A rose by any other name needs... - Sinker clarification

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by AwShucks, Mar 18, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    to be re-named. I'm constantly confused by various brothers user of the term "no snag" sinker and "no roll" sinker. They way they are used in various threads a person would believe they are the same sinker. They are not. If these attachments come through, attachment 1 is a no-snag sinker, attachment 2 is a no-roll sinker and attachment #3 is a claw sinker (used in tailwaters at dams).

Attached Files:

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good post, now people who didnt know will know. It seems common to some but good info for the beginners or people who have never catfished.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota

Great points Brother.
    I can honestly say that I have not seen the claw sinkers before.
    I would really appreciate any brothers that could elaborate on more detailed uses for these particular sinkers.

4. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    great info. ive catfished for 25 years and havent used anything but egg sinkers those no rolls look pretty impressive. when ive heard them mentioned on here i didnt know the line went through the sinker like it does on the egg sinker.

5. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Once you use a no-roll in a good current, you'll never wanna use an egg sinker in current again.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Larry, in response to your question about the claw sinker, very little can be said. It has from 4 to 6 wires molded into the sinker. In the tackle box (back pack, etc) the wires are straight. When used to fish, the wires are bent at an appx 90 degree angle to the body. These sinkers are used for very swift waters as tail races at dams. The wire will snag on rocks or other obstructions, plus give the sinker a higher profile so they won't wash under as many rocks. When you retrieve your line, the wires will straighten out allowing your tackle to be retrieved. Of course they will still hang up, like if washed under a boulder the size of a small car and when retrieved they pull up into a crack. But, what sinker are you not going to loose in that situation. Some fishermen don't like them due to over a period of time, the flexing of the wires will cause them to break. When that happens, you can either cut the other wires off and use it as a regular sinker, or just throw it back into your lead pile to be melted and cast as another sinker. There is definetley a need in any catfisherman's tackle box for these sinkers.

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    AwShucks,
    thanks for the follow up clarification on the claw sinkers.
    I will have to set upon a quest to see if I can find them, Ive never seen them in any of the sporting goods stores and Bait shops in MN. I couldnt find them in the Catfish Connection catalog.
    IF anyone reading this thread has a line on where to purchase them from. I'm open to a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    Larry

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Do a search on eBay using the following;
    claw sinkers

Will

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Lawrence. Alot of the boys here on the shore use em when surf fishin.

Some of us older farts have also heard them refered to as "SPUTNIK" sinkers. LOL!

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just wanted to refresh the thread as I have seen sinker questions lately.

11. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey AwShucks.
    Thanks for introducing me to Clawsinkers, I recieved them on Fri and took them to the Lock and Dam #1 on the Mississippi on Sat they worked Dynamite!!!

I hadn't ever heard about Clawsinkers until AwShucks started this post. If your fishing fast water with lots of Rip Rap and rock. I would strongly recommend including a claw sinker in your rig set up. I would have to say that my line did not seriously snag up as often as they would with the other types of wieghts.
    2 thumbs up from Me :)
    thanks

12. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Wanted to refresh this post.
    Hey Awshucks Thanks again.

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Where can one find that claw sinker mold? Those look as if they would work great below a dam!

14. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio