A sad day in the hollow

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smokey, Dec 24, 2006.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    16 years ago my wife and I moved from Michigan to the hills of Mid Tennessee. We bought 55 ac at the end of a dead end road,the guy next door was 1/2 mile from our door.His brother lived next to him and his sister lived in the next house.Fin, the guy next door was a thin man, ( maybe145 lbs) and about 6 ft. tall. We would see him working in his garden with his bibs on and no shirt taking down the weeds with a cyckle (sp). He looked like father time.As the years passed we became good friends I would sitin his years under a big tree drinking Muskadine wine and he would just sit there with a big grin and tell stories about making shine and how the whole hollow would smell of burnt hickery and shine.As the years went on Fin couldnt walk the woods any more but that diidnt stop him, he went and bought a 4 wheeler.you could hear him at dawn shooting turkeys with his 22 mag as they nested.He did things his own way. (the old way). Well today the 4 wheeler runs no more.Fin passed last night at 88. His grave will be "up by the old Buick Looking over the hollow." Im going to miss Fin but I have met a piece of Lewis county history. smokey

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Joe Sorry to hear about Your Good Friend Fin Passing on.You were a Lucky Man for having know Him.My Father always told Me if when your time on this old earth is through(If you can count the number of True Friends on the fingers of one hand not counting your thumb,You were a Rich Man) I would say you have a fue sheckles in your pocket.God Bless. J.D.
    :sad_2a:

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good friends always leave too soon...:sad2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Be as friendly to the janitor as you are to the chairman of the board.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Many condolences to ya from NW Missouri:sad2:

5. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Condolences on your loss, Joe. Sounds like Fin was a real part of the fabric of life there and I know you will all miss him so much. May your hearts be lifted up still with joyful memories this Christmas. God bless you.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joe sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, Fin. The times you talked about reminded me of my grandfather and his way of life. Yes that was the good ole times. I hope you will continue to cherrish them forever. God Bless

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sorry to hear the loss of a true friend.Like J D said if you can count your ture friends on one hand your a lucky person. Sounds like you just lost one of those. He may be gone physcially .but not in memory.Sounds like he gave you enough to last you a life time.
    Keep his memery alive.Merry Christmas to you and yours and will say
    aPrayer for you and family at this time in yourlife.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy Fin. Sounds like good people. I've got the recepie for some muscadine wine if you ever wanna brew some in Fin's honor. PM me if you want it if you don't already have it.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Joe, Sorry to hear about your friend .
    Reminds me of a Lynyd Skynyrd song, "Curtis Loew".

Sounds like he lived a good life.

10. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Smokey,
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
    Keep his memory alive in your heart and he will always be with you.
    John

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    sorry to hear about your freind joe

12. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Its great friends like you that help those who we have lost live on in our memories. Thanks for sharing a good man's story.

13. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Sorry to hear of your loss Smokey.

14. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Smokey,

Thats heartwrenching. I know all too well how you feel. The good ones always go too soon. Always alot sooner than we want them too. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

15. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Smokey, I'm so sorry for your loss. We are blessed to have those memories of good friends and family in our heart.
    Blessings to you my friend.