A Strange Old/New hobby of Mine

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by redneckdrum, Mar 29, 2006.

1. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I had a friend of mine stop by today just to insult my lifestyle at home because I recently put away the TV for a new past time.First, let me explain,When i was growing up,I was raised by parents who were strict,Holiness Pentecostal ministers,as a result anything 'worldly'such as TV,movie shows,sporting events,...etc...,were strictly forbidden.However in the eveningtime if we wer'nt studying the bible(I still do) we would sit around in the living room and listen to OLD TIME RADIO PROGRAMS they had on reel-to-reel.All you older brothers(and sisters)out there know what I'm talking about,but for you young members,Before the advent of television,families used to spend thier evenings around the old wooden AM radio and listen to programs like Amos & Andy,Gunsmoke,Lum & Abner,The Lone Ranger,Dragnet,the list goes on & on.Seeing all the trash on TV today,for awhile I longed to go back to a simpler time and relive my childhood.Years have passed and the OTR programs got lost.I didnt know where to go to get a hold of these priceless gem's until I was browsing on EBAY and out of curiousity,typed-in OLD TIME RADIO SHOWS,much to my amazement,the site was full of OTR programs.I browsed further for my favorite, The Lone Ranger, to find a few show's and there it was,300+ shows on MP3 format with a buy it now price of $10.00.To make this short,I've sat all day buying nothing but OTR programs.The memories of my boyhood got so intense I took the TV out of the living room so I can enjoy my new heaven-on-earth.

I didnt mean to take-up space here on the B.O.C. but I just had to share this with y'all.Everyone talks about goin' back to the simple life,and this is the way to do it in my book.

If this new hobby makes me wierd,SO WHAT! It's like that country song says:'You Do Your Thing,I'll Do Mine(dont know who sings it),but the good thing about it,these programs will be with me this summer when I go nitefishin'.

Thats all I have to say.Does anyone else out there know what i'm talking about when it comes to old radio? Can You old timers remember what your favorite's were?

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    How about Fibber McGee and Molly, The Shadow, Gang Busters, Hopalong Cassidy, The Green Door, The Green Hornet, Gildersleeve, Our Miss Brooks, Inner Sanctom, and the list goes on and on. I especially liked the Grand Ole Opry and the Louisiana Hayride. What great memories, all that is on TV now is mostly garbage.

3. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas

Glad to find someone who dosent think I'm all that strange,You definitly know where I'm coming from,Jim........Lets not forget Burns & Allen!

4. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas

Oh yeah,lets not forget my ultimate all-time favorite's:H.G.Wells 'War Of The World's & SUSPENSE.

5. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    John,

And that one channel on TV had more quality programming in an hour than all the cable and satellite channels pump out in a week... combined!!!

Back in the day, the good guys were good, the bad guys were bad and ya never had to wonder about who would come out on top. The shows were written by folks with morals. Simple was good.

Mike

6. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Y'all keep the kudo's comin'.I feel better already.

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I remember all of the above, use to crowd around the kitchen tablr at night and listen to them, was a fantastic time as a family.

8. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Though I still stops whatever Im doing to take a break and laugh at an old episode of the Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, or Abbot and Costello, Iwas also a fan of old time radio for a long time.

My alltime favorites are George and Gracie. It speaks volumes that stuff that old can get you laughing right out of your chair and it is stuff that kids can safely listen to as well.
    On another note,
    Anyone remember the old Ajax Liquor Store sketch? ROTFL

Even some of Flip Wilson's radio work cracks me up, although it is nt the same era youre speaking of.

I know somewhere I have a bunch of those tapes....
    I gotta dig em out now!

Thanks for the memory.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    You guys have brought back a lot of those programs that I had forgotten.

Another thing I remember about our old radio, seems like the battery was always dead and we were waiting on a order from Montgomery Ward. :sad:
    The battery was no little thing.

10. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    I remember all those old radio "shows" and I guess that really expresses what we value if we remember them after all this time. Life was simpilar or not as cluttered, society didn't demand we have a cell phone "super glued" to our ear (we could call someone "tomorrow" and not feel bad about it). If it was really important we would go "visit." Maybe there is somthing to be said about a simpilar life that envolved those old radio "shows." I distinctly remember the radio brought the family into the same room at the same time, how often does that happen today in our 100 mph society?

As another member posted earlier, I wish you enough.

11. Sundowner

Sundowner New Member

I know exactly what you mean, John. There is a freeware web site called nonags.com. If you become a member (I think it was about $19.00) they have 1000s of the old radio programs you can download. Some of them really take me back to when we listened on a radio that had a battery about the size of a Volkswagen because we didn't have electricity.

12. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas

Hey Sal,I do remember Ajax liquor store but cant remember who did it.I had it years ago on one of those various artists K-TEL albums(you do remember those)

13. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Ajax Liquor Store was performed by Hudson& Landry.I'm gonna order their greatest hit's CD on EBAY right now. Ain't nothin' wrong with the newer recordings either.Bob Newhart was pretty good.And yes.I do remember Flip Wilson,especially 'Christopher Columbus'

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Hey guy's, I dont know if you have dollar stores in your area, but I have a colection of about 200 old movies that I bought a couple at a time for a buck apiece on dvd. I like the old westerns, but have found many of the ones listed! Here is an artical from U.S.A. Today about these great finds! http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2004-12-14-cheap-dvds_x.htm

15. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    " The Shadow Knows " Man, do I ever remember listening to them old radio shows. On Sat evening, after my sister and I took our baths, mom would fix some pop corn and we would all listen to the radio shows. We didn't pick up any Bad habits or thoughts from what we heard, unlike today for some people.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    you can also download some of those on limewire.its a file sharing program.i've downloaded some hudson and landry,its a great way to get a lot of files and its free!

17. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I am only 34 years old but I have some good old days memories. Just last night, the English Comp Class and I were discussing this very subject. We spoke of T.V. being a bad thing and having a bad influence on the families. I told of being a kid and always being in the yard, till late, playing. The teacher,Mr.Gilbert, Had very simular memories and we discussed how the "Tube" is being used as a baby-sitter for some of the kids in the country. Also, we talked about how the T.V. was touted as "A marvel that would bring families together" when it was new back in the 40s. In actuallity, it has seperated the family because Mom watches the small tv in the kitchen while making the family meals(if that even happens anymore), the kids mostly have a tv in their bedrooms to watch cartoons or worse and Dad is in the Livingroom or Den watching sports or news on the bigscreen. If someone tries to start a conversation, they hear,"SHHHHH!!! I am watching this!" That is not bringing a family together. It is a detrement in most cases. I hope I have not offended anyone. I need to get off my soapbox now because I am missing my program on the T.V. lol. ;)

18. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I listened to a lot of them. One station was broadcasting from Del Rio Texas but don't remember the programs. Then there was WLS out of Chicago that played the "old rock and roll" but it wasn't old then.

19. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas

Thanks for the link,Phillip.It's amazing how nobody wants to spend a buck on something moral & clean,but they will go to Best Buy and spend $20+ on filth.

20. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky