a question

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MrFlathead, Sep 15, 2009.

1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    Can a Flathead be taken out of a body of water that has elevated levels of chlordane, methylmercury or PCB's and be put into a clean LARGE pond like 10 acres and be eaten lets say 5 years later with no contaminants? This pond is over run with bluegills and bass so a food source is no issue at all. There are some massive channels in there to, just not enough to keep those bluegill and bass in check. Basically what I am getting at is can all that crap be flushed out of their system in a couple years or less?

2. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Zach i dont think I would try eating them.Chems can stay in the flesh a long time maybe for the life of the fish..Looks like a great reason for c.p.r.

3. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I wouldn't make a habit out of eating fish from your waters, but honestly a few will not kill you. If it brings you closer to your sport then by all means take some home and enjoy them.

4. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    I really dont plan on it I was just wondering cause me and ole slikk03 were talkin on the phone and somehow got to that question lol. He speaks better english than he types LMAO!

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i dont think the toxins will flush out either.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I think mercury stays in flesh F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Zach that is a good question. One that a biologist might have to answer. I doubt the toxins would be removed. It might depend on how toxic that fish was to start with. In this state advisories are placed on lakes with toxic problems, telling you the amounts of fish that can be eaten or not eaten. (Exp: Crab Orchard Lake).

8. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    Heres an example, I stocked a pond in 2002 that was overrun with gills and small bass with around 200 lbs of flathead with 7 fish(overkill) in the attempt to get the pond to normal levels of breeding fish. the breeders were so stunted that 8 inch bass were nesting and bluegill about 3 inches were nesting. it was pretty bad. We caught out about 150 lbs of them (real easy on a slip bobber and a small gill) to eat but they tasted so nasty (Originally from the Ohio river) that ya couldnt eat a single one without gagging. So I doubt the yuck ever leaves a fish. In my state of WV there are warnings not to eat cats, so i would say just catch them out and put them back where ya got them originally if ya can. We did leave the biggest one in there to keep what remained on an even keel. She was a 43 lb caramel beauty.

9. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I think you are correct. I don't believe you can flush out heavy metals. It's a damn shame we can't even eat fish anymore. Even stocked trout here in PA are filled with PCBs, etc.

10. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I am no expert but I have a little knowledge of PCBs. I used to work for an Electric Company and there was a lot of discussion of them being in the oil that was in a lot of our electrical equipment, transformers, reclosers, boosters and regulators. The production of pcbs was stopped back in 1977. since then the levels have been dropping. Everyone has some level of pcbs in them. Pcbs are actually a family of chemicals not just one but over 200 different ones. It has to do with a family of polychlorinate chemicals. And that covers a lot of them. We had guys that worked in tanks of the stuff up their armpits almost everyday.
    Fish are a high risk food. (But that doesn't stop me from eating it every chance I get). The PCBs tend to settle in the fatty parts of the fish and in the skin. Since I don't eat the fat or the skn I don't worry about it much. It is best if you bbq your fish or grill it, or bake it, that way the fat drips out and you are left with a leaner and healthier piece if meat. They say that frying, my favorite, is the worse way to eat it. It seals in any contaminates that are present.
    To my knowledge it takes a long long time for the levels to drop once it is in you, or in this case the fish. [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]Catfish, our fish, tends to be a scrounger. Unfortunately, Anything that settles around the bottom is likely to be where the most contaminates are.
    I check state sites for the rivers and lakes I fish. They will usually make it easy to find out if levels are high enough to be concerned and even avoided.
    It is like everything else now days. If it is good they say it is bad for you. you be the judge.
    It has been a long time since I was made aware of any of this but I think my facts are still pretty close to what you might find. If Not I would be interested to know the truth. In the end you have to be the judge.

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its not safe to move Any fish from any body of water to another.. I especially wouldnt do it with that being a factor. Could lead to mass destruction of your healthy pond.:wink:

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    dont mess with the mercury, the pcbs will give ya cancer, but, i think once the merc is in the fish its forever, but who cars were going to stock it with blues and flats