A solution to those junky umbrella net frames

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Shad Man, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I was setting around today trying to find something to do and since my lower unit is out of my boat fishing was out of the question. So I started organizing my fishing stuff. I was about to throw away an old umbrella net that was broken when I got an idea. I had broken this net like so many others while hauling up fish. The clap where the four frame wires connects always bends and if your lucky you might not lose the whole net. I have tried using washers and other things to reinforce the clamp but it always seems to bend. If you have ever used an umbrella net and hauled up a fish from a spillway you know exactly what I'm talking about. I came up with a solution to those junky umbrella net frames. I had an old bike laying around so I took the tire off of it and cut the spokes out. Then I took the tire off and zip tied the old umbrella net to it. Now all I have to do is find some good strong thin rope to tie onto the frame and attach a main line and I'm done. Dillon spillway here I come. No more stealing my umbrella nets when I get a catfish. I have included some pictures so people like me can visualize what I did.

Attached Files:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't own an umbrella net, I just throw a cast net over the spillway fence like some others. But, have seen those getting shad that way. I have to say, you have a pretty darn good idea! I think this is Library material! Thanks again, and reps! bro..... rollo

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Justin thanks for sharing a good idea.Appreciated.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    good job i agree with rollo this needs to be in the library pm. Paul and give him the link to this post and ask him to submit it for you he will take care of it keep up the good work

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    that is pretty sweet.......beats the heck out of climbing down the rocks.....

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I sent it to Whistler (Bryan) already!:wink: rollo

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Rollo's on the ball lol

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Are you using it to pick up a fish off the spillway you have caught or using it to catch bait or both?

9. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Both but it really comes in handy for getting the fish you catch up the wall.

10. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    What is the library Rollo?

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you go to the main forum. There is a Catfish Publication section where good or exceptional writeups are saved to "help members" with different things mostly with fishing, but alittle bit of everything. Alot of the articles are innovative ideas like yours. In depth, detailed, and delivered to help others etc. Some are simply good outdoor articles on past experiences fishing or hunting. Check it out bro, there is alot of good stuff their from the members across the board. You will have to buy a star though to access it. Forgot to tell ya that one! LOL.....rollo

12. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks Rollo, I guess I better give Paul some money.

13. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    This is the kind of dip net that I use down at the Cumberland City Steam Plant in Tennessee. It can be used for catching the shad running back and forth along the wall and for pulling up fish caught.

Attached Files:

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Rollo i think i seen a post last week where Paul had open the library back up for non star members as well

15. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thats a nice one. Did you make it or buy it?

16. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Back when I was a kid in England, we used to go to the local dump and look for old bicycles. We'd strip the wheel rims and brake cables from them to make net frames. A trip to the local greengrocer would get us a net sack that the carrots came in and a trip to the local hardware store to get a long length of rope and some cable d-clamps. The brake cable was used as the connecting wires from the frame to the rope. The sack was split open and lashed to the frame. An old sock was tied under the end of the rope to hold baitfish in. We would lower it all down off the harbor wall, let it soak for a while and then pull up a net full of shrimp and prawns. We kept the bait in the sock because the crabs would eat it all otherwise. They sell ready made ones these days, but they never last as long as a dumb bike net.

17. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    So I guess I ain't the first one to come up with this. Great minds think alike.

18. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well not much is a brand new idea these days. But I hadn't thought about them in years so I thank you for that.:big_smile: