A PROBLEM WITH TIGHT LINING

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 27, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    OK I GOT A PROLEM U GOT A SOLUTION WEN I TIGHT LINE THE FISH BENDS THE ROD AND IT WONT COME OUT OF THE HOLDER OR IT WIL BEND THE GO BACK UP, THIS IS WHY I SWITCHED TO CLIKKERS WITH KAELS INSTEAD OF CIRCAL TIGHT LINE, ANY BODY EXPERIECE THIS, IF SO WHAT YALL DO, IM STILL GOING TO TIGHT LINE A POLL BUTT THE REST ARE ALL ON CLIKERS,

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sometimes I use a large spinning reel and loosen the drag up a little, This way I can get the rod out of the holder and the fish still gets hooked. I have one reel that you can adjust the tension on the clicker, works great. With circles or Kahles.:big_smile:

3. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    Hey bro what kind of rod holders do you use? I myself keep the drag fairly tight because here lately i have missed a bunch of fish do to my drag set to low the rod holders i use they are very good imo they hold the rod plus the reel in place the fish hit it but cant move the holder even if its a hog it dont budge then when he hits it usually hooks himself and i pull up rod holder and all and reel him up usually the holder falls off at my feet but have pulled some in with rod holder still attached the whole time.:smile2::crazy:.And the drag i just play as i bring in the fish i have a good system that i use when i fish and its never failed me yet.:big_smile:

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I had to learn to pull up on the rod above the reel and push down on the but end to get them out of the holder....I think that's the way it goes , I cant tell unless I'm standing in front of it...but you should get the idea. I tight line and wont sacrifice a lower drag setting. Practice what I said and it eventually becomes second nature to ya. I yank them as fast as lightning LOL...other new folks on the boat struggle like your talking about...give it try if your holder type will allow this method to work.

-Jim-

5. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Are you fishing from a boat or bank rod holders? Either way, I like a loose fitting rodholder, and another thing is that a lot of people set their rod too deep in the holder. Whether you're using circles or set hooks(J style or kahles) I set in the holder so just the butt of the rod is in the back end of the holder, that way you're not fumbling with the reel or the rest of the rod handle while getting on the fish. |I've never lost a rod this way and have had fish double the rod over in the holder. I hope this helps!:big_smile: GOOD LUCK & GOOD FISHING!

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Try positioning the holder at a slight angle and only put 3 quarters of your handle in the holder. Give it a good tug to make sure it secure. It will come out real quick this way.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    its ok bro, you will enjoy the clickers for years to come. lol

8. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I use drift master duo rod holders on my pontoon and i just lift on the front of the rod while in the holder which turns the fish and gives me the slack to pull the rod out. I also use circle hooks. Hope this helps.

GARY:big_smile:

9. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I am a bank fisherman,and I fish with big spinning reals, and I like to leave my bail open as long as I am setting there watching the poles, then when I see it take off I can reach over and take my pole out of the holder, and then flip the bail closed and set the hook. I use a sliding sinker and a single hook. The pole holders I use are some home made ones that I made out in the garage out of 1/4 inch rod spring steel and 1/2" angle, and they work very well for me. But I don't catch the big cat hear that that you guys do in the eastern states..