A question about the Largemouth Bass World Record

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by dreamcatcher, Sep 21, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Yesterday I came across an article on the IGFA website (International Game Fishing Association) that covered a recent catch by a guy who broke the world record for largemouth bass that has stood for 70 something years. The guy opted not to go through the process of submitting his catch for the record for various reasons, mostly though it was due to perceived peer pressure. Peer pressure!!!! Now I realize this is the most hallowed record (freshwater or otherwise in North America, heck maybe the world), but it seems to me that there is a process that IGFA has for all fish, why not let them do the disqualifying (if any) in relation to the catch? As the article goes the angler checked out some internet polls and the opinions were split down the middle toward whether his fish was legitimate or not. Now my thoughts lean toward the angler getting the credit if credit is due. Let the IGFA settle the issue. The "peers" in the community aren't going to want to see anyone shatter the record unless it's them. This record is going to fall one day like all others, why not now? It just seems like so much sour grapes to me...what will an angler have to do for a record catch to be A-ok with everyone in that community? Have the hookset puncture the lips 8 millimeters below the right eye parallel with the fish's lateral line? Do you need a football stadium load of witnesses to make everything all right? Please. If you catch a flathead that weighs 140 pounds people arent going to care as long as you hooked him the right way on rod and reel and got him in the boat/bank. Heck, it would be accomplishment enough to land such a beast without the politics attached to the catch.

I would like to hear from some of you present of former bass fishermen on this subject. What makes that record so special with everything having to be so perfect? Personally, they better pray that I dont get lucky and catch it fishing for flatheads. LOL. Anyway, what are some of your thoughts?

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Ok, I've never been a bass fisherman, but I'll respond anyway :tounge_out:

I think the bottom line is that it was foul hooked, never weighed on a certified scale, and the photo documentation was pretty limited. With the foul hook weighing on his mind, he just didn't bother with the rest of what is normally required for a record to be certified.

Eventually he realized that, despite these issues, he might still have a chance at the record. But at this point he had made up his mind that he didn't want to face the scrutiny. I thought it was a very ethical thing for him to do, but also a shame it cost him a chance at the record. I personally hope he catches it again and that everything lines up correctly to give him the record. He has earned it.

What is normally required for certifying state records seems reasonable..
    Legally Caught
    Weight on a Certified Scale
    Photo documentation
    Species Identification by a conservation agent or other expert.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    In his mind he has the world record and if it was legit, great job on his part. However, Breaking the world record Bass would be almost like hitting the lottery. VERY BIG MONEY..... All the T's have to be crossed and the i's dotted to accomplish this. I don't believe I've read the exact article that you mention but I've seen different ones on it and congrats to him.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If it was me Id go for the record, if denied for being foul hooked or whatever so be it. But I can understand why they wouldnt accept it if they didnt.

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_fea_bass_world-record_Weakley_25.1_chase-over

This is the article that was the basis of my post. Gary I understand all the basic criteria that most states require you to go through, especially when you are talking about this particular species, but it seemed to me that the IGFA would have considered it, albeit with a polygraph test probably. The hooking aspect was something I found interesting. There is a clause that speaks of "intentional foul hooking", which means that an unintentional foul hook might be considered. The gray area of course is that within the community it would have been frowned upon by many, which is why he ultimately decided not to pursue it.

6. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

By the way Gary, it was nice to meet you at the gathering...

7. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Maybe it's just that I want to see that record fall for once so all the hoopla is over. ROTFLOL. I dont think there is any other species record that is pampered as much as this one. I think it has got to the point that no one wants it to be broken, or want to be the guy to break it. What if a catfisherman were to break it? (Which is possible given the people that fish for flatheads with live bait) Man, they certainly wouldnt let you stand up on the podium and tell the world you got lucky and caught the world record on a circle hook and an Ugly Stik Tiger Rod.:lol: The powers that be would search every loophole imaginable to disqualify your catch even if it was legit. Personally, I feel it shouldn't go under no more scrutiny than any of the others. Catch the fish, take a few pictures, get it weighed on the proper scales, and get it identified by a biologist. Submit it to IGFA and let them decide what the deal is going to be, but putting peers in it? Sheesh, if you do that you will always back down from having a record catch...

8. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Personally, I think they deserve to have the scale certified and get the record, but I understand and commend them on their decision not to chase it. It sounds to me like these guys are true fishermen, out there for the love of the sport itself, not just for the glory of catching "the big one" and showing it off. I don't think it was their intention, but their choice will likely get them much more posative press than having chased the record and won it over.

9. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I don't know what separates a "true" fisherman from an untrue one, but these guys want the record. They just don't want the controversy, which is what they would have received if they had chosen to go the IGFA route. Records are made to be broken, and according to them they intend to do just that...

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Vic, It was good to meet you, too!

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont know all the regulations to qualify for the world record but Im sure its strict. I would love to see the record fall to someone using a big blob of liver or a live bluegill.:lol: I still dont get the peer pressure to not go for the record? If it was to keep the hole a secret I could understand but not because all my buddies would be mad at me. With all the money he would get for ads he could find new buddies to fish with who wouldnt get mad if he outfished them.

12. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I have read several stories about this. These guys are TROPHY hunters, not your everyday average bass fishermen...They fish strictly for a record bass.

They had been trying to catch this fish off its bed for quite awhile. They set the hook thinking the fish had the bait in its mouth but it actually didn't therefore the bass was hooked under the bottom jaw from the outside (from what I read elsewhere) These guys knew for a fact that someone had seen the fish get caught & knew it wasn't a "Legal" bite. That is the reasoning for them not going after the record book, they knew it would not meet the requirements.

I guarantee you these guys had the rest of their ducks in a row...The record is the reason they were there!

13. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I have read that story many times and I believe he made the right decision not to have it certified based on his account of the story. If the IFGA still wants to certify it than that's their right. The one thing most of you are overlooking is the fact that there can be a lie detector test that has to be passed with some record breaking fish. They use these alot in BASS tournaments when there is a suspicion of wrong doing. Lately there have been alot of disqualified winners. I myself would have had it certified and then let the IFGA decide the fate of the record.

14. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I have to agree with that. Just look at how much the bass fishing has changed since 1932 until now. Imagine just going to the local lake, fishing for fun and to feed the family, and catching the world's largest bass. Its a great story with such a great classic theme to it. George Perry and his friend were even taking turns casting the 7 dollar rod and reel out of a canoe. They didn't each have 10 setups and hundreds of lures at hand. Nobody wants to destroy a great story like that with one like, "Well, we saw this fish and fished it for 3 days straight before it inhaled my 3oz. jig." That may be what sets the good ole record apart from all these new ones. The guys fishing back in 1932 were just fishing for the same reason we do, that little idea in our head tells us to go to the local pond or river and catch a few catfish.

Thats just my look at it. Nobody likes change. Nobody wants to ruin the idealistic story of George Perry and his friend who got the lunker, weighed it at the local post office, and finally fed the family with it.

Personally I am very glad the guy who got the 25 pounder didn't even try to get it qualified as a record bass.

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    The way I understand it,the IGFA would consider a foul hooked fish.....BUT...the state of Ca. requires it to be released immediatly....I think.

By the way,I went to the IGFA last year on vacation and was very dissapointed...lots of broken interactive displays,no guides for questions,not laid out well.Had more fun next door at bass pro.

16. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    As I understand it a "foul hooked" fish doesn't disqualify it from being a record as long as it was unintentional. That fish would have been the new world record! And from what I have read these guy's are nothing but tropy hunters and have caught bass in the past that have come very close to breaking the record so there's a good chance one of them will still get it. That's why they didn't pursue the record, they have that much confidence that they can catch that fish or another one and get the record with NO arguements.
    As far as the current record... folks hate to see it broken because it has become more than a record, it's a legend amongst bass fisherman. It's become the "holy grail" of bass fishing and once it's gone it will be the end of an era and the begining of a new one... a lot of people just don't like change.