A Q for you Conventional reel users

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by jtrew, Oct 31, 2005.

1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    From what I could find on the web, that reel is similar to a Penn Senator 4/0 reel. Both are designed for trolling or bottom fishing, rather than casting. The only place I can think of where you might want to use such a reel is if you were after trophy sized fish in logjams or other such places where you would only be pitching the bait a few feet rather than making a normal cast. You also might be able to use it while drift fishing, although it would definitely be oversized for that. I have a Penn 4/0 Senator, and I consider 30# line to be the very lightest I would ever put on it, and I've never had any line lighter than 50# on it. I've used it a lot in saltwater, but never in freshwater. I've got some smaller reels that are heavy enough to handle 80#-120# line, and any catfish I need that weight line to bring in. So, I guess I'm really saying that it's not a very good reel for catfishing, but it is possible to find a small niche where it possible to use it if you absolutely want to for sentimental reasons.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That reel was desigend to be a trolling reel, thus it will be hard to cast...You can use it as a casting reel, but dont expect very good preformance from it.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Sealine 300H
    Offshore Trolling Reel
    Average Retail Price $119.99
    Bearings: 2BB
    Gear Ratio: 3.7:1
    Line Capacity: 25/360, 30/310, 40/230
    Weight: 22.9 oz

they are a fine reel but like was said before very poor for casting but if your going to fish a deep lake for some big kittys and just dropping over the side of a boat its a awesome reel for that or for heavy duty sturgeon and striper fishing.

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    may work well if you fish any smaller spillways......

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Did you say the Delaware? LOL! I darn near live on that river. Fish it constantly. Good to have ya on board with us. Get over to the New Jersey section and ya will find a thread on the Delaware. Lookin forward to talkin to ya.

6. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

You have been given a lot of advice as far as what it could be used for,
    my thinking on it is, you wont get as much satisifaction useing it as you
    may get from keeping it,because it was from your GRANDPA.
    KIRK :)