a post lol

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 1, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this ones for yall, ive noticed wen fishing lakes theflats will realy run, in a river , not so much, any bros notice this, like i say this is my experice, so if you like lakes, better runs, the reoson for this is the lack of cover, anybody with me on that,like i said thats my experince, feel free to discus my post lol, that are destroying this site,lol

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my experience, I fish a river and the flatheads are haulin the mail when they hit.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats cool,i think your down river , im talking around tail racis, no boat yet here,

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I fish in quite a few tailrace areas and most of my fish are in high gear by the time I grab my pole and set.Seems to me like the current makes them take off more once they hit it.:big_smile:

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont agree, the flats I catch are hauling butt when they hit, and I fish rivers.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    looks like i may be wrong, maby i should hit the river again, i never said i was right, it was just my experice, hell im wrong 50 percent of the time, lets keep it rolling,

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I've caught flats that kept the fight in a small area but wouldn't come up and i've caught them where I lost almost all my line.. all in the river. I think it depends on the fish his and his energy level. I move slower some days than others... figures a fish might to..

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    there bite verys more than other cats, you can never realy tell sometimes they dont bite but there on, then sometimes they run

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most of the ones I catch take off like their tail is on fire and rip the drag....I fish big lakes!:cool2:

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agree john we always do

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Every once in a while you find one that is in no hurry. They just eat and hang out a bit but once they know they are hooked they sure do run.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep, in dams especially, they dont even move, try bait bouncing with a king kael,

13. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Question_ Are most of you guys river fishing at night? I've noticed that at night, especially on shallow flats and transition areas, they tend to run more often than not. Most likely because they're more aggressively feeding in these areas. Although, during daylight hours, which is when i do most of my fishing(I hate navigating my boat on the river at night by myself:embarassed:)in deep holes with big logjams and rootwads, where you have to hit them on the head to bite. They simply hit the bait hard once and spit it out, or they just put a steady or bouncing tension on the rod after the initial thump. Which is when you would set the hook. I don't have much experience fishing flats on lakes or reservoirs and i've only exclusively been fishing rivers for them for a year, but i logged in a lot of hours fishing for them none-the-less. Just wondering what some of the more experienced fisherman have noticed.:big_smile: P.S. I know a lot of you fish exclusively at night and may never have tried during the daylight hours, but believe it or not, I caught most of my fish and better fish during the day-GO FIGURE!:confused2:

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    that is a sciece fact, they realy are not hunters there abushers, but at dark they move, alot for many reosons, but they tend to stay close to there nest, unlike blues, there hunters and run the colum, flats are in heavy cover in the day wating on a fish to come near, thats why you dont get runs, at night they go on a short prowl to do many things, to fight to feed , and to scout more territory, thats wen you get the runs on your cliker,,in fisherman goes into great detail on that, pic it up, before its gone,

15. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    That's exactly what i meant brother!:wink:

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im no expert but in my exsperance when im catching more that one fish is when i get the hard fast runs.i think its cause theres other fish there and they trying to guard their catch.when i go all nite for one bite the bite seems to not be as violent.but thats just my take on it.

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agre with poisenpits on that,