A pretty day on a pretty day...

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by C_wernett, Mar 17, 2008.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hit one of my favorite creeks to fish on Saturday, this most recent frontal weather was setting up for a beautiful morning with upper 70's weather and a change in barometric pressure sure to trigger SOMETHING to bite. So I packed up the family and after hitting one smaller creek to let the kids help me out in catching some bait, we headed down to our little spot and set up. I put out a rod with a standard "fish-finder" rig for bowfin or cats and started throwing jigs and light weighted drifted worms on the UL setup for sunfish or whatever might pick up.

Well, it wasn't long and the cutbait rod started to bounce, I set the hook up good and battled in a nice 5lb. bowfin. Got her set back up, started jigging a whole 'crawler on the UL rod and hooked up with about a 3lb. bowfin. Just as I was getting that one back into the water the cut rod went tight again, I set the hook but the fish was in some sticks and the line popped, wasn't sure how big the fish even was. After a small break to retie, I got a bait back into the water and was picked up before it even hit the bottom, this time it was a 6 1/4lb. bowfin. Then, while casting a section of crawler I caught my first NC yellow perch, and a beauty at that, almost 12" long!

The bite slowed up a little bit, as the tide water was finally starting to reach the upper parts of the creek, but then the bait rod went again, and I caught a nice colored male bowfin, about 2lbs, but the fight felt weird and when I got him in, he wasn't even hooked, my hook had got wrapped around the leader that I had broke off earlier, when he went for the second bait! A little bit after that I dragged in another hard fighting, long, skinny, 6lb. bowfin. A small shellcracker and bluegill bite had started on the UL rod, but nothing of any size, and we had plenty of cutbait already so I threw them all back. Then I went to check the bait rod which had sat for a while, took two turns on the handle and the drag started pulling off! Thought it was a beast at first, but it's hard to tell on bowfin sometimes, because they just fight so hard! Still was big fish for the day though, at 6 1/2lbs.

By this point, we'd been fishing for a couple of hours, and the kids were getting hungry and the wife wanted to do some crusing around to see if we could get any good wildlife photos, which we only managed some decent turtle shots, and then headed our way back home...it started to rain just after getting home. Days don't usually turn out that well, so I've even included some pictures! Enjoy....

Attached Files:

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here are a few more...got some good ones this trip!

Attached Files:

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Winds are supposed to die down a bit tonight into tomorrow, so a buddy and I are heading back to the creak to see if we can have some more fun with the bowfin! Everyone put in your "ten pounder" prayers for us!!!