A silly question

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MrFlathead, May 15, 2009.

1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    I got one for you guys.... It may sound a little silly but I am asking if catfish jump and flop around on the surface in the evening. The reason I am asking is I go to the place and see all kinds of carp jumping and sometimes they look a little like cats BUT there are some that I swear are cats and they are rather large. I know it may be a silly question but it is driving me crazy, trust me I can tell the difference in a carp and a catfish except for this one little case.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have seen many large catfish "roll" on the surface at night.....or crash around in the shallows at night near the bank!:wink:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with John on this. In shallow water they will sometimes expose themselves chasing a shallow bait fish.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah and I've even had them slam a fly on the top like a bass..I've had several come flying out of the water on topwater rigs too..

5. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Yes Catfish do feed on the surfice . I see this a hole lots on the Red River . Catfish feed where the bait fish is .

6. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Not a silly question at all, i think i see the same thing :smile2: I've actually asked in chat but still have yet to get a definative answer, some say yes and some say no. I'd like an answer too. I swear at night i hear em on the river and it sounds like a grown man belly flopping into the water and i can usually just barely catch the fish out of the corner of my eye. Good questions brother. :cool2:

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yes Catfish come to the surface and feed,,But what you are seeing and hearing are the cats coming up and flipping on the surface as they gather a gulp of air for their bladder..Seen it done a thousand times, after they gulp some air they go back down to the depth they were at and release some of the air at that depth to stabalize themselfs at that depth.

Alot of people burp,big cats after they are caught in deep water in fear of them dying,,They won't die, But it will take them alot longer to get to where they were..:wink:

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I asked the same thing last season. I am positive it's a yes now. My buddy hooked a 3 pd flat on a small bluegill in an irrigation canal here in Blythe by following the splash. He just kept recasting to where ever the fish was jumping. I told him it wasn't a flathead... He didn't listen...... boy did I look dumb.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    channels and blues alot, zack, not many flatheads, unless there shallow

10. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Ive seen blues ,channels and flatheads come to the surface, most of the time its right at dawn and dusk ,one time I had a flathead around 5lbs come right up to the surface when I was crappie fishing with a light at night.Ive also found waterbugs in the stomachs of channels when skinning them.The cats will come up just like other predator fish and feed on the surface .Anyone who has ever fed Cats in a pond has seen this same thing.
    :wink:Billy

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Definitely they do.I,m in PA,Pittsburgh 3 rivers area.I,m always seeing them come up and roll in the evening.Alot of times there right out in front of me.Only dumb question is the one you don,t ask.:big_smile:

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've recently been fishing a lake I haven't fished a lot, and I see a BIG fish rolling, slowly , I can see his back and tail,, and,,, It sure looks like a big old flathead to me,,
    It is going fairly slow, and looke like it may grab something on the top, and then just arcs back under the water.. no big splash, just a slow roll.
    ALL around me,,,,:embarassed:

Also,,, There's some REALLY DUMB questions ,,, but,, your wasn't one of them...:wink:

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Your right !:wink:

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    zack they dont jump like a chanel they roll and sometimes splash with there tail u can tale

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You will see catfish roll on the surface a lot, But i've never seen one come all the way out of the water. But we do see spoonbills that come all the way out of the water, been seeing them a lot in September the last few years but don't have a clue why they do it.

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    your hearing channels, big ones and blues, not flats