A reminder Oak Hollow fishing tournament Saturday 9/20/ 08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ncfowler, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Ok boys and girls this is it, this will be the last tournament for the season, it will start back up in Feb 09, If you have not been out to the Oak Hollow fishing with us you need to come this weekend and join in. I would like to see some of the boc members here if not to fish the tournament maybe just to get to say hey to each other, as you know the last few events was a bust, I will be at the lake till 8:00 am and if it is a bust again i'll be on the water just come on over and say hey and join the drift line. I'll be on board my boat ez-drifting , I would like to thank all that has showed up in the past for there support and the BOC for there support on my first year I hope the next season will produce a better turn out, once again thanks to all who joined in and gave me there support. jeff, http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83380

2. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fished this place about a month ago with NCFowler. Very nice place to fish. We fished until noon and landed some real nice fish - all keepers! It wasn't over crowded - or a bunch of skiers or jet skis flying by. Lots of bait fish every where! Lots of nice cats in this place! You guys should give this place a try!

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Who puts this tourny on ncfowler? They have some odd rules. penlized 1lb for every minute late, disqualified if more than 5 minutes late? has 90% payback? who gets 10%? you cant carry live bait with you to tourney? if I can.... I cant catch it there the night before? just wondering because they will inspect my boat before I start. am I disqualified if I dont have my life jacket on?(that seems like a safty rule) but..Tournament shall be held regardless of weather conditions. (that not a safty rule) Any dead fish will not be weighed and penalizes 10% off live weight for each dead fish off of total weight. Including for big fish jackpot. Violation of any of the above rules may result in disqualification. No wake upon leaving marina area.

That dosent seem like a frendly fishing tournement, sounds more like my employer. I'm not putting down the lake just wondering why rules like that are there.
    ex:
    if a man pulls up to boat ramp 4 minutes late....that is on time in my book, if not he is disqulifed. He has his 3 fish limit a twenty pound catfish and 2 regretfully died. so thats 1lb for every minute 4 lbs, 10% for each dead fish thats 2 pounds each so his fish is 12lbs.... he caught a 20lbr.
    I'm not calling that anything but 20lbs and it either counts or it dont.
    that could be some of the reason there hasnt been much turnout. good luck this weekend!

4. ncfowler

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    ok the 90% pay back is only when my personal money put into the tournament. I put this on out of my pocket. the last pay out was 100%, all fish need to be released if it is dead it can't be released, the life jacket is on while under way and on during winter, and fishing in weather conditions is part of fishing, the return time is a cut off time it is up to you to be there, you can bring live bait or catch it the night before, you can't leave the marina before the tournament and catch bait that is fishing before start time. the rules are taken form several different tournaments, it is your option to fish it or not the rules stand as they are. they were made to keep it as honest, Have you looked at any of the other tournament rules?

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    sounds like almost every tournament I've ever fished in. Had to wear life jackets in one tournment but only while running so wasn't too big of a deal. As for the fish being alive, i've never heard of a dead fish being weighed at any tournament.

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    yes, Ive read the rules to NCCATS and fished the tournements, read CCC rules and plan to fish it this year and another (unmentionable) tournement with simalar rules and have fished it in the past and plan to this year.
    I have never seen anyone fuss about the finish or any cheating, I know some have and if there was alot of money on the line inspecting livewell might be good idea but if someone caught a 20lb cat and another guy caught a15lb and the 15lbr wins because of penlty or didnt have life jacket on then you going to see them hollar cheater. like you said I have my choice to fish or not, just thought the rules were a little strict and complicated. I know putting on tournement cost you out of pocket money for different things and i didnt mean to offend you most Ive seen were 100% payback unless going to a charity. I may fish Oak Hollow sometime in the future, a freind fishes there. Maybe I'll see you on the water. good luck this weekend

7. ncfowler

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    yea i had a person bring in a dead fish to be weighed in, it is the responsibility of the angler to keep the health of the fish well and alive.

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    on the life jacket my coment was that wearing a life jacket is a safty concern however fishing regaurdless of weather is not a safty concern, just wondering why somone would worry about my safty and send the boats out in bad conditions, that not odd? my bad

I have never seen a dead fish weighed either but have never seen a
    10% off live weight for each dead fish off of total weight punishment. the punishment is built in, if it's not alive it dont count. thats reason enough for me to keep them alive. still hasnt been proven that harvesting fish hurts or helps the population or size. I didnt mean stir a nest just thought it odd

9. ncfowler

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    the lake is a smaller lake, the rules were made using a crappie and bass tournament rules at the lake, I know some may be harsh, but they are in place for safety and keeping the tournament under control, I am running this by myself, and have a person doing the judging to keep me out of the politics, I will only fish it when there is not enough people to have the pot round off, and only with the permission of all the people who are in it. NO you did not stir the pot, asking questions is a good thing, Life jackets are required while under way and on all the time in winter months the winter months the water is cold and that life jacket may be the different between life and death, the weather can change at the drop of a hat, several years ago i was at a tournament when there was a hurricane at the coast, it still went on, it was my option to do it. Fishing is no just a fair weather event. the no wake at the marina item is lake restriction. These rules had to be reviewed by the lake officials and were edit by them, The weigh in time needs to be strict if not you will have people staying out and showing up whenever. There is a time to stop and go weigh in it is the responsibility of the angler to show up on time. no if's no and no butts. Jeff