A Rod Holder Similar to the Old Fish Popper

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by festus, Jan 29, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

Does anyone remember the Fish Popper? It used to be heavily advertised on TV. I found something similar. Click here if you want to see about it: http://www.lightnin-strike.com/

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I still have an original fish popper. Me and my Brother both had one. He broke his shortly after we got them. I still use mine every now and then. I let a buddy use mine one time. He tried to grab the rod before it set the hook. I yelled for him to stop as it set the hook. Luckily the catfish was decent size, because it stopped the rod about two inches from his face. That would have hurt. Don't stand behind these kind of rod holders. You might get a rude awakening. :laugh1:

3. festus

festus New Member

Do these things really work? It sounds like it. Would a snag or stick in moving water set off a Fish Popper?

4. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Yeah they work. You can adjust the amount of pressure that it takes to set it off. You would need a pretty heavy current to set it off with a stick. That would also depend on the size of the stick.

5. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Yes , I remember seeing the advertisements on television. If I'm not mistaken , it was in the late 80's to early 90's. I wanted to get one , but didn't fish enough at the time to warrant the cost , not to mention the fact I was about 10/11 years of age. Do they still sell them?

6. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  7. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    My Fish Popper. Man this thing is old.:smile1:

Attached Files:

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Haven't seen one of those in awhile. You got an antique there!!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never seen are used one. I do have a question. Would that work with a circle hook?

10. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    It might. Even though it snaps back pretty fast, the rod loads up good at first if you set the tension on it tight. Otherwise it would probably just snatch it out of the fishes mouth. Believe me, it does work. I even built one of these about 23 years ago in welding class. It didn't work too bad but it was heavy as heck. It was made out of angle and steel pipe. I had to get rid of that Beast.

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I had one of those a long time ago. LOL The first time I used it, I caught about a 12 lb carp on it. It never popped up at all. That little carp was strong enough that when he pulled it, it just went down and stayed down. LOL