A pleasant surprise on a pleasant day

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by kyredneck, Apr 13, 2009.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Last week was Spring break so the wife was off work, had a couple nice days so I put the boat on the river, mostly to play with the boat and get the trim tabs I installed on it adjusted, so I really wasn't too serious about fishing, besides the river was up and flowing hard (but it wasn't trashy). I threw a couple of ultralight poles in the boat along with a tackle box and we zoom off downstream and eventually end up at the mouth of Howard's creek, and lo & behold Howard's Creek is clear and there's a distinct mud line across the mouth of the creek. I rummage around in the tackle box and find some dried wax worms from last year and tip some jigs with them and BAM, we start catching some decent crappie and hybrid stripers at the mud line on these ol' dried up wax worms (and the sad thing is I left 100 minnows back at the boat dock, it was too close to dark to go back and get them). Anyway, I had to rummage around and come up with this cheap stringer to put the fish on because I never even brought a bucket or cooler or basket to put the fish in (like I said I wasn't too serious about fishing). We got about 30-45 mins of decent fishing in before we had to head back because it was getting dark. This is what we caught in that time. Didn't slay them, but had fun mostly because it was unexpected...........

Attached Files:

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Got to love that, I didnt do well crappie fishin this weekend the weather had the crappie screwed up, they just wouldnt hit.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Nice stringer there Larry:wink:

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Oh, and I forgot to mention, every one of those crappie and white bass were full of shad. I really, really, need to learn how to find and net shad from this river, but i know of no one that does it here. ????