A question

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by ldw45, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Fellows, I have a question for some of you fellows who know your catfish. Last few trips up to Rend I've caught some cats that have a wide head, deep blue in color/white on belly. They are not similar to the flatheads I have seen from Carlyle that are more a dingy brown. The head is big and wide where the channel is narrow....... just wondering if some of you experts can identify them for me.... They are not yellowbellies.

2. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    sounds like male channels to me. Post a pic if you get a chance. I'm sure someone on here will know for sure.:cool2:

3. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I believe those are spawning male channels!:wink:

4. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Dean I also believe they are male spawning channels, There lips will also be bigger and more pronounced. It has been my experience that they are not very good to eat at this stage. Hoping to get together when it cools off and I'm not quite so busy. I got on the Mississippi last week but just to check out spots to fish.
    :roll_eyes:

5. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    in arkansas we call those kind of cat's bullhead blues, they put up a fight but if you want to eat one the meat is very tough and chewey, we always release these as they are not very good for anything but a god fight, most of these are caught close to the bank in rockpiles or poor condition water.

Hope this helps
    Catmando 2

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    My grandfather used to tell me the same thing. He used to catch a bunch of these in the Mississippi feeder creeks in the spring and I think the locals called them "coalboaters".

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I'd agree :big_smile:

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I hate not knowing.. so I agree with them just because. Thanks for teaching me as well! :smile2:

9. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    not for sure either Dean, but i have noticed that too comming from a pond i have been fishing this year. I have no clue.:confused2:

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    While we do have bullheads in rend lake, they are rare and ive never seen one get over a pound. id need to see it to be sure but im almost sure its a male channel.

11. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the responses. I believe the head difference is too pronounced for them to be channel, the bullhead blue makes sense but they are considerably bigger than any bullhead I ever caught. Just got a digital camera so I will post a pic of the next one.

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  13. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well the pictures prove its true in fish too, just like any other species, the female is prettier....thank god for that lol.

Jerred

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Here are a couple more pictures of a male channel catfish originally posted by DH

Attached Files:

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I should learn the difference between male and female... in fish! I got the human aspect down for the most part...

16. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes, but there are those out there that can still puzzle the best of us...Just watch Maury....:smile2:

17. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Griz,
    Thanks for the pic......... by golly that is what they are. Just did not realize there was such a pronounced difference in the male & female channels.