A question about wing dams

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fishhunter, Jul 6, 2006.

1. fishhunter

fishhunter New Member

State:
    lagrange,mo
    i went out monday evening to fish some wing damns on the mississippi above Quincy il. the first cast i caught an 8# flat. i was using 6" live shad. I was fishing off the point where it hit the channel. after that first cast i never caught another fish. i had lots of hits the only thing i caught was a big gar. do you think all those other bites were gar also? I was fishing in 20-30 feet of water. i didn't think gar really hung out that deep? I just can't figure out how to catch them cats consistently!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would try fishing a little shallower. I am going to bump this back up so maybe someone with more knowledge might see it and help though.

3. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    could have been gar. they usually stay out of the swift water for the most part but if they find your bait there and know its not going anywhere they might harass it for hours. i was out on the missouri monday and we got a few gar in swift water off the ends of the dykes. also were getting some smaller channels and blues so it might have just been the skeeters
    messing with your shad, dont know what the water temp is up there in the pool but the big ones are starting to come off the nest down here so stay on the water. theyre scattered but i got my dad out on the river saturday
    and he managed a 30lber so it wont be long.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    The gar have been a huge problem for me this year also. You are exactly correct, in that you usually wont have gar problems in fast and/or deep water, but this year has been different. I have a theory, but no facts to back it up but I think the shad populations are a lower this year possibly due to competition from the asian carps, low water conditions, and a poor spawn. In years past, I could get upwards of 50-60 shad in one cast in any number of the creeks that feed the big muddy, but this year a great throw yields only a dozen. If theres less shad to feed on, the gar might be changing there habits to find shad. I've surely noticed alot more gar in the fast water, thats for sure. Wolfman? Wolfie seems to have a very good knowledge of the effect of channelazation, commerical fishing, and the invasive species of carps. Hopefully he will chime in and fill us in. Wolfman? Wolfman? Bueler.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You guys are probably still at the tale end of the spawn up there too. Have you tried the dam around Canton yet?

6. fishhunter

fishhunter New Member

State:
    lagrange,mo
    i'm planning on trying that in the morning i'll let you know how it goes

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yeah give us a report, especially any honey holes you might come across. :big_smile: I'm fishing two tournaments back to back up that way in August, and was considering making a run up that way. Keep us posted and good luck.

8. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have had trouble with gar in a few deep holes in the Kaw....
    I have also noticed that when you are having trouble with gar, then they suddenly stop, chances are that some big cats have moved in and your fixing to hear you clicker go off!

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    thats a neat observation Chris. I hope to see that very soon. haha.

10. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I have also noticed an increase in gar this year. Ive also had a great deal of difficulty in finding shad in any numbers. maybe the theory of competition for food is right.hopefully it will turn around soon.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    this seems to be the norm for most fisherman I have spoke to also. Lots of gar problems. I've been using them for bait. The gut pocket, and the meat around there spine works pretty good. I tried gar two weeks ago out of desperation, and quickly put 3 cats in the boat, but all dinks. I couldnt make them hit the shad or herrings. Hopefully some of us will start finding some fish soon.

12. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    I've been pretty lucky not getting into too many Gar this year. I did find tons of shad early this year (dozens in a throw), now I get two or three which is still pretty good. I've been hitting the real real slack shallow water. two to three feet deep. Does any one use those BIG shad about a foot long? I've caught several and just cut them up and put chunks of them on my hook.

Does anyone use those big monster shad head for bait?

13. fishhunter

fishhunter New Member

State:
    lagrange,mo
    hey Cuz i was out all day yesterday. Same luck. i'm getting real good at finding the gar. not a single cat. which tournaments you fishing? i'm supposed to be in a couple. you ought to come on up here the next couple weekends we'll do a little fishing. i know most the river between quincy and canton. i just don't know how to catch the big ones. let me know it'll be fun.

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Heck Yeah We use them Big shad heads for bait, They are the best!!! the blue in My avatar came off a 12" shads head!
    on that note I've also used the head off of an 5 lb carp as well !!!!!
    now thats a big bait.

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Let no bait go to waist!! If you don't think your gear can handle it... Gear up as they say.

16. cross_their_eyes

State:
    Show Me State
    Holly C%&#$P Now that's a big bait. 5 pound carp head...you need a surf rod to throw that. I've been catching three or four - foot long shad everytime I go out. I'll give those big heads a shot. I guess you hook them through the eyes?

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Jason, I may try and head up that way in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know. I need to figure out some mileages on that section of river so I can plan for my tournaments. I dont like to run more than 50 miles either way if I dont have to. And for the carp heads, I do the same thing. I caught a 30 pound blue last year on an entire carps head. I'm guessing they weigh close to a pound and they are so heavy you cant even cast them. I always keep one huge bait on a rod and just drop it straight below the boat. Most days it doesnt get touched, but theres always that one day that the big one swims by and they love those big heads.

18. cross_their_eyes

State:
    Show Me State
    I can't believe a cat would try to swallow one of those bigs heads. Weird.