A seven day vote! starts 11/21/2006

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by THE CATFISH HUNTER, Nov 21, 2006.

1. THE CATFISH HUNTER

THE CATFISH HUNTER New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    would you choose; river catfishing -vs- lake catfishing and your reason why.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Lake, I suppose. I have never fished the local river much, as it seems, when I want to go, they are always generating. Mostly trout in the local river, not catfish.

Take care.
    Cheryl

3. THE CATFISH HUNTER

State:
    Tennessee
    i'd like to try the river myself. my buddy and i just need a guide to show us where to go and what to do, as well as where in the world to get skip-jack.

4. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    River.

Much easier to find fish.

The sheer surface acrage of the local lake intimidates me verses the river that is a few hundred yards wide. Lake is 2 miles wide in my area.

That's my story for now, and I am sticking to it.

Where are you located?

5. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i would have to say river fishing because i have better luck on the river than on a lake

6. THE CATFISH HUNTER

State:
    Tennessee
  7. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I was raised fishing mostly rivers, creek channels. But spent the past 10 - 15 years fishing mostly lakes. In most cases, this just comes down to what is easily available or just personal preference from what someone is used to fishing. Personally, can't say either is easier or harder. Alot of this is not so much a generic river vs. a generic lake but WHICH river vs. WHICH lake. In other words, if given the choice, I'd fish the one that gives me the better chance to catch cats. Not all rivers or lakes are created equal.
    Rivers can have some serious current; windy lakes can have waves 4 to 5 feet tall (white caping). I have been disappointed as well have caught a bunch of fish on both. On rivers, inside/outside bends, deep holes, wash outs, current breaks, eddy's, etc tend to be the fish attractors. On lakes, structures, main humps, under water creek channels, standing timber, log jams, flats, etc. tend to hold fish. With today's electronics, is either more difficult or easy to locate?
    On average, does a lake have more surface water per square mile than a river? Yep. The biologist wll also say at any given moment, if you took a still photo under water, per square mile the lake could have more fish in it. So does a lake have more surface water therefore making them harder to find? Or does the lake have more locations that hold fish? More spots to catch fish? A river tends to get alot of fish "just swimming through", a lake tends to be more static in fish population. IMO, if they have a good supply of cat's, both are worthy of having a hook dropped in it.

8. THE CATFISH HUNTER

State:
    Tennessee
    fish brew, that was a very good reply! you said things that i had never thought of..... good food for thought! thanks! Randall

9. THE CATFISH HUNTER

State:
    Tennessee
    clovis, i am in middle tennessee what is your 20?

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have to go with river..only because i have more and better access to river fishin than lake fishin, currently. In other places that i have lived i fished in lakes 90% of the time as lakes were more prevalent.

Basically i just like to fish! :cool2:

cyas
    rc

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have fished both and will continue to do so but in the end I think I have to stick to the lake, as long as there are fish in it.

12. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    id have to say river becouse i live so close im about 10 min. from iti have fished lakes in the past with no luck to much water for me to look at an find fish in the lake

13. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    as of right now I mostly fish a couple different lakes but I would like to get into some river fishing I'd like to try and fish for some blues on the ohio and the mississipi the miss is a little closer but the ohio seems to realy crank out some hogs anybody interested in showing me and another boc brother some spots on either shoot me a pm then again I could just pay a guide but I'd rather go with one of you brothers

14. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Grew up fishing the Pee Dee River,still prefer the river to any lake.When we go to Santee we usually end up fishing in the rivers to catch fish.

15. THE CATFISH HUNTER

State:
    Tennessee
  16. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I guess because I live close to a good one(Mississippi) I have to say river myself. I also like the TN when they have some current but once they turn it into a lake it usually bites for me anyway. We have caught a few on Pickwick and KY lakes but too much water for me to find them.

17. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good question... makes you think. For me there are serious pros and cons to both.
    But forced to vote, I would have to vote for LAKE.
    It is simply easier to fish since you don't have to deal with the current. Also more dependable, around here anyway. Our river fishing (current flow) is dictated by TVA's hydro generation schedules. They can give you too much water, or not enough, when you least expect it. So day-in, day-out lake fishing is more consistent and overall we catch more BIG fish up on the lake.
    But the river is good for BIG numbers and BIG fish providied you catch the right conditions at the right time of year.

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    River fishing for me

19. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I prefer river over lake. I think the structure the fish hang around and the bait fish are easier to find.

20. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i prefer the river but the only lake within 50 miles is jericho lake and its not much of a catfish lake more crappie and bass