A question for the more experienced

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by stumphumper, Nov 27, 2008.

1. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    I have fished the Edisto all but one day since last Saturday with almost no success with the cats. I have tried everything from worms, cut shad and herring, to live bream. The only fish caught have been small bullheads and channels. So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? The water has been on the rise and the temp has been up and down 4-5 degrees. Could that be the problem? Or is this just typical for the winter? Any pro tips?

BTW- The bass and jacks are hot on small spinnerbaits (Booyah Pond Magic in white w/ gold blades) , Bream and crappie are good on minnows 2-3 ft deep along the edges in the main river. Not in the backwaters.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! It's no secret that I struggle with cold weather, or winter cat patterns too. I just started seriously fishin' for cats last February, and had never been on the river fishin' in colder water. Still haven't figured it out. Hope to this year, and am anxious to hear replies here. River fishin' patterns are a heap different than lake patterns. I need to spend more time on the water than I have been able to lately.
    BB in SC

3. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    the fish move down river to deeper holes find the bate you will find the blues they are the same on all rivers an lakes find the deepest holes in your area sometimes they go 30mi but the bate go first then the blues they are easier to find in the winter than any other time they will be more concentrated even Flatheads they don't stop eating the are just slower to bite but they will be more concentrated but slow down an take extra time in these locations.the roundhill

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The fish still bite but as Roundhill said the flatheads slow down but will bite. The fish will gang up more in the deeper heavier current and will be in close proximity to feeder creeks. The fish seem to switch to mostly fresh cut baits and very rarelly live bait even the big flatheads. Try using some of the bullheads or channells for bait cut and live they love them. Also the fish will travel especially your bigger fish to follow the bait cause it takes more food to keep them going. The flatheads will group up in holes with current breaks and just stack up ontop of each other. If you ever catch a flathead fish that spot cause most likelly he is not alone. Dont be suprissed to find fish in holes or current breaks out in the center of the river.:wink: Also BE PATIENT if you mark some fish give them 30-45 minutes to bite but the fish will only bite in a short 2-3 hour interval. Also for the last week has been a new moon and in my experience the seem to do bettter around daylight and dark. I hope I didnt add to the confusion and Bill you are right you have to put your time in learn the patterns.

5. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    I put in at Blues landing and went down river to 3 creeks I was looking for ducks not fish. I should have been fishing. When I got to the bend in the river I saw a hole on the depth finder and marked several monster fish. Bill I thought I would put a bug in your ear. I don't fish during duck season. U might want to check it out.
    PEEDEE CAT

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I know the hole you speak of, Greg. There's a big eddy there. I may try 'em soon down that way.
    BB in SC

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    HeHe, I know where that is, too. Bill, you'd better be glad it's too long a drive for me to go up there and clean them out. :smile2:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! With all this modern fish findin' technology, locating them is the easy part, Tommy. Coaxing them to bite is a different story. :confused2:

Bill in SC

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ain't that's fo sho!

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Not when you're depth finder looks like an old Atari video game:smile2: I didn't even have a depth finder until a couple of months ago. Just read the river best as you can and learn through trial and error. However, a good depth finder does make things a lot easier that's for sure. I've found some good looking spots in the past month that we'd been just riding right over and by for the past year.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Right, Wes. There's sonars and fish finders, but no fish catchers. :wink: Fish catching still requires thought and decisions on the part of the participant. :big_smile:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's the truth if I ever heard it! BTW: I rode all over that hole last night, and the fish were NOT home. :confused2:
    Bill in SC

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Danny,
    I believe the others are right about the deeper water and about the fish moving down river. They will move as far down as they have to to find a good hole that they like.

I really belive the river conditions and temperature trend make all the difference when it gets colder like this. Remember that fishless trip of mine from about a month and a half ago? The rise in the water might be a good or a bad thing - since it has been a pretty slow steady rise, I would think that's not so bad. We did just go through like 2 weeks of unseasonably cold weather and the temperature of the water was dropping hard. I just looked at the water temperature graph from the USGS site and it has been stable and even rising slightly for the last few days. This would have been a good time to fish, except for all the rian. I don't know what the rain did to them - might turn them on or off. Basically, I like stable conditions whenever possible.

You might want to drop down river and give it a try. In past years I have taken a few nice flatheads and blues fishing the North Santee dwon around highway 17. Trying to do the same on the Edisto I tried fishing around Wiltown and got a few decent blues, but no flatheads (only during an afternoon - who knows if I waited after dark a bit?). If the weather stays mild I may try the holes around Wiltown next weekend. Actually, if the weather stays mild enough for several days in a row, then it's a good adie to try some of the shallower areas near the holes, too.

14. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Thanks to all for the good advice. I was lucky enough to keep the streak alive and hit the water everyday through the holiday. Today (Sunday) was the only day that was really bad as far as weather goes. Thursday I fished up the river at Wetstone Landing since I had to be in Aiken for dinner by 6. I stuck to fishing for bass and panfish with better than average luck. Friday I fished with my uncle in a natural lake off the Savannah River near Girrod Georgia. We kept 48 slab crappie. Saturday back to the lowcountry. I put yall's suggestions to the test and fished deep holes in the current near Good Hope Landing. Used cut shad, herring, and some bream. Ended up with 2 flatties (4 & 7 lbs), 6 channels. The largest was 12 lbs and the rest were between 2 & 4. Sunday I decided to look closer at what everyone suggested and noticed a common theme about moving down river. So I put in at Martin's and ran down river to an island with a deep swift channel on one side and a slower but still deep channel down the other. The slower side produced a small mess of bullheads, redbreasts and a 8 lbs channel on minnows fished under a slip cork set to bump the bottom for crappie. On the fast side I caught a 16 lbs blue on cut shad and had several hard knock downs before the weather just got to be too much.

River as of today: Muddy and obviously rising fast. Temp is back into the low 50's

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fantastic! Sounds like you got into some real nice fish - especially for December. 8 and 12 pound channels are darn good fish for the Edisto any day!

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Shoot, a double digit channel cat is a heck of a fish anywhere. There are some very, very accomplished catfishermen that have never landed a 10+lb channel cat. Lucky for me Sutton lake only has bigguns for some reason:smile2:

17. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Shouldn't have given that little nugget of information away.....Anybody wanna hit Sutton here soon?!:wink:

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Come on up man! It's about to be prime time for the channel cats in the ditch. When it gets completely unbearable at night that's the time to go. And for whatever reason, when the shad run in the river the channels in the lake are hot! A friend of mine caught a 22-13 out of there and in one night me and a buddy caught a 38in, 35in, and 33in channels. There are some niceuns in them thar waters:wink: