A serious question for Grandpa's

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Slatebar, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Momma and I are going to have some changes made on our will within the next couple weeks, and I have a question for the other grand pappys here. How many of you have listed your hunting /fishing/boating eqpt in your wills. Have any of you named a minor grand child/great-grandchild for a firearm/boat/ATV ? Any safe guards added to assure that the child recieves what you wish? I will be having our attorney take care of this but just asking here hoping to get some pointers to see if I am in the right ball park with my thinking.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    In our will I have a list of guns, rods, reels, and other equipment that are to go to a certain person. The guns are identified by serial number, rods by design, reels by a number I put on them. All the other tackle and equipment is to go by number drawing. After the drawing they can trade if they want. Any body that makes a complaint get nothing. That way my wife doesn't have to worry.

3. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I haven't as of yet, but you guys have got me to thinking so I better get busy. Thanks.

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rods, reels, boat, and little truck taken care of. Shotguns and rifles earmarked for grands, but only upon completion of hunter safety classes. No handguns to anyone, to be sold with proceeds going to wife. Stay safe and we really can't afford to die, can we???:smile2::smile2::wink:

5. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    We have seen so many bad things happen in our family over the generations that I hate to think about all the hate and discontent that goes on with some people. My grandmother got cleaned out lock stock and barrel before she was even dead. She recovered and came home from the hospital to an empty house. Her attorney recovered EVERYTHING in short order and grandma changed her will to give everything to the Church she attended. I'm not known as a very religous type of person, but I kinda think Grandma had the best idea and I'm considering following her better judgement.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I left all my fishing equipment , boats , truck , guns , hunting equipment and bows to my oldest grandson who just turned 10 years old . He eats sleeps and breathes hunting and fishing . He has won 5 catfishing tournaments so far and has caught a 8.8 pound bass that is mounted , a 9 point big buck which is mouted and many does which one of them is mounted...lol
    My kids dont fish or hunt , just my son in law and oldest grandson . Everything I have the son in law has the same so he dont need it , plus my oldest grandson is his son .

7. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    sounds like all of yall have some good plans....i guess i better get to thinkin about it....:embarassed:

8. boatstall

boatstall New Member

State:
    North Louisiana
    Grandchildren in wills are no problem if they are of legal age. Trying to assure that underage children will actually retain their inheritance is the problem area. Their parents or guardians have the discretionary capacity to lose, neglect, sell (ie. hard times), pawn, lose in divorce, etc. etc..

How do I make sure that my 5 year old grandson actually has my wishes retained for him until he is old enough to appreciate and make his own decisions?????

9. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Bingo,,,thanks boatstall. I think that is my main concerns.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Man you guys have me thinking,I don't even have a will.:crazy:

11. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Richard , If only to save your wife a lot of problems later you really should get one made up. If it only names surviving spouse for everything it will save her or yourself (if she goes first) lots and lots of problems later. Most lawyers really don't charge that much . Ours is about 12-15 years old and outdated but I think it was under a hundred bucks.

12. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Appoint someone to hold the items until the child is old enough to have it. I am lucky and all of mine are old enough to have what I want them to have.

13. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    YOU MUST HAVE A WILL. IF NOT IT CAN STILL TAKE A YEAR OR MORE JUST SO YOUR WIFE GETS WHAT SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO AS SOLE SURVIOR. YOU CAN DO WILLS ON THE COPUTER AND THEN HAVE IT NOTEORIZED, IT WILL BE LEGAL.

MY PROBLEM IS THERE IS NO FAMLIY LEFT TO WII IT TO.
    GUESS I'LL HAVE TO FIND A GOOD CHARITY TO LEVE IT ALL TO .

??????:embarassed::crazy::sad2:

14. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Uncle Rodger. :big_smile_2:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  15. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I am not wealthy by no means and I do not have a great gun collection.
    But I have accumulated some nice guns through the years. Some were
    left to me by my Father and Grandfather. They have more centimental
    value than monetary value and then I have my personal guns that I use.
    I have spent many hours in a tree stand trying to think how to divide my
    guns between my two sons. Who would like what? How to keep it fair to
    both. What I have decided is to let my sons choose for themselves. To
    have them flip a coin and the winner gets first choice and alternate picks
    from there and the looser of the coin toss gets the odd gun if their is not
    an equal number.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We don't have a will but do have a family revolvable trust. Everything we own is in the trust. On wife or my death it immediately becomes an irrevocable trust. After the death of both us the trust will provide our children/grandchildren a monthly amount until the trust is depleted. The trust specifics that our children can have anything in our home. Guess they can fight over who gets what. :wink: