A quality reel on a budget..

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by alton, May 17, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I could not agree more. I own an Okuma Classic Pro 202 and the 302.
    I have never had problems with either. Cannot beat the quality for the money, brass and stainless gearing, and a solid drag. I also owned a Tidewater and gave it away. I have since bought 3 Abu's 2 6500 and a 7000 series Pro Rockets which are excellent. But for the money, Okuma is tough to beat.

2. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    IMO you can't beat E Bay if your willing to wait and play your cards right you can get some great deals on reels and for me especially Garcia's. I totally love my Abu Garcia reels and there performance. Check with BPS and Cabella's to find out what new in the box reels cost and don't get caught up in a bidding war with someone that is countering every bid you place. There are plenty more where the one your bidding on came from. I have had a wonderful success with all sellers and shipping is super fast. You can get used or display models or new in the box. If you by a display model Garcia is great about sending via email the paper work on any of there reels.

Catch the big ones

Kirk

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    For a good reel @ a reasonable price I recomend the Pen 209m I paid 40.00 for mine brand new and its a powerhouse. and parts are easy to get.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this. If you can find the red 209 penn reel you will find a good buy. Last forever. :lol: :smile2:

5. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    okuma and pen are 2 of my favorites. I have pen209 for the boats and use a okuma spinning for shore and boat. love em both still lookin for more...

6. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    You cant beat Penn. I bought two Penn 209's off Ebay for around $25.00 a piece and they are wonderful. Both are older, red Penns. Ebay realy does have great deals.

7. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I agree penn 209 best for the money !!!

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There's also the debate of what is a bargain. If the reel don't last, and you have to buy a new one each year or more, then you're spending more for a reel in the long run. I'm partial to the ambassadeur reels and am using ones I've had for over 20 years.

I just got a 9000 Big Game from Rogers Sporting Goods, out of Liberty Mo. It actually throws as easy or easier than my 7000s. Rogers sporting goods has a web site and they are selling the 9000BG reels for 69.99! For a reel that normally sells for 150.oo or more, that's a hell of a bargain! It should last for alot of years with just a little maintinance.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Well I may have messed up, but hope not. I bought two ABU 6000's, and the most I paid was $44.50 ea.; off e-bay. They're new, and made in Sweden. I look for there to be a scramble for the swedish units as the Tiawan units take over, but I could be wrong. I have a Penn No. 9 that is cherry, and there's no comparison to the ABU's. I'll watch for the Okuma's though. Thanks.

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Go to wal mart and for 60 buck get a ABU 6000 you will love it and it will catch any fish

11. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have 7 Okuma Magda Pros w/linecounters that I use for drifting. Great reels for the money. Had them for two years now without any complaints.:wink:

12. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I've had my Tidewater for about two years now, and except for having to keep an eye on the drag setting, I haven't had any complaints. However, this only sees light use, no more than four trips per year. The catfish where I live just don't get very big.

-- Rich

13. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    A friend of mine has Okuma reels and he has never had one problem with them. Take care and God Bless.