A stance on CPR

Discussion in 'Outdoor Articles' started by loanwizard, May 23, 2008.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Leroy, [Sleekcraft], a member has a thread going on here in the dipbait section where he thought he would be jumped on by the CPR folks (of which I am one). He actually thought he might lose friends.

It saddened me to think that we as a group have communicated so poorly that people are secretly afraid to share their opinion for fear of public ridicule. I thought I would give my view on CPR and see if we could come up with a maybe not official BOC stance, but a majority opinion on the benefits of CPR.

First and foremost, we have no problem with a fisherman who follows the laws of the state in which they are licensed. If the legislature believes it ok to keep catfish without restriction, then if we have a problem, those issues need to be addressed to the state. None of us are against the consumption of what we catch, especially in these trying times. If you are good enough or blessed enough to catch enough to feed an individual, a family or even a village, as long as you do not waste it, you are encouraged to enjoy Gods bounty.

The idea of CPR (catch, photo, release) stems from the sometimes gluttonous capacity of humankind. Many of us remember Lake Erie in the mid 70's where there were warning signs about swimming in the water. I mention that because I am from Ohio and we are now the walleye capital of the world due to clean up efforts and fish management.

As a sportsman, my belief is that we don't need to wait for the legal system to tell us how to preserve our sport. One of our obligations as a citizen is to pass our traditions down to our children, hopefully richer in knowlege and richer in resource than when we were introduced to it.

I am not a biologist, but it makes sense that as fishing, particularly catfishing, gains popularity, there will be more pressure on a finite resource.

CPR proponents encourage all sportsmen to release all catfish over 10 lbs.
    Why 10 lbs? It is not an arbitrary number, just one that since not legislated, most of us consider a good number. Our logic is that there are many many catfish in the squealer to 10 lb range. Catfish over 10 lbs are more rare and with increased pressure and no thought to furthering the species could cause a decrease in the catch rates of trophy size fish for our children and grandchildren.

We ask that you consider this when you fish. The Brotherhood of Catfishermen is a place full of information to help you catch the fish of a lifetime. There are members here that have caught catfish in excess of 100 lbs. With information found here you have a heightened opportunity to catch a fish of 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 lbs or more. If a site can help 1,000 members or 20% of its membership catch more and larger fish, it makes sense that there will be less available fish to catch if they are not returned to the water alive to fight another day. There becomes a mathematical equation that shows that as the number of fisherman increase to a certain number, there is a point where the reproduction rate of the species cannot keep up and the numbers of fish caught and the size decrease. We believe that it is our duty to protect the species and the sport. Through education and encouragement we sportsmen, without the help of law enforcement, can manage the resource ourselves.

It is our intent to encourage you to release that trophy as soon as possible after you land it. A photograph can store that special moment for an eternity. That fish may well be the king of it's territory. We ask that you dignify that fish and the will it took for it to survive to the point you were blessed with catching it.

Any thoughts comments and ideas are welcomed. I would like to finalize this as an article if it is worthy.

Thanks,

Shawn Dostie (Coshocton, Ohio)

Ol Man likes this.