Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to the site i have found this forum to be great. the few questions that i have posted have been answered by some great people and have helped me out. I have one more question i am hoping someone can answer. I have been reading about many of you using soap as bait. I am really hoping this is not a stupid question but here goes:
I bought some ivory soap but was looking to "melt" it down, pour into some ice cube trays, adding some "additives" to each cube. My question is how do i melt it down? Do I put it into a pot turn it on low and just keep watch on it. Can i put some in the microwave and "melt" it down. Again I am sorry if this is a stupid question I am looking to expand my "bait" for cats and want to try as many different things as i can. Thanks! Erik

·
Registered
128 Posts
I tried to melt some Zote soap in a glass jar sitting in boiling water and the water just boiled and boiled and the soap just set there. Never did melt. So I decided to microwave it. It just fuzzed up and expanded and turned into nothing. So....I guess what I am saying is I don't know how to melt soap. I had the same idea. Melt it, add some of my own " stuff " and put it in ice trays. So if you find out how to melt soap, please post it.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
YES IVORY SOAP IS AWSOME BAIT

we also used a cheese grater to cut the soap into little thumb nail sized cubes never tried it on rod and reel but flat out slayed the blue cats on it will set lines and even nailed a 17 lb flatty on it .

we used treble hooks on our trotlines with the soap 1 piece on 1 barb of the treble

its cheap ,, not messy and wonderfull to work with !!!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
This would be wonderful. Gettin messy isnt bad, but if you dont have too, you can still eat snacks while waitin for fishies. Keeping clean would be amazing during fishing....because i would go on the way to work! LOL

I was thinking about buying a box of trebles and rigging them up with about 18 inches lead and put a swivel on the end. then on the pole keep the swivel and weight on it. Put the hooks with the line and treable inthe ice cube tray and freeze them with the hook in it so it wont fall of. So its bound to the hook with the points peeking out.....

we just have to find out how to make the soap liquid....i bet in an iron skillet, on high heat with a tad water and something to mash it up might do.....then pour it quickly into the tray?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I am currently testing some that I made from scratch. Old recipie from G-pa. I am changing it up a bit and adding some flavorings but, I am still working to get the consistency correct. The first batch was too hard, second batch looks great and goes on a hook easy and stays on even in heavy river current. I have not caught a fish on it (or anything else lol) yet but I will have some updates soon!

·
Registered
65 Posts
If I can address this issue from a different point... Why bother? I did this many years ago by grating the soap and melting it at that point and adding some blood but honestly it was more trouble than productive. I didn't catch any more fish with this monumental waste of time. If you want to do it to say you did it, go for it. It's better to buy a good bait and save yourself some time. Of course that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.