A rotten weekend

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jolie, Dec 19, 2008.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Do you guys ever go fishing knowing that the conditions are poor (lakes are froze over with skim ice and the river is a raging 13000 from the gates) and still, you know you're going to go anyway:tounge_out::eek:oooh:

sighh...I can only hope that water levels fall fast.

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sometimes...cant resist urge and just go in bad weather...I like your Avatar...:haha:

3. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    The bug is a nasty, nasty creature Jason.

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    there is never a bad time to fish and you might learn something in the process.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Sometimes fishing in adverse conditions will produce.

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    some of the coldest windiest days gave up the best fish for me good call Tan

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    we'll I'm hoping but I have 130 some trips this year, and most of them saying that at this high river water I will catch little to nothing.

but again I do have 130 trips this year.

i'm not a weekend warrior; and you don't always now when the next lesson is gonna come. I'll try something different at the river....

I just have lingering feelings like I wish more choices. if the trout streams aren't skyhigh -- I might try them.

and I don't know whats going to happen within the next two days. There's been SO much change in the kinzua discharge these last few weeks:eek:oooh:

also my reel came in (it was on back order)... and not giving it a good workout would be a shame!

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jason - Try to find a backwater spot out of the current. I have a spot on the lower Allegheny that only produces when the water is real high. The fish move in there to get out of the current. No such thing as wasted time on the water! You can always build a fire and sip a cold one! :cool2:

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Well I tried something new and I got a different problem than I was:tounge_out:
    (and predictably, I got skunked:sad2:

Knowing the water levels are near flood stage 13,800 cfs on the river; I headed to some stockie trout water. my favorite trout stream was not what I expected! I had thought it might be in the throes of high water. it was not. rather it was badly iced, with a shelf of ice on every slack water eddy (espacially the deeper spots I would think hold winter trout).

the ice was incoveniant but not an entire loss. one interesting problem was that the water left on my line, tended to turn to ice in the cold morning air. after a little bit of this, I was nearly fly fishing with a big heavy 'ice' fishing line and my little "trout magnet" jig.

I tried one last trick, reasoning that the trout stream must have been close to freezing, I figured that upper native trout streams might be considerably warmer (spring fed)... I traveled up my favorite one of those and there definitely was less ice. No fish though.

In short, I give it my best! while I'm sure that the scott's advice was good; after three consecutive high water skunked trips I just couldn't bear another one. and at least I guessed different.:tounge_out:

Have any of you guys ever had much luck with winter trout?

cruising on the internet people keep saying that the trout are shallow, which doesn't make sense to me- wouldn't trout in very cold water (just above freezing), seek the warmest and slackest water possible (which would be the bottom of some deep hole). at any rate, if we hit some thawing midwinter weather, I might yet try harder to figure out trout in the lower reaches of these nearby stockie streams. (at least until the season ends, which I believe is Feb 28).

While another (and fourth) strait skunking isn't very good; what I saw bodes very good for the icefishermen. The water is definitely building ice today (and even the stockie stream) had blobs of floating ice. Tonight and tommarrow are spose to be some of the coldest days up here to date. the little ponds and smaller lakes are sure to have recovered from recent rain be safe in a few days.

solid ice means more options when the river looks discouraging.

if the trend holds; the winter I intend to do a lot more icefishing than I've ever done in the past. Thanks for all the advice. perhaps we can sympathize with my plight; I'm admittedly obsessed and my wife thinks I'm entirely crazy:tounge_out::tounge_out: for insisting to fish when I think I'm unlikely to catch anything under these water conditions.

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jason - Keep me posted on the ice conditions at Chapman Dam! Soon as I hear you say there is safe ice I'm heading north! :big_smile: Hope you can join me and we will give them Brook Trout a work out! :cool2: Chapman Dam is a real nice place to ice fish, I havn't made it up there in a few years and look forward to having a go at it this winter! :big_smile:

11. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hey Jason let's look at it this way Atleast your out fishin, it's not alway's about catchin it's just being there. :cool2: With the weather the way it is right now I dont see myself getting out anytime soon. I think my local pond has ice on it but there's about 10" of snow on top,:sad2: I cant see myself pulling my sled through that much snow with out haveing a hart attack (LOL):crazy: So I guess I'll sit here and wate for the next snow to come (tomorrow) and then I can get my snow blower out agen.:angry:

I did get out last Thur. for a little Walleye fishin at my catfish hole, and I managed one for the frying pan about 17" just the right size.:big_smile: