A Story & Questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Sep 24, 2008.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Everyone that know me knows I dont target BIG fish.

I like to fish for numbers of Channels.If i catch a fish over 10 lbs I fill that is a bouns.I do catch a few in the 10-20 lb range every yr and thats a Big fish to me.

Well here's my story:

After seeing JJ go out with all the luck he has had this yr and catch a BIG flat i thought hell i can do that if JJ can..hee!hee! (Sorry JJ) but it did light a fire in me to go out and try to catch me a flat.
    So Sun morning i head to Osage with a bucket full of perch & Gills.
    Baited up and threw out three poles (yes i have the third pole premit).One was with a catbobber set about 12' deep.

It's 5am and the wait is on. I have a full jug of coffee and time on my hands.After about 15 min I'm thinking to myself this is some borning Sh%$ how do these guys do it.
    I'm filling like JJ by about 6am ready to go walking somewhere but i said to myself hang in here.Then at 630am it happened.The clicker goes off.Wow my heart beat goes up a little.I walk over to the pole and he's still pulling line at a slow but steady pace.After about 15-20 feet of line was pulled i took the rod out of the holder.
    He's still pulling line so i pilled a little line out fast and set the brake.He's still going the rod starts to load up (circle hook) and just when I was ready to pull back he let up.Rod bent a little then went slack.(&^%^) I said,now what.
    He pulled again a I released the brake.Set it back in the holder and in the next 30 min he would pull 3-5 feet of line a quit.This went on until 630am.
    Then nothing.I took the rod out of the holder felt nothing pulled back and reeled it in.The 6" gill was scaled but still somewhat alive.

What do you guys think.Could it of been a flathead?
    And did I wait to long?

Anyway it was fun and I'm heading back again this weekend.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah, it is possible that was a flatty. They can scale a bait like that.
    When I fish for flatheads I tightline with a kahle hook. Alot of times they set themselves but I have the option to set if needed. The way they have been bitin around here I have been settin the hook more often then not.
    From my experiences, a flathead will pull harder once he feels resistance. Once the line goes tight and I can feel the fish I yank on him. Not a real hard yank, just enough to get past the barb.
    One thing that has been workin for me is smaller baits. The 40 I got a while back was on a 3-4 inch perch. A 5 lb channel could have easily swallowed it.
    Thats what I would try. Smaller baits and tight lines, except on the CatBobber. Sometimes when they are finiky and are playing with the bait, I will just keep tuggin on the line with my finger until it pisses him off enough to hit it. It works most of the time.
    Plus with the smaller baits you have a shot at one of those monster channels.
    Good Luck out there Tom.
    If your job ever sends you my way again, you are welcome to sit on the bank with me and chase flatheads. It can be a boring persuit but it can be worth it. I would fish for channels more but the river I fish is primarily a flathead river so they get my time. I like sitting there and not doing anything sometimes. You never know when they are gonna strike.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Kyle I will try that this weekend.

It can be boring and i know when Gus,,JJ and me went to the river while out at tuttle i guess i fell asleep and they said I snored.
    (can you belive that) but they might be right because when i woke up JJ was about 100yds down the river bank from me.Hee!Hee!...

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Yeah What Kyle Said Except That I Leave The Clickers On And Do Almost What You Did Just When He Is Running Feed Him Some Line And When He Pulls It Tight Set The Hook. I Would Also Recommend Kahle Hooks.

I Really Don't Know If There Are That Many Flats There In Osage Or Not But Dsage Did Get A 32 Pound Channel There So It Could Of Been A Big Channel.

I Would Also Try A Least One Pull With Cut Bait As If The Flats Are'nt Hitting That Well Then Atleast You Might Get Some Action To Help Keep You A Wake.

For Me Cut Bluegill Works Best When You Can't Get Shad.

Just A Thought.

Me And Keith Were There Friday Night Sat Morning And Did'nt Get Anything.

Let Me Know When You Go There On A Friday Night And I Will See If Me And Keith Might Meet You Out There.

Good Luck.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Shelby...I know there are flats in there, there was one caught about 1 month ago about 30lbs.

Plus i caught them in there over 20 yrs ago.

I just think with his slow speed it was a flat.Even big Channels will hit hard and fast...

I will let you guys know what day i'm going down there and give you a shout.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    At least some one is getting some action on the lake there. I have not had any luck as of late. All I can come up with are the little 3-4 pounders. I was out there Sunday afternoon caught a few but nothing over 6lb. From the sounds of it we a had a ton of the KS guys there last weekend.

Tom it is hard to say if it was a flat or not my guess is 80% yes it was a flat. I know of several that have been pull from there this year one going 60 and some odd pounds. The question I would ask is how many are in there and how many are left. I knwo all the one I have heard about left the lake never to breath again. One thing that I would change is to change to Kahle. The only time that I have luck with flats and Circles is when they are in a real agressive feeding time. If you PM me with the GPS location I could tell you better if it was a flat or not.:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2::wink:

I know that I will be back there a bunch more before the water temp hits 60. Sunday afternoon it was 78 and when I left was 76.

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thats a shame those big flats are being taken out of a small lake.

Oh well I hope they tasted good.

I dont know for sure either if it was a flat,channel,or hell even a beaver:smile2:.

I will tell you where i was at "but I will PM that to you.Not that i wont share a spot with anyone But I need to go back there one more time and try it myself.

This time I will change hooks to a kahle. (thanks)

Thanks Guys for all the info.

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Just a second thought the old man hooked in to a nice size snapper the same night I caught the 32lb. it was acting like a flat when it was hitting his line the only difference was when he went to set the hook he set it and it was like he was hooked on a log. No give and no take then he stated pulling it in like a log after a nice tug of war he pulled in the last bit of line and there he was I would say he would go 10plus never got it in. He hooked it in the leg so he reached down popped the hook.

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Well Dan thanks for just taking the wind out of my sails..:confused2:

But i dont think this was the case i know the differance between a tuttle and a fish.Unless that SOB had turbo jets in his a_ _!
    Plus the bait was not bitten but only de-scaled.

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Was not trying to take the wind out from your sails, Tom.

That does make since if he ran fast. 86 the last post then.

I do know this if you had your Katbobber at that depth it rules out all the places I target there.

Good luck this weekend might just see you there if your go Sunday.

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    No problem Dan...
    The pole i got the run on was on the bottom in 20+ foot of water.

I will be there sometime this weekend just dont know what day yet..

12. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Tom
    I think that Kyle hit the nail on the head with using smaller baits. I had the same problem this spring using big gills. I know that what was hitting them were big channels. The next night I used smaller bait and caught several big channels and a 38lb flat. I never liked circles myself.