A serious Question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bigun, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Being a 67 yr old Texas Redneck I have a serious social problem that I need help with. A friend’s wife refuses to bait a hook. For years now, when I encountered someone that wanted to do outdoors type activities and didn’t want to get their hands dirty that was the end of that relationship! Having been a gundog trainer I was very care full to avoid gun shyness when training young dogs. I just could not abide a gun-shy hunting dog. So how do I deal with this problem? Because of several related friendships I can’t just walk away from this one. How would you deal with this problem?

2. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    That is hard to deal with. I am like you if you wana fish you should go all they way but some people just cant stand the baiting part. Jmo if you like spending time with the person then i wouldnt think it would be to much of a problem. I have fished with people that didnt like to bait the hook and just baited it anyway because i still had a great time fishing with them. Hope this helps

3. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Give her a pair of rubber gloves. she rinses them off in the water and they're ready to go the next time. Otherwise bait her hook. :lol:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I hear ya Byron. Tough call. Just let her other half bait her hook.

5. tomturkey

tomturkey New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just bait her hook, if you enjoy/value the friendship and it sounds like you do. Just do it. Rubber gloves are hard to get on and off if your hands get wet. I had to change the kids sh_tty diapers cause my wife would gag and puke. She finally got over it. But until she did, I just did it. gobble

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I don't see the problem. Look at it this way, you or your friend either bait her hook, or you fish alone. Which would you rather have?

On vacation last year, my girlfriend was gracious enough to go fishing with me and sit out in that hot sun all day even though she doesn't care too much for fishing. I was honored to bait her hook and remove any fish she caught in exchange for her company and conversation.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have a friend like that and I just bait her hook and throw it out for her. The look on her face when she catches a fish is priceless. So I will keep doing it because I get more enjoyment out of watching her catch a fish than catching them myself.

8. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I let my friends take care of their wives themselfs. If they choose to fish with me that is fine, but I dont lift a finger to do stuff like that. Sooner or later he will make her bait the hook herself or they will simply quit going or he will continue to bait her hook, either way you wont lose a friend out of it that way.

9. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Personally I don't mind helping anyone I fish with. I have 4 kids and I guess I'm used to helping them. All of them but my youngest daughter bait their own hooks now and take their own fish off as well as my wife. If you don't like baiting her hook, explain to her that you would like her to learn to bait her own hook and talk her through how your doing it and the reason why you put whichever bait on the way that you are. After walking her through it a few times have her do it with gloves or without. If she still refuses to do it, its going to be a judgement call that you have to make for yourself.

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Byron,
    The way I see it, she is not going fishing with you, she is going fishing with him. He is the one going fishing with you. She is his responsibility and unless you choose to make her problem your responsibility then your friend can take care of whatever problems she might have while out fishing.
    Now, if you invite her along without him (she may be better company than he is) then you know you will have be doing all the baiting...W

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Byron, first of all, answer this question; where did the term "cold as a well diggers ass" come from? :lol:

Now to your question. Be a nice guy and help her out. I learned with my mom that changing the mind of a 67 year-old is near impossible. Just play fishing guide for the day and be the hero.