A REEL!! Phlueger Question? Shimano TLD

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by baitboy, Jul 30, 2007.

1. baitboy

baitboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Went to Bass Pro this weekend in Denver and compared the Shimano TLD 30($149) to the Phlueger Contender LD 20($89). I have to say the free spool on the Shimano was smoother in the store but I don’t know if that means it will cast farther? I did read on posts that Shimano claims a 99 pound MAX DRAG. I can hold the Shimano spool with one hand and crank with the other hand on the handle and spin the drag when set on MAX! What amazed me was with the Contender LD I could not hold the spool still when set on MAX DRAG!!! I have strong hands but no way! My question is what is the max drag of the Contender LD 20?

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I don't have either of the reels you mentioned. I do have Shimno Tekota reel. It's pretty nice. It has a great drag and cast a mile. It cost alittle more then the LCD's. It's about $180.00. I think it's top end for Shimno.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If you check the post you are referring to or the Shimano site you will find that the 99 lb.max drag is claimed for Shimano's Tiagra TI130A.This reel is made to fish for 1000-2000 lb.fish such as Black Marlin and the huge Sharks.The only Shimano TLD that I find on the BP site for ($149) is the TLD 20 which is rated for 23 lbs.max drag on the Shimano on line site.You have to "Pre-program" the lever drag by putting it in "Free" and turning the "Pre-program" knob that is in the center of the reel.Check your drag with the lever.CAUTION! Move the lever back to free each time you adjust the "Pre-program knob or you can damage the reel.Go back and ask for the directions that goes with the reel and they will explain it.Also,all lever drag reels that I have ever used will normally get harder to reel if you max out the drag.They ain;t been able to get around that in the design I have read.I have the Shimano Charter Special 2000 LD.Sweet reel.33 lbs.claimed max.drag,and levelwind.These reels do not have the "casting aids" that the bait casting reels have.You will have to cast it by yourself without the built in help,just like the Penns and old time Abu Garcia's.I know nothing about any of the Pfluegers except I have the the use of 2 of the Cabela's Salt Striker SS6600X which seem to be the Pflueger Trion 66 as you see on TV Cat fishing on the Santee or Red fishing in the Gulf.The directions and schematics for the reels are "exactly" the same.So far they are great reels.Hope this may help.Best of luck.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i own a pflueger contender not a ld but the reg 30 size and man what a drag, scratch that what a reel. this reel is as smooth as my 120 dollar penn 320ld and i paid less than half that for the pflueger. i think it has the strongest drag and tied for smoothest drag out of all my reels. this thing also has the strongest cast break ive seen 10oz +bait still room to ajust. intill i break it thats the best reel ive used then it might be a different story, after taking it appart i dont see that happening. if youre getting one pflueger:wink:

5. baitboy

baitboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I called Pflueger on Monday and asked what the MAX drag was and the Tech said he would speak to Enginering and get back with me!!! Its Thurs and still no word, but if I hear from him I'll let you guys know.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am 62 and terminally ill with heart disease and some incurable forms of cancer.The hope of a future for me and a reel is not good so I don;t have to worry about it.Most need to consider it.I do not know your age but your location is inland.I would think that long time Abu Garcia parts and service would be the easiest to find followed by Penn,Shimano,Diawa,Mitchel,Shakespeare and Pflueger.I seriously doubt if I could find parts for the two new Pflueger built reels sitting in front of me right now and they are only six months old.2 to 5 years from now,dream on.Oh you can sometime luck up.I like Pfluger,but Pfluger has not been able to tell me who made their reels in the past or who will make them in the future.I have asked in the past when trying to find parts for friends.Same goes for Shakespeare.You never know who builds or built reels for Pflueger from year to year or who's name you will find on a reel built exactly like a Pflueger.I am saying this and I like their reels except for parts,or should I say the lack of.I have found Shimano to be great reels,good part supply and service "but expensive".My easy casting,cast control freshwater and light saltwater reels were Zebco spin caster or close faced.The 808 & 888's were the heavy freshwater & light saltwater of my choice.Had I lived inland as you do,I believe that I would have been a Abu Garcia man as they would have met my needs.I was raised to fish and fished Fresh or "Sweet water",Salt and Tidewater or "Brackish".The mixtures of Brass & Aluminum of the 50's to 80's corroded badly as a rule and the soft Brass gears were easily striped with big fish.Bronze was a much stronger and more durable metal at the time.As for the 6 lb.drags,they were great for the 10-14 lb.lines.Large Mouth Bass are a big Bream or Sunfish.Bass reels are built to catch the bigger Sunfish.That is why most Bass fishermen hate Bow fin.They tear up their Bass gear.Things have changed with new alloys.You see Abu Garcia reels in saltwater use now.Mainly for their ease of casting.They still do not seem to hold up like the Penns,Shimanos,Diawas,etc.or some of the higher priced reels in saltwater.Lets face it.The cheapest and most maintenance free "Store Bought" reel that I know of is a coke bottle.They come in different line capacities and are one heck of a fish catcher in the hands of a expert.Coffee cans are great too,but you have to X reinforce the inside to keep them from collapsing and they rust.Think it all through good as you got to live with it.I love my Shimano and Pfluegers,but would I buy them If I was you and fished as you will?I really don;t know as I have no experience there.Please keep us informed.We all are learning unless we lucky and already know it all.We all look,but few really learn to see.You look to have a grip on the "Checking it all out.I have been disappointed in many things that I wanted until I got them.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee