A Skipjack Outing

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by turtle1173, Sep 28, 2007.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Last Thursday after Kindergarten, I took my 5 year old out to catch a few skipjack. We had a fun time and caught around 17 in an hour and a half. Evan was excited because he got to bring one in (on my pole). However, he had one on that got off at the boat (on his pole) which he was disappointed about.

We decided to go out yesterday after school as well. The water is a couple feet lower and my skip spot is down to more of a "trickle" than a good water fall. Anyway, we only caught 6. But Evan caught the first skip and he also caught one that was real nice for around here. It measured 13 1/2". Both of these he caught all by himself. I was such a proud dad!!

Something else that was noteworthy. I cast my Sabiki rig right at the base of a rock where the water was cascading through. It got pounded and line started peeling off my little spinning reel. After a couple minutes I was excited to see that it wasn't a gar, white bass or drum but rather a nice 5 lb Channel cat. :big_smile:

Definitely a couple of fun hours with my son.

Attached Files:

2. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    What is a sabiki rig?

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Nothin like the smile on a kids face when they catch their first fish. Every hour they are fishin they are not hangin around a bunch of idiots that will help them get into trouble

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    pappy it's this little rig, look at the picture,

It's basically like a lure that imitates small bait fish, those that skips and other fish enjoy feasting on!

Attached Files:

5. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Way to go shane! Thats a great pic of him (hes all smiles)!

6. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Excellent...way to get 'em started off young...:wink:

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That looks like fun! I bet you have a catfisherman for life:big_smile:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great work Shane. Thanks for sharing the story and the photos. I'm sure that bait is nicely frozen and awaiting action :wink:

9. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    okay Shane now lets see what near 50# fishes mouth you drop them into today.

10. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Roger, I missed out on a "near 50" on Saturday. I did get a 15 lb Flatty though and that made up for it a little... well sorta :roll_eyes:

Now Cuz, don't you see my logic of taking my son out on a *Thursday* evening?? That just means fresh bait for Saturday!! LOL

My son might have plans again for this Thursday :big_smile: