A stance on CPR

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by loanwizard, May 23, 2008.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Leroy, [Sleekcraft], a member has a thread going on here in the dipbait section where he thought he would be jumped on by the CPR folks (of which I am one). He actually thought he might lose friends.

It saddened me to think that we as a group have communicated so poorly that people are secretly afraid to share their opinion for fear of public ridicule. I thought I would give my view on CPR and see if we could come up with a maybe not official BOC stance, but a majority opinion on the benefits of CPR.

First and foremost, we have no problem with a fisherman who follows the laws of the state in which they are licensed. If the legislature believes it ok to keep catfish without restriction, then if we have a problem, those issues need to be addressed to the state. None of us are against the consumption of what we catch, especially in these trying times. If you are good enough or blessed enough to catch enough to feed an individual, a family or even a village, as long as you do not waste it, you are encouraged to enjoy Gods bounty.

The idea of CPR (catch, photo, release) stems from the sometimes gluttonous capacity of humankind. Many of us remember Lake Erie in the mid 70's where there were warning signs about swimming in the water. I mention that because I am from Ohio and we are now the walleye capital of the world due to clean up efforts and fish management.

As a sportsman, my belief is that we don't need to wait for the legal system to tell us how to preserve our sport. One of our obligations as a citizen is to pass our traditions down to our children, hopefully richer in knowlege and richer in resource than when we were introduced to it.

I am not a biologist, but it makes sense that as fishing, particularly catfishing, gains popularity, there will be more pressure on a finite resource.

CPR proponents encourage all sportsmen to release all catfish over 10 lbs.
    Why 10 lbs? It is not an arbitrary number, just one that since not legislated, most of us consider a good number. Our logic is that there are many many catfish in the squealer to 10 lb range. Catfish over 10 lbs are more rare and with increased pressure and no thought to furthering the species could cause a decrease in the catch rates of trophy size fish for our children and grandchildren.

We ask that you consider this when you fish. The Brotherhood of Catfishermen is a place full of information to help you catch the fish of a lifetime. There are members here that have caught catfish in excess of 100 lbs. With information found here you have a heightened opportunity to catch a fish of 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 lbs or more. If a site can help 1,000 members or 20% of its membership catch more and larger fish, it makes sense that there will be less available fish to catch if they are not returned to the water alive to fight another day. There becomes a mathematical equation that shows that as the number of fisherman increase to a certain number, there is a point where the reproduction rate of the species cannot keep up and the numbers of fish caught and the size decrease. We believe that it is our duty to protect the species and the sport. Through education and encouragement we sportsmen, without the help of law enforcement, can manage the resource ourselves.

It is our intent to encourage you to release that trophy as soon as possible after you land it. A photograph can store that special moment for an eternity. That fish may well be the king of it's territory. We ask that you dignify that fish and the will it took for it to survive to the point you were blessed with catching it.

Any thoughts comments and ideas are welcomed. I would like to finalize this as an article if it is worthy.

Thanks,

Shawn Dostie (Coshocton, Ohio)

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Fisrt of all great post & thanks for posting it. I think this statement---------- "First and foremost, we have no problem with a fisherman who follows the laws of the state in which they are licensed. If the legislature believes it ok to keep catfish without restriction, then if we have a problem, those issues need to be addressed to the state. None of us are against the consumption of what we catch, especially in these trying times. If you are good enough or blessed enough to catch enough to feed an individual, a family or even a village, as long as you do not waste it, you are encouraged to enjoy Gods bounty" , is always left out whenever this topic comes up, not that it should be repeated every time, but for those who don't let their opinion be known as you have in this post, it seems as if these certain individuals who do come on these threads & bash people don't feel the same way as most others. You're right we shouldnt have to wait for legislature or laws to be passed that determine the way we harvest, but not everyone has the trophy fisheries that other fine states have. Not that they were'nt stocked or not even that they were overfished, they just aren't the fisheries that others have, be it funds not available or these particular states just don't see fishing the way us catfishermen do, they would rather stock bass by the 10's of thousands every year sometimes twice a year & stock catfish by the hundreds every 10 or 15 years!! ( I have read the stocking reports on tpwd website) I agree, all the more reason to practice selective harvest & CPR, but most of these waterways & reservoirs around here or in other peoples states just won't get the recognition for a great catfish potential hotspot like the better known ones that are posted from here on the board!!!!

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great post Shawn. I think it would make a Great Sticky or Article write up. I agree 100% with you. Imagine that.....:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::tounge_out::wink:

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    well said shawn:wink:

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Shawn thats a good post thank you so much for posting this, I agree with what you said in your post and stuff, I practice the CPR method when im out fishing but at the same time I still keep some and eat my self, but anything thats over 10 pouds I always throw back because the meat aint no good on them after they get so big, I try to keep usually enough to eat on, if there smaller cats, anything over 10 pounds, I always take a picture of it and release it.

6. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    good post Shawn,I agree 100%

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Great thread and post, Shawn. I think you know where I stand, from the thread you mentioned above. I would also like to add that almost all of us here that believe in CPR, had never heard of it pertaining to catfish, when we first got to this site. The more information we learn, the more we tend to lean toward CPR.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    great post shawn! in my family we practice selective harvest and eat the majority of what we catch. when the cpr issue arises on here and folks wonder more about if someone released a big fish than the awesome fight the fish put up, i will sit here in my corner and stfu. i am not going to put it out there that i eat several cats a year over 10 pounds a year. not because i give a rip what anyone thinks, but because i see no reason to piss people off that i genuinely like on here. it's my right to eat those fish that i catch legally, just as it's your right to release the same fish, and i respect that. i can't remember who it was, maybe griz or lil griz, that made a post about an outing them and some friends had recently on a river, where someone caught a pb flattie or something. they talked about the camraderie, and the food, and the nice night, and i felt like i was there too. the release of the fish was incidental, and to me the story would have been just as good as if they had kept it. that's the kind of thing i want to read about on here. i do feel that there are the extremes, like radish's blue cat, that should always be released. again shawn, thanks for the post.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH CPR BUT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN SOMEONE TELL'S ME I NEED TO RELEASE MY FISH WHEN THE COMMERICAL FISHERMAN PULLS UP BESIDE ME AND NOT A THING IS SAID TO HIM AND HE HAS 10 OR 15 EVEN MAYBE 30 BIG ONES . HOW COME WE HAVE NOT BASHED THEM IN ALABAMA THERE IS NO LIMET ON HOW MANEY YOU CAN TAKE A DAY, I REMEMBER WHEN I LIVED IN TEXAS IF I REMEMBER WRIGHT I THINK IT WAS 25 ADAY AND A MIN. OF 9". NOW WHY DONT WE GO AFTER THE COMMERICAL FISHERMANS AND TELEPHONERS. I HAVE BEEN TOLD WHEN A FISH GETS TELEPHONED IT IS STERILE FOR THREE YEARS?? I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT IS A FACT. IT'S A SHAME WHEN WE HAVE VISTOR'S ON LINE AND THEY SEE US BASHING EACH OTHER WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY THINK ABOUT THE BASHING. YOU KNOW I FISH EVERYDAY AND I ONLY KEEP A FISH IF WE WANT IT FOR SUPPER AND YOU CAN BET IF THE WIFE SAID SHE WANT'S FISH FOR SUPPER AND ALL I COUGHT WAS A 15# er THAT IS WHAT IS FOR SUPPER, BUT SOME ONE THAT THAINK'S HE IS DOING SOMETHING BY TELLING ME I NEED TO RELEASE IT HE DON'T KNOW THE HUNDRENDS OF FISH THAT I HAVE RELEASED. SO I GUESS WHAT I AM SAYING IS DON'T SAY A THING UNTIL YOU KNOW THE FACTS WHY I MIGHT BE KEEPING A FISH. THANK YOU FOR READING THIS AND I HOPE I HAVE NOT UPSET ANYONE

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    SHAWN,

I FORGOT TO TELL YOU WHAT A GREAT POST AND THANK GOD WE LIVE IN THE GOOD OLD U S A AND CAN SPEAK OUR FEELINGS:big_smile:

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Shawn, that is one of the most rational, well thought out and well written pieces I have read in my time here. It is indeed a travesty that one of our own would fear losing friends from revealing that he eats what he catches.
    I support CPR 100% but would never even think to ostracize a guy for eating his catch. Shame on us that he should fear such a thing...W

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good post shawn. ive argued this to death lol, so im done.

13. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Great post shawn!:big_smile: I agree 100% .

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i agree with you brother we eat alot of fish thrue the year but mostly channels and i also selective harvest my catch if its to small back it goes and if it is to big also let it go but in my part of the country we catch alot of 20lbrs and if thats all i catch and we need fish to eat i will keep it also the thing to remember also is that after all is said and done we as a group do better than any other sports club because you cannot cpr a deer or a duck and so on but we do and that in itself makes us special that dont meen i dont eat game but i do shun people who go out and for example shoot dove because its dove season and say i dont eat dove to me that dont make sence
    i have a friend that hunts for dove to show his kids how and has them clean them then brings them to my house and gives them to me so to not waste
    but to just leave any animal lay is just a waste and a shame
    years ago we got the opportunity to get us a black bear with a tag and after we tried it we did not like it so gave the meat to a neighber who was less fortunate than us but guess what we never hunted for bear ever again

15. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Beautiful post.... I think that a variety of subjects have come up here that need to be better explored and mulled over by those of us who enjoy the gifts of the great outdoors. I am interested in the effects of commercial fishing and the regulations thereof ( I need to do homework about it ) and to what extent various fish and wildlife agencies support the catfish fisheries.

A thought, do any of you worry that this very down to earth sport ( catfishing ) that we enjoy will devolve into a commercial free for all as has the bass fishing and walleye fishing sports? Or deer hunting? I believe that the undue emphasis placed upon "the trophy" ultimately hurts the sport. We go from enjoying the sport to having to catch "THE fish".

I dont mean to rant, I just get torqued down when I see an enjoyable passtime that gets trashed by its own success.

Lifes short, fish and pray hard.:wink:

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is a great post-I am giong to start cpr of ten -fifteen lbers up but in the past I was raised farm boy standards we eat what we catch waste not want not-respect the land & be thankful fer your bounty.
    Living on the Sippi seeing a big one harvested dont bother me if it was caught in the realms of the law and I cant tell another man what to do with his fish..........but to see them wasted has always been a majior issue with me................a certian amount of harvest needs to be done to replenish the fishereys no matter how you look at it.

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    First off, good post Shawn, tyvm. As for myself when i came to this place ( BOC) i never had heard of CPR. I was/am an avid bass fisherman and usualy always released the bass i caught, due to the fact that i might catch it when my money was at stake. I never considered releasing catfish due to my lack of thought and education on the matter. It never crossed my mind the HUGE difference from eating smaller fish as opposed to bigger fish, the amount of eggs that are lost.
    I brought home some smaller fish last week from the Missouri gathering and they are delicious. Would have died for a pic of me releasing a big fish but that wasn't in the cards. I've babbled enuff, but thanks to the BOC, i now understand the aspect of CPR, and the importance of it, if we are gonna have a healthy population of fish.

18. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    THANKS FOR THE POST SHAWN!! GOOD INORMATION YOU SHARED WITH US!! I AGREE 100% IF NOT MORE. I RELEASE ALL MY FISH EXCEPT SOME SMALL 2-3 LB CHANNELS IM STOCKING MY PERSONAL POND WITH. I HAVE ONLY KEPT 25 OF THEM FROM A LOCAL LAKE AND PUT ALL BUT ONE IN MY POND. HAD ONE DIE SO HE WAS CLEANED AND PLACED IN THE FREEZER. I HAVE CAUGHT PROBALLY 1000'S OF CHANNELS AND 100'S OF SMALLER BLUES FROM 5-10 LBS. NEVER ONCE HAVE I KEPT ANYTHING EXCEPT THOSE 25 TO STOCK MY POND AT HOME. I ENCOURAGE CPR BUT BY NO MEANS WOULD I TRY TO AFFEND ANYONE THAT DOES NOT DO IT. I HAVE SEEN AT BADIN AND AT HIGH ROCK 30-50LB FISH BROUGHT IN SO PEOPLE CAN BRAG AND SHOW THEM OFF AND THEY GET THROWN AWAY IN THE DITCH OR TRASH CAN BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO CLEAN THEM OR THEY SAY YOU CANT EAT FISH THAT BIG THEY DONT TASTE GOOD. THIS TO ME IS SHEAR DUMBA$$ KNOWLEDGE AND THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE SPORT AND THE LOVE OF THE GAME. BUT WHAT CAN YOU SAY IF THEY FOLLOW LOCAL LAWS AND DO WHAT IS RIGHT THEY ARE ALLOWED TO KEEP TROPHY FISH HERE IN NC. I GUESS EVERYONE HAS THIER OWN VIEWS ON THIS AS WE CAN READ. I WOULD LIKE EVERYONE TO KNOW I SUPPORT CPR AND PRACTICE IT 2 OR 3 NIGHTS A WEEK ON ANYFISH I CATCH. THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD INFO ON THE POSTS ON THIS SUBJECT. HOPE I DIDNT RUFFLE TO MANY FEATHERS BUT JUST MY .02.

19. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Here is the part of cpr I don't understand; Why is cpr limited to catfish? I understand this is obviously a catfishing forum, but I would think everyone here loves the outdoors enough to care about all fish and wildlife. So when you catch a trophy size bluegill why don't you take a picture and toss it back? Why is that okay to stick it on a hook to catch another bigger fish? Would it be okay if I took a trophy catfish out and cut it up to catch a shark? Obviously that is a ridiculous example, but I think you get the point. So why when I see a picture and story of a 2 pound bluegill and it ends with it tasted great or I used it for bait does nobody preach cpr?

This was all brought on by the South Carolina section just for the record. In one post people are going crazy about cpr due to a 43lb. that got gaffed and another post the same people are saying congratulations on a state record white perch that is now dead. But thats okay right? State record white perch are caught every day.:cool2:

Just for the official record I don't care either way. If you do it within the bounds of the law than by all means take the fish home.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

yep. ive argued that too. and oh my dont kill a catfish but look at this big buck i shot for the antlers and gave the meat away. thats why i get tired of the arguing. its each individules way or its wrong.

after a while i just get rid of some over it.:roll_eyes:

i understand conservation and teaching some to limit or not over harvest. but to post a mad post everytime a fish was eaten. thats a load of crap and does nothing but heat a fire under the thread. p.e.t.a. doesnt like cpr guys eating beef either. but when ya mention p.e.t.a. everyone goes nuts. same deal. sure ya have a passion for catfishing. but fighting over dead fish is plumb dumb.

HERES MY WAY. i eat animals. little big furry slimy scaley. as i said before. when i have enough to know i can eat fish anytime in the winter i want then i catch and release. but untill then they go to the grease. all the preaching in the world will never change me in my ways. oh. and i cpred a bunch of mushrooms this year. we cant go destroying them:smile2: