a great day to remember.

Later,
    Chris

Welcome to the B.O.C. also.

4. alienascii

alienascii New Member

State:
    Colorado
    channel cats, that's all there really are in CO. haha :) I was hoping it would crawl out of the water and shake my hand so I wouldn't have to cast ;)

Thanks for the welcome!

well I suppose i'll just stick it out and yes I'm sure it will be a day to remember when I finally get r done!

I figured that would be the answer but after all this time of no fish I just started to wonder if there was something obvious I just wasn't seeing.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Is this the first year you have catfished? location is important,you dont want to just cast anywhere you want to look for specific spots.Like down trees laying in the water log jams,boulders,under bridge supports.The mouths of feeder creeks especially after a rain.
    what size hooks are you using? are you offering big enough pieces of bait?
    Dont stay in one place to long,if you dont get a bite within say half hour to an hour change locations,sometimes you have to go find them.
    Are you fishing lakes or rivers? bank or boat? more info the better we can help.:wink:

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    welcome to the site, my advice would be to just keep at it, i usually try several different spots in a nite it the bite is slow, if you can get to a store that carries seafood try blue fish for bait, its very oily and has strong scent and is also cheap, i have found this works great for channel cats.

7. alienascii

alienascii New Member

State:
    Colorado
    yes this is the first year i've catfished, besides the few I caught when I was younger.

I try to target underwater structure and changes in depth. I fish lakes, from the bank and I always move if I don't get anything in 20-40 mins.

I usually use 4/0-6/0 circle hooks, 1/0-2/0 baitholders, or size 1-4 treble hooks.

Thanks I'll try the bluefish!

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Things like this happen. I tore the cats up in July and halfway through Augest, now its slow, real slow. But I keep getting back out there and dont give up. It will turn around soon, you never know when it will be your day, week, month. Jus the fact getting outside is good enough for me. Jus be thankfull for getting the oppurtunitie. Good luck out there.

9. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Don't worry it took me awhile before I caught a catfish too.

Try fishing near structure if it holds bass it can certainly hold catfish. I have my best luck fishing in less than 10 feet of water, preferably murky or kinda dirty. I like fishing near a creek that flows into the lake. I have my best luck fishing a weighted fixed bobber about 2 feet off the bottom with no weight and using shrimp as bait. I have also had good luck with shad flavored preserved baits (preferably not magic bait but it works sometimes). If you prefer not to use a bobber, make sure the line is tight or else you will never see a bite. Also make sure the water you are fishing definetly has catfish, not just bass and perch. If the pond has a catfish feeder ring I recommend fishing near that, preferably just before feeding.

You will catch them eventually, don't give up

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC.:wink:

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep that temp change really screwed up the bite:angry::sad2:

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    well first you will want to do some research on the waters you're fishing. depth water temp ect. then I would pick a species to target and since you haven't caught very many I'd start off with channel cats they're more abundant and easier to catch I think. The bait's you've been using are fine for channels I would use chicken livers, worms,cut shad, or try some team catfish secret 7 dip bait you really can't go wrong with these. are you fishing lakes or rivers? boat or bank?

13. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would try using a slip bobber if you haven't tried..Cats are not always on the bottom sometimes they suspend especially in lakes..And find a deep hole and a steep ledge..Welcome to the BOC..

14. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    The only advice I can give is do not waste to much time in one spot , unless you are targeting a monster.A channel will find bait fast if they are around , also look for any type of cover.Look for laydowns that are close to deeper water.Also use the wind , current to your advantage.If one or the other is moving try and fish with it.Alot of people want to get out of the wind all fish posistion themselves to catch food being blown or stirred up by wind , waves and current.Use it to your advantage , also keep one rig with a slip cork just off the bottom.I have good luck using a punch or dip bait , if a channel is around they will find it.Good luck and don't give up.

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC. You have joined a great site. Read the posts and listen to what all these guys have to say. You'll be talking about your new PB's before long.

16. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Welcome to the BOC, Derek. It really is a brotherhood around here, and there's wealth of information on this very subject.

Do you spray your hands with anything (sunscreen, DEET, etc) that could be transferring it's smell to your bait? Be sure to rinse any funny smells off your hands. Maybe try some different ponds or lakes of you haven't already.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'd be dumbfounded as well if I was in your situation. Good luck next time you're out there.

17. alienascii

alienascii New Member

State:
    Colorado
    southgadan, good thinking!

The lakes I fish are usually swarming with mosquitoes and gnats so I always spray down with the 40% DEET stuff when I get there.

I'll try enduring the mosquitoes next time and see what happens.

I've been a long time lurker at this forum and i'm glad I finally joined. I'm proud to be a part of the best catfishing community out there.

Well, tomorrow I'm heading out at 3am to go catfishing so maybe i'll get very lucky :roll_eyes:
    I guess i'll also throw out a carp line so at least something will bend my rod in half :big_smile:

Does anybody know of any good catfish spots around Denver? A couple of people have said union reservoir, but all I've caught there were some monster carp.

Thanks!

18. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Just try to keep it off your hands! i use 40% and have no problems

19. alienascii

alienascii New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Okay so I went fishing at this new place called jim baker resevoir, and I got a bite for the first time ever. This guy at the lake told me he caught a 28lb channel cat in the exact spot i was fishing, I was skeptical but he had some pics on his phone and this thing was huge! I'm glad I finally found a good spot, I'll keep fishing it and see what happens. If I can get a bite while it's snowing and 30 degrees outside who knows, maybe the fishing will be better in ideal weather. Thanks!