A Problem Catching Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by MattyGfishing, Jun 22, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    I have wanted to fish a body of water that has huge carp, and has little to no fishing pressure on them, because they are unpopular in Michigan. I've heard stories of thirty pounders, and I have seen fifteen to twenty pounders myself. The fishing area had some weeds, but nothing that would cause a problem. The lake bottom was clay, and visibility was only a two feet. No sunfish to deal with either. So I gave it a shot, I have fished there three times, all for six hours at a time, with no luck AT ALL. Prebaiting with sweet corn, I used five pieces of sweet corn, on a hair rig (#8 octopus hook). Some rigs with braid (15lb.) some with mono (8lb.), and checking the condition of the bait every hour. Am I doing anything wrong? Any tips or suggestiongs?

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Are they feeding on top? There is a link in the library about topwater fishing with bread. :wink:

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You might also pm mcwrestler he seems to be the forum expert on carp!

4. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    here in ohio its legal to snag forage fish.carp is the only thing i would ever snag, just to make that clear. i bass fish too and one day i snagged one on acident with a bass lure. it was about 25lbs and felt like i was deep sea fishing. the marina by my house gets full of them in a little back creek.15-30lbers. i put a treble on and a sinker about a foot down through out and reel till you bump something, jerk and hold on!! its a blast and legal here! check the regs up there if its legal give it a try you won't be dissapointed!! shane

5. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks, but I am by no means an "expert", I am just dedicated. In fact, I fished for close to 20 hours between 2 days at a certain place and I managed one fish, and it was caught early on the second day that I fished. I know many carp can be smart, but this was insane. I do have some pictures to post of my fish though along with the story. A prequel: It weighed over 12lbs and is not your typical carp, well worth all the effort I put into it.

As for the question at hand. How far out where you fishing? Did you actually see the carp during your trips. How deep is the area and is it always low visibility? How much did you chum?

I do not know a lot about tactics for Michigan since I am from TN and the climates are very different but I can always try to help.

6. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    How far out where you fishing?: My rigs were about 60-70 feet out from shore, towards the docks at which I had seen the carp.

Did you actually see the carp during your trips?: Yes, in fact yesterday was my latest trip and I saw a 12-15 pouder, same area that I fished and had seen them before.

How deep is the area and is it always low visibility?: It's a small marina, I'm guessing around 10-15 feet deep.

How much did you chum?: About 1 full sandwich bag of sweetcorn.

7. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    I use the same set up and anchor by a grain elevator where the corn falls in from the barges my pole never sits idle for more than 2 min big carp fun times. The only problem is barges coming and going with a 14 foot lund they scare the shit out of me. I am also on river rescue and pulled drowned victims out not fun.

:wink:

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i agree with matt, mcwrestler knows how to getum. if im not mistaken, thats his thang.

9. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As far as length away, it is good to fish where you have seen them, but do not neglect the margins (area near the bank). I will place on rod at distance and one in the margins within 15 feet of shore, my last carp came 3 ft from shore.

You saw them so that is a sign they are in the area, just have to get them eating. This is where chumming will come in. A sandwich bag full will take 1 5lb carp about 30 seconds to consume. I am a believer in it is hard to over chum the carp. For chumming I would still use sweetcorn, but you may look into 50lb bags of field corn if you want to chum more for cheaper. 1 gallon of corn thrown out will be a good start if you know there are enough carp in the area.

Here is how I would try your area. If you can cast to where the boats are docked at the marina do that and also fish where you have seen them. I cannot speak for your marina, but at ours the carp love it under the dock and the owners of the boat slip feed the carp from time to time. This is why I would try bread on one rod. Either float it off bottom or hair rig it and sink it. I think I will do a thread on hair rigging the bread soon. If you have a 3rd rod to use I would toss a can of sweetcorn about 10ft or less from the bank and then cast hair rigged sweetcorn at the edge of the baited area. Carp seem to start feeding in the middle but then really work the edges as they go back and forth. And always remember persistence pays off.

Forgot to add, if the carp are being finicky you may cut the corn on the hair down to 3 pieces, maybe even 2 or 1. Sometimes they realize somethings wrong when 5 are together.

10. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is legal in most states, and I am sure the fight is good. But I usually try to get the carp to actually take my bait in their mouth instead of just snagging them. Plus, I have caught carp who were worse for wear with snag wounds on the back appearing infected and missing scales and had skin peeling. To me it is not a problem in the lakes, but I dealt with a guy snagging in a small pond the other day, but I will describe more of that when I get around to posting the story of that trip. For catch and release I would recommend rod and reel.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

You need to bait up your fishing hole for about 3 to 5 days. That will get the crap (carp) to frequent your hole looking for food. Chummin one time with sweetcorn is NOT going to attract the crap. You need a major baiting campaign!

Also, try maize instead of canned corn!