A Rod Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Damian_Storm, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i was at the boat show a week or so ago and i was looking at these rods that were stand up rods for the ocean..i think they were anyway..the one i was looking at had perfect action i was looking for..only about 6' long a little bit of flex the first 2 feet and the rest was as stiff as a light pole..the thing that threw me off was it had the roller guides..the last 2 guides at the tip was the normal type of guides..has anyone ever tried one of these out? i have never messed with roller guides an have no clue the effect on casting....

2. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I fished with a charter on lake Michigan last year and the guide had one of these rods with leadcore line on it. I think that they are primarily used in trolling with levelwinds with different lines that might chew up regular guides. I know that alot of the braided lines out there can really chew up some guides in just a little time. Hope this helps some!!

3. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    all i was gonna do with this one was load it up with 80lb braid , a huge gill or sucker and throw it right up to the nastiest looking log jams out there and just horse out the big ones before they bolt down in there and get wrappped up...

4. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Those rods are definatly made for horesing em in. I dont think that the guides would have much effect on your casting. Your prolly not gonna be launch it but thats cause its a six footer. But as far as horseing in the fish i seriously your not gonna have ne problems with that.

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Roller guides are use for trolling and will hold up to any line out there. A roller tip will not have any effect on casting at all but the stripper guide are the roller guide with the 2 rollers will. It will cut your casting distance by at least 1/3 if not more. A roller tip is the best tip for the braded lines you will ever get because the wheel will turn with the line if you keep it clean and free moving but they are expensive.

6. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    sounds like it might serve my purpose then..thanks for the feedback everyone....

7. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Greetings Members,
    I found a guy north of Spencer who makes incredible 5'8" to 6' heavy action rods. There is a bait shop about 1.4 miles north of Spencer (on231)who sells them. In the $75-$95 range. He makes spinning as well as casting models. These will be great for pullng those flatties from the brush.

8. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Is that Phils Place? They have a killer ******* behind their shop.

9. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    no its not that place these guys are about 2-3 miles south they used to run the place you spoke of.